Player Discussion: Semyon Varlamov 2020-21

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
I know it’s early in the season, but man, is he looking good or what? He seems so much more composed in net this year. Not a lot of scrambling around, very economical in his movements, reading the play well, and his glove hand looks to be much improved. Hoping this play continues and that he is a good mentor for Sorokin. Hopefully this generates some friendly competition between the two

Reactions: periferal

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
If he keeps playing like this we might not see Sorokin nearly as much as we thought, which certainly is a good thing in that we would be winning a lot, but might not be so good for the likelihood of a long-term stay on the Island for Ilya.

Reactions: nyisleslover

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If he keeps playing like this we might not see Sorokin nearly as much as we thought, which certainly is a good thing in that we would be winning a lot, but might not be so good for the likelihood of a long-term stay on the Island for Ilya.
Are you afraid Sorokin might walk away if he doesn't get enough starts?

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
There's a back to back next weekend, part of a 3 in 4 / 4 in 6 stretch. Sorokin will get action.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Put yourself in his shoes. You come into this season thinking you might get 25 or so out of 56 starts and lets say you get 12-15. Would you be less or more likely to re sign with the team or go back to your country and start every game?

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Put yourself in his shoes. You come into this season thinking you might get 25 or so out of 56 starts and lets say you get 12-15. Would you be less or more likely to re sign with the team or go back to your country and start every game?
Well, then, his expectations are off. He took the risk to come to the NHL - the premier league in the world for his trade, and it was going to take time to get in the game. Remember, he wasn't so keen on playing the AHL, so, in essence, he has inherently limited his own playing time by only wanting to play in the NHL. His countrymen on other teams took the 'normal' route.

One would be hard pressed to believe the GM and the goalie staff sold him on anything other than: come over, there will be a transition time, we will (over)pay you to do so, we have countrymen to help with the transition, and you'll get in as we go. Most likely a platoon situation, but also ride the hot hand.

Reactions: Beacon Isles

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He signed a two year deal, why can he just run to the KHL but KHL players have to honor their contract before coming to the NHL?

I also don't think he'll leave. He'll get plenty of starts. It's hard for any goalie to get upset that the other goalie is hot and the team is winning...after putting up a stinker in your only start in a young season.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
He signed a two year deal, why can he just run to the KHL but KHL players have to honor their contract before coming to the NHL?

I also don't think he'll leave. He'll get plenty of starts. It's hard for any goalie to get upset that the other goalie is hot and the team is winning...after putting up a stinker in your only start in a young season.
Just correcting one thing. He did not sign a two year deal. He signed two separate one year deals and the first was counted during the bubble playoffs. So he is only under contract for this season.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Just correcting one thing. He did not sign a two year deal. He signed two separate one year deals and the first was counted during the bubble playoffs. So he is only under contract for this season.

You're right, I was thinking the first year was for this one but it was to burn a year so he could make more this season.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Beacon Isles

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY

If he thought he would be handed a 50/50 job, or even 40/60, hes nuts. And I doubt anyone with the Isles promised that.

15 starts (and it could be more, we're only 4 games in), no AHL time, adapting to a different rink size against the best in the world? I think he knew what he was getting into and wont be running back to the KHL.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
What would make him think he was getting 25 starts? We know how this coach works. He prefers veterans and experience. He had a body of work from Varlamov from the playoffs. We don’t have that many back to backs. I said in a fantasy league thread on this board to someone thinking of drafting Sorokin that the only way he gets near half the starts in this sprint of a season is if Varlamov struggles early on. I’m pretty sure this was explained to Sorokin when camp started.

If Sorokin wants to play in the best league on the planet he’ll stay here, be patient, wait for next season when we get back to an 82 game schedule. If he wants to go back to being a big fish in a small pond he’ll do what you are suggesting.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Bridgeport’s first game appears to be Feb. 5th. I wonder if they let Sorokin get some of those AHL games. Then work him in a more regular rotation with Varlamov.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Bridgeport’s first game appears to be Feb. 5th. I wonder if they let Sorokin get some of those AHL games. Then work him in a more regular rotation with Varlamov.
It wouldn’t be the worst thing to do, but I don’t see it happening. Trotz is a creature of habit, always rides the hot goalie. Especially with 3 days between games, Varly definitely starts against the Devils on Sunday.

We will see Sorokin, maybe twice this week. Back to back vs an undermanned Washington and back to back vs Buffalo (two days between both back to backs). If he can get a few wins, giving up 2-3 goals a game, his confidence will go through the roof.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Dude is just a professional. Comes to work and gives a good effort every night. Love that he's so steady - Rarely ever gives up a soft goal and often makes saves that could've easily been goals. You can see how confident the team is in front of him...And that's the #1 thing you want a goalie to do for your team.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Varlamov has always been a good goalie. Lucky for him, he has a great coach, great goalie coach, and outside of the 2nd Ranger’s game, his team is playing defense like they were playing in 2018-19. He’s playing the best he’s ever played though, it’s a great combination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad