Senators 2016-2017 ECF Roster vs Projected 2018-2019 Roster

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'm hoping we address our goaltending this summer. Anderson and Condon shouldn't be our goalie duo next yr. Also if we trade Karlsson we're going to get 2 or 3 good roster players back hopefully and a 1st in 2019 so that should improve our team.

Reactions: NB613

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
Dorion needs to address the defence. As thin as our forward lineup is, the defence has the potential to be absolutely comical if Karlsson is gone.

A respectable LD from free agency would dramatically decrease the chances we hand COL at top 5 pick.

As for the forwards, Hoff should stay, IMO. He's a fairly priced guy who demonstrated great chemistry with Duchene during the last few weeks of the season. Let him rebound and then sell him with higher value if we still feel he's not part of the long-term solution.

We can’t just move Karlsson for picks. We need picks, prospects and young roster players.

Theodore, 2019 first, Tuch, Glass, 2020 2nd would be my ask from Vegas, or some combination of that.

That would be a pretty nice haul, I doubt McPhee bites though.

Glass is a sweet prospect and I think Tuch could end up a 1/2 C. They'll also be cheap for quite a few years.

The possibility of EK leaving after 1yr will scare them off, in my opinion. Even if he doesn't, that's a lot of cheap talent to part with for a $10+ M dman burdened by a long injury history.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I'd like to see this.

Hoffman-Duchene-White
Ryan-Brown-Stone
Dzingle-Pageau-Gaborik/Chlapik
Smith-Paul-Pyatt

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolainin-CecI
Boro-Wideman
Harpur

This team would have to play a more wide open style. Something like the current Devils team. I don't see them being able to defensively stifle any of the elite teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newgates59

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I'd like to see this.

Hoffman-Duchene-White
Ryan-Brown-Stone
Dzingle-Pageau-Gaborik/Chlapik
Smith-Paul-Pyatt

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolainin-CecI
Boro-Wideman
Harpur

This team would have to play a more wide open style. Something like the current Devils team. I don't see them being able to defensively stifle any of the elite teams.

Hoffman-Duchene-White
Dzingle-Brown-Stone
Chlapik-Pageau-Ryan
Smith-Paul-Pyatt

I switch Ryan and Dzingle because with Brown Stone and Ryan.. That's a very slow line. Dzingle's speed would be a great add and he showed to be able to complete play, go to the net, etc, Also, Pageau and Ryan showed chemistry in the past.
I'm ok with Hoffman-Duchene and White.. But we could also swap White and Ryan if needed.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Hoffman-Duchene-White
Dzingle
-Brown-Stone
Chlapik-Pageau-Ryan
Smith-Paul-Pyatt

I switch Ryan and Dzingle because with Brown Stone and Ryan.. That's a very slow line. Dzingle's speed would be a great add and he showed to be able to complete play, go to the net, etc, Also, Pageau and Ryan showed chemistry in the past.
I'm ok with Hoffman-Duchene and White.. But we could also swap White and Ryan if needed.
I think he should start there,and let his offensive game grow,we all know he is going to go hard on the forecheck and in the corners..And thats something that line could use

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't see a lot of change aside from letting the prospects fight for spots.

Dzingel-Duchene-Hoffman ---> Speedy top 6 line
Ryan-Pageau-Stone ---> Stone makes any line effective, similar group was effective to start last year
Zadina/Tkachuk/Formenton/Smith-Brown-White ---> Kid line has talent,
Paajarvi/Formenton-Batherson/Paul/UFA-Pyatt ---> Pyatt and Paajarvi are solid 4th line options, Not sure I want Batherson centering them though. Paul isn't ready so the line could be rough.

Chabot-Karlsson ---> Good top pair
Boro/Wolanin-Ceci ----> I think this can be a good bottom 4 pairing, too good for 3rd, not good enough for 2nd pair
Boro/Wolanin-Harpur/Jaros/Wideman ---> a bit questionable as a bottom pair, reliant on kids stepping up or re-signing Wideman and running with a sheltered bottom pair which we can do without hurting the top 4.

Anderson-Condon

So, that lineup including the 10 mil in dead money towards MacArthur, Burrows, Gaborik and Phaneuf comes to around 70-71 mil.

If we're willing to go after a UFA to prop up the D, I could see one of de Haan, Hickey, Cole or Emelin being targeted for a bottom 4 role. Maybe Jack Johnson, though I think he might be done tbh.

I'd like to trade off Smith for futures, let a kid play in his place. We could buy out Gaborik and Burrows to save a bit of money, though Burrows I'd probably try and send to Belleville as a player coach.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I think he should start there,and let his offensive game grow,we all know he is going to go hard on the forecheck and in the corners..And thats something that line could use
You mean White? I saw you bolded him but Dzingle Ryan and Chlapik were stilled bolded, so that's why i asked

I agree with what you are saying. I know White isn't necessarely ready for 1st line duty. But he showed chemistry with Duchene and he is ready to do the dirty work. And if they want to implement young player, that's the right thing to do..

The way i would like White to play would be to let Duchene take the faceoff since he is good at it, but then play the center role after the faceoff as been drop. Let Duchene and Hoffman play the more offensive role, while White play the more 200th game which is his game. Just an idea.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You mean White? I saw you bolded him but Dzingle Ryan and Chlapik were stilled bolded, so that's why i asked

I agree with what you are saying. I know White isn't necessarely ready for 1st line duty. But he showed chemistry with Duchene and he is ready to do the dirty work. And if they want to implement young player, that's the right thing to do..

The way i would like White to play would be to let Duchene take the faceoff since he is good at it, but then play the center role after the faceoff as been drop. Let Duchene and Hoffman play the more offensive role, while White play the more 200th game which is his game. Just an idea.
Yep my thoughts exactly on White

Reactions: Newgates59

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Oh perfect, so the plan is hope to sneak in and do some damage lol. This should go great.

You can interpret it however you wish to. That certainly fits your narrative. Whether it is squeaking in, or winning the division, who the hell knows at this stage? Squaking in sometimes works for a team that gels late, other choke finishing higher up. I want to see Ottawa back in the playoffs, and they want to make the playoffs next year.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I'm hoping we address our goaltending this summer. Anderson and Condon shouldn't be our goalie duo next yr.

How do we trade them? They are coming off terrible seasons and both have two years left with quite a bit of money owed to them. Do you buy one out? I think we’re stuck with them.

Reactions: Cosmix

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Hoffman - Duchene - White
Dzingel - Chlapik - Stone
Tkachuk - Pageau - Ryan
Batherson - Paul - Gagne

Chabot - Karlsson
Woalanin - Wideman
Boro - Jaros

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
When was this and what was said?

He’s here. No one picked him up. He’s a high character veteran, that’s the reason we got him last year. Alex has to be better. Alex knows it. He was told. (Clearing waivers) may be a bit of a wake-up call.”

Quote from Dorion on 26/02/2018

Reactions: Pierre in Orleans

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
He’s here. No one picked him up. He’s a high character veteran, that’s the reason we got him last year. Alex has to be better. Alex knows it. He was told. (Clearing waivers) may be a bit of a wake-up call.”

Lol what are they expecting a 37 year old to do at this point in his career? Kick it up to another gear? Dorion is delusional

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That trade looked bad from the start and got worse fast
I'm not going to defend the trade but Burrows made several plays in the playoffs two seasons ago that resulted in wins & specifically resulted in the game winner that sent Ottawa into the second round. If I remember correctly you also commented on it at the time. He had a bad yr last yr as the whole team did & probably should have retired before the start of last season.

Were the plays he made in the playoffs two yrs ago worth the trade? Who knows, but most I think enjoyed the playoff run & being one goal from being in the SCF. Whether we like it or not he had a part in that, although the extend of that part I'm sure for some will be arguable.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Burrows has already retired! You can see it in his play. There is no wake-up in him at this point.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hoffman - Duchene - White
Dzingel - Chlapik - Stone
Tkachuk - Pageau - Ryan
Batherson - Paul - Gagne

Chabot - Karlsson
Woalanin - Wideman
Boro - Jaros

I don’t think White will play on the first line as he does not have the elite skills required. Stone or Ryan will be on line 1.

I think White may play on the third or 4th Line, but he could just as probably be AHL bound to improve his game.

Chlapik might play on the 4th Line but he too could just as likely be in the AHL too.

I view Paul, Tkackuk, Batherson and Gagne are similarly doubtful to make the NHL roster considering the contracts with Pyatt, Burrows and Gaborik. I don’t think buyouts will occur.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I don’t think White will play on the first line as he does not have the elite skills required. Stone or Ryan will be on line 1.

I think White may play on the third or 4th Line, but he could just as probably be AHL bound to improve his game.

Chlapik might play on the 4th Line but he too could just as likely be in the AHL too.

I view Paul, Tkackuk, Batherson and Gagne are similarly doubtful to make the NHL roster considering the contracts with Pyatt, Burrows and Gaborik. I don’t think buyouts will occur.

I think Burrows gets bought out.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

cheer up will ya.. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad