Prospect Info: Semyon Der-Arguchintsev

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
He’s essentially entering his actual draft year. If he was born hours later, he’d be in the upcoming draft. Very excited to see what he becomes
His age within the year is pretty immaterial, he's a just a late grower. Even if he were born those hours later he'd be one of the most physically underdeveloped players in next years draft despite being the oldest

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
If he pans out, he could be a Kucherov level steal. He's loaded with high-end skill that you're either born with or not. Discipline, work ethic, strength and tactics could all be learned and improved. But you either can process the game quickly at a high level or you cannot... I think he can. Will be fun to watch his growth.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Its more the Leafs have extra pre-season games so they need to run two rosters. There are a few guys still up who have no chance of making the NHL roster this year. For example, Rich Clune is still in camp.
Yes, but Rich Clune doesn’t have anywhere else to be. No one cares if he misses AHL games. SDA wouldn’t be held from OHL play if they didn’t think he had at least a sliver of a chance to make it.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
His age within the year is pretty immaterial, he's a just a late grower. Even if he were born those hours later he'd be one of the most physically underdeveloped players in next years draft despite being the oldest

Party pooper.jpg

but fair point..

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Yes, but Rich Clune doesn’t have anywhere else to be. No one cares if he misses AHL games. SDA wouldn’t be held from OHL play if they didn’t think he had at least a sliver of a chance to make it.

No chance. I think they just want him to be part of the pro atmosphere and work with Underhill and Babcock before going back all season. I'm sure he'll be gone after the next cut, probably Sandin & Liljegren too (unfortunately).

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I actually think that it's a good strategy to pick guys who are hitting puberty late. If they can compete while still being so much smaller and weaker, it shows that they've got a lot of skill.

I was a bit of a late bloomer myself. I remember I had friends who looked like they were 25 when they were in grade 9 or 10. I went off to University looking like a teenager... but a year later, I could grow a full, thick beard, I put on a bunch of weight from cafeteria food and beer... and then I was the same size as everyone else. So he will get bigger eventually. Everyone can get big if they eat enough and lift enough.

I remember when Eklbad was drafted... the guy looked like he was 30. Then you compare that to guys like SDA and Marner. But they'll get there eventually. It will just take a few more years. That's why I'm so optimistic about Marner (and I guess SDA now also). It's such a huge disadvantage to be playing guys that are so much stronger than you. But when Marner and SDA are 25 years old ... they could be in peak physical shape which when combined with their skillset will make them amazing. I really think that Marner has the potential to be a top 5 forward in the league at some point in his career. I could see him getting the most points in the NHL at some point.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He would have played in the first 2. He has no chance of making the roster.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Having him still in camp is all Dubas's doing. Dubas wanted at least one player around who looks younger than the Leafs GM.

SDA is going to a "rock star" among his junior teammates for few days. Good for him.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Having him still in camp is all Dubas's doing. Dubas wanted at least one player around who looks younger than the Leafs GM.

SDA is going to a "rock star" among his junior teammates for few days. Good for him.
Dubas is pretty sharp. I think he sees something special in the kid and wants to dangle a carrot so the he knows what to look forward to. Excited to see him.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
If he pans out, he could be a Kucherov level steal. He's loaded with high-end skill that you're either born with or not. Discipline, work ethic, strength and tactics could all be learned and improved. But you either can process the game quickly at a high level or you cannot... I think he can. Will be fun to watch his growth.

I would settle with Johnny Hockey as well.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Gonna keep an eye on #85 tonight.

TBH I'm crazy confused who's who out three. Hard to keep up and get so confused with this many players in camp -- I still see #47, 42, even 81 roam around out there so doesn't really help the case lol.

Last edited:

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I showed the photo to my wife who, as a long time Middle School Principal, is pretty familiar with what adolescent kids look like at various ages. I asked her the age of the kid in the photo. “Impossible to tell,” she said,”but if I had to guess, fourteen.”

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Very impressed with his what, 7 minutes of ice time tonight?

Nice to see him against some tough competition and against men. Hopefully he has a huge year this year and we can put him on display next year!

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
Showed some flashes tonight. already a fan fave gonna be a real intriguing prospect to follow in the background.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad