News Article: Senators’ Mike Condon back with a clean slate

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Senators’ Mike Condon back with a clean slate

I am encouraged, despite his performance last. Condon, now 28 in prime, will be a very important piece this year as I suspect he will play at least 25-30 games behind Grumpy Ol' Anderson.

Goaltending is the biggest question mark and if that can be solidified by our goalies who have performed in the past, there remains a possibility that this team won't be bottom-5 (with status quo wrt current roster).

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
For his sake I hope he bounces back.

The fact that Steve Mason doesn't even have a tryout offer right now indicates what kind of goalie market it is.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If he can prove he's closer to the goalie he was in 2016-17 than he was in 2017-18 (and 2015-16 with the Habs) it would go a long way towards stabilizing the team.

I don't have high hopes, but I really hope I'm proven wrong.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think if Condon plays more games then Andy it's a good thing. He's got a full season in him of playoff quality starts, but it has to be this year, or it'll never happen.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Scary that both of the Sens goalies have 2 years left on their contracts at big dollar hits.
If neither of these guys rebounds, that will be a colossal failure on Dorion.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Scary that both of the Sens goalies have 2 years left on their contracts at big dollar hits.
If neither of these guys rebounds, that will be a colossal failure on Dorion.[/QUOTE

But chances are one of them does rebound this year and you ride that guy.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Both of our goalies were terrible last year, so only way to go is up. Hopefully they can earn some of that big dough we're paying them.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
This team has their backs against the wall. Nobody expects them to make the playoffs. A combination of focus on youth movement, coaching tactics, and a healthy roster can propel this team to finish in the 20-25 range (as sad and pathetic as it sounds). I.e. it's possible that this team doesn't finish bottom-3 to give up first overall to the Avs.

Both goalies cannot be as bad as they were last season. A lot of anomalies last year, and a broken locker room/health of star players can do that.

With added peskiness that is part of this team's DNA over the decade, I won't be surprised to see a bubble team. Hope we get a full seasons from 65, Stone, Duchene, Ryan, Dzingel, Pageau, Chabot, and both goalies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
This team has their backs against the wall. Nobody expects them to make the playoffs. A combination of focus on youth movement, coaching tactics, and a healthy roster can propel this team to finish in the 20-25 range (as sad and pathetic as it sounds). I.e. it's possible that this team doesn't finish bottom-3 to give up first overall to the Avs.

Both goalies cannot be as bad as they were last season. A lot of anomalies last year, and a broken locker room/health of star players can do that.

With added peskiness that is part of this team's DNA over the decade, I won't be surprised to see a bubble team. Hope we get a full seasons from 65, Stone, Duchene, Ryan, Dzingel, Pageau, Chabot, and both goalies.
We've seen the difference a healthy dominating Karlsson can make. He was a shadow of himself last year even after he picked it up near the end of the season, but with his pending UFA status and finally being healthy, I think he's gonna kill it.

Just need a hot start or all we'll hear about is what's trade speculation of the UFA core 4.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The one thing the Sens have going for them is that there aren't any expectations. There isn't much pressure since everyone expects them to be bad.

If a rookie or two have solid seasons and surprise, and the goalies rebound ... You never know what's going to happen.

Reactions: topshelf15

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
If he can prove he's closer to the goalie he was in 2016-17 than he was in 2017-18 (and 2015-16 with the Habs) it would go a long way towards stabilizing the team.

I don't have high hopes, but I really hope I'm proven wrong.

Re: Condon's time with the Habs, it was his first year in the NHL, Price got hurt and he got thrown to the wolves so to speak playing 55 games and over 3000 minutes.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
If both goalies rebound to the level they are capable of playing this team is easily in contention for a bubble spot (7-11), especially if the young guys like Chabot/Tkachuk/Dzingel/White/Brown/Wolanin play well. The core vets Karlsson/Stone/Duchene/Pageau and other vets like Ryan/Boro/Ceci (lol) are all relatively young and blend very well with the youth imo! This could be one of the fastest Sens teams we've seen in a while.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Re: Condon's time with the Habs, it was his first year in the NHL, Price got hurt and he got thrown to the wolves so to speak playing 55 games and over 3000 minutes.

I'm aware of the circumstances. Point remains that he's 28 year old who has been terrible for (roughly) 2/3rds of his NHL career. It's entirely possible that we overpaid a career backup (that might even be generous) based on a small sample size.

I hope he's the answer, because I don't think Anderson is in for the resurgence some around here expect. I have even less confidence in Condon though.

Reactions: CanadianHockey

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I see no reason to not expect a bounceback performance from both goalies, especially Condon since he'll have a shot at being our number 1 while Anderson sees a decrease in workload due to age.

The odds of both of them sucking as much as they did last year are very low.

Reactions: Sensinitis

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'm aware of the circumstances. Point remains that he's 28 year old who has been terrible for (roughly) 2/3rds of his NHL career. It's entirely possible that we overpaid a career backup (that might even be generous) based on a small sample size.

I hope he's the answer, because I don't think Anderson is in for the resurgence some around here expect. I have even less confidence in Condon though.

That's called looking at the situation with no context. Which is fine but just not representative of reality.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
For his sake I hope he bounces back.

The fact that Steve Mason doesn't even have a tryout offer right now indicates what kind of goalie market it is.

Rather have Mason and some scrub on league minimum over what the sens currently have

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Condon is a complete black box. Guy has never proven he can be a consistent performer but he's had some extended streaks that can't be all luck.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Our D and our D zone system were at least as bad as our goal tending the two will go hand in hand again most likely.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Condon is a complete black box. Guy has never proven he can be a consistent performer but he's had some extended streaks that can't be all luck.
I feel like when he's allowed to just play reactionary he does better than when it seems like our goalie coaches get into his head.

He'd have games where it looked like he was trying to play Anderson's style and look terrible, then just get back to his feet never set and throw legs out everywhere and seem like he belongs. I think its also why he was so hit and miss in Montreal. They had the world's most technically competent goalie in Price, and then put in this rookie who had no rhyme or reason for his saves and rebounds.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I feel like when he's allowed to just play reactionary he does better than when it seems like our goalie coaches get into his head.

He'd have games where it looked like he was trying to play Anderson's style and look terrible, then just get back to his feet never set and throw legs out everywhere and seem like he belongs. I think its also why he was so hit and miss in Montreal. They had the world's most technically competent goalie in Price, and then put in this rookie who had no rhyme or reason for his saves and rebounds.

....didn't Hammond have the same problem? Dude was lights out in the hamburgular run and as an emergency fill-in, but then stumbled badly as part of a regular rotation later on.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
What's a bounce back for Condon? He's a career .907 guy coming off a .902 season. Career best was .914. Realistically we're looking at that .907 sv%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->