Semin vs Horton redux

Status
Not open for further replies.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Most of HF nation scoffed at Semin being near or better than Horton. Since that time Semin has gone on to produce at a clip of 2nd in the RSL. What has Horton done? After putting up some ordinary performances he is back out for the year, the 2nd time he has had a major injury. When I mentioned that staying healthy could be a challenge for someone who plays his style, it was met with utter rejection. I would not deal Semin for Horton + now!

bruins4777*

Semin has yet to produce like Horton at the NHL, or even dominate like Horton did for that matter AT THE NHL.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
bruins4777 said:
Semin has yet to produce like Horton at the NHL, or even dominate like Horton did for that matter AT THE NHL.

Incorrect, Semin played against 1st liners and still outscored Horton's pace in the NHL.

bruins4777*

Semin has yet to recieve constant, stable playing time like Horton has in the NHL

because he....get this, hasn't earned it, and check this amazingness out, he ISN'T AS GOOD AS HORTON.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
borro said:
Most of HF nation scoffed at Semin being near or better than Horton. Since that time Semin has gone on to produce at a clip of 2nd in the RSL. What has Horton done? After putting up some ordinary performances he is back out for the year, the 2nd time he has had a major injury. When I mentioned that staying healthy could be a challenge for someone who plays his style, it was met with utter rejection. I would not deal Semin for Horton + now!

I dk man, the jury is still out.

Semin will have to develop into an elite forward for me to take him over Horton.

bruins4777*

borro said:
Incorrect, Semin played against 1st liners and still outscored Horton's pace in the NHL.

Lets also factor in Semin's fantastic all around play like horton correct?

Also, semin had the same amount of points as horton and played 3 less games.

Horton has value at dominance in multiple ways rather than simply scoring and such. Horton has fantastic defensive, physical, scoring, and so forth presence. Semin has speed and scoring, but will never dominate a game like horton and doesn't have the same potential as horton.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
bruins4777 said:

Horton has value at dominance in multiple ways rather than simply scoring and such. Horton has fantastic defensive, physical, scoring, and so forth presence. Semin has speed and scoring, but will never dominate a game like horton and doesn't have the same potential as horton.

and let's factor in his rather ordinary play this year, his propensity to get injured and his failure up to this point to stay healthy and put together a whole season. When he has been injured he has had season ending type injuries. Could he come back? Sure. Could he lose something? Yes he could. I would not take him over Semin. His fantastic play has yet to get better results than Semin at the NHL level. Maybe when he does, we can talk about him being at Semin's level.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
bruins4777 said:

By the way, thanks for acknowleding that you were wrong about your first statement. It let's me know how much credence to give to you.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Captain Conservative said:
Borro, after Hortons latest injury, i'm gonna agree with you. From my perspective, i'd rather have Semin. That injury worries me too much.

I think Semin was better BEFORE the injury. Clearly this guy has Yonkman's luck. if he had an 8 year career, which is greater than the average, he would have lost 25% already to injury.

His performance at San Antonio was in many ways ordinary. Semin had done everything Horton has but his star is still rising.

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
Come on, Stop that Semin Hyping! The guy is good but every Cap fan sees him as the next big thing...

Semin will be good, that's a fact.
But stop overhyping him.
:shakehead

bruins4777*

Injury this injury that, is his career over because of bad desicions by his doctor? Hardly.

Semin is great offensively, so what? You honestly would take a decent scorer over an all around forward who has equal offensive power.

"By the way, thanks for acknowleding that you were wrong about your first statement. It let's me know how much credence to give to you."

fyi, trying to show how insignificant your statement was. 3 games, thats nothing. Factor in how horton got injured after each of his dominant streaks and he would have much more points.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Really convenient time to post this debate. :shakehead

All that matters is that Semin can't dominate a game like Horton can and did. While I really am down on Horton about his injury, I still believe he can become great. Semin can produce and maybe score 40+ and even 50 with Ovech, but Horton physically dominates the game and makes everyone around him better.

bryan579

Oct 13, 2004
bruins4777 said:
fyi, trying to show how insignificant your statement was. 3 games, thats nothing. Factor in how horton got injured after each of his dominant streaks and he would have much more points.

so the fact that for the first half of the season semin played maybe 8 minutes a game shouldnt count? When he did start to play a lot he did dominate the games, he was a marked man with everybody else gone. Who else would they have to cover, battaglia? willsie? its not like he had it easy and in the beginning got lots of minutes. Also when he was playing a lot, he was dominating games, he anchored the power play, and he made fools of many a defenders with his moves.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
PanthersRule said:
While I really am down on Horton about his injury, I still believe he can become great.

Make up your mind already. You just called him a bust a couple of hours ago:

PanthersRule said:
Horton is a bust. That guy is the most injury prone player I've seen. Even Eric Lindros didn't get hurt this often this early.

Man, we should've picked Staal or Zherdev. Too bad, Horton could be an allstar, but I highly doubt he will ever be good with his shoulder.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=2428024&highlight=bust#post2428024

:banghead:

AgentNaslund*

Wow!!! according to this, It means Ryan Kesler is better then Horton. They are in the same leauge, same draft year, but Kesler is light years ahead of Hortons points. Hes also ahead of Vanek, and Parice! Wow, Kesler has alot more points then alot of those dudes in the HF"s top 50. IT means hes better then em? crazyiness.

Horton over Semin in a heartbeat.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I've seen Semin play a ton and maybe saw Horton once or twice so it is hard to say since viewings have been one sided. I don't want to get in merciless hype of Semin but the great thing about watching him is that a couple of times a game he will do something that just makes one's draw drop. He does some moves I've never seen before and that is a lot of fun to watch.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
borro said:

Igor Volkov has all of one less point than Semin and is barely a year older. Yet you don't hear anyone hyping him at all, outside of a few Isles fans. RSL is certainly a high level of competition, but it doesn't necessarily translate. People here tend to take more stock in what has been accomplished on NA rinks. Horton's all around game and his physicality combined with the points he's put up, makes him more proven and likely to translate into a big NHL game. This is not to say that Semin's accomplishments are anything to sneeze at either, as he is also a fantastic prospect that any team would love to have. Both have the potential to be fine players.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
bruins4777 said:

I guess I must have missed when Horton's defensive game reached the level of "fantastic". That word should be used to describe guys like Lehtinen and Madden, not a rookie on a poor team.

I'm not making a judgement on this thread one way or the other, but please lay off the hyperbole.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Seph said:
Igor Volkov has all of one less point than Semin and is barely a year older. Yet you don't hear anyone hyping him at all, outside of a few Isles fans. RSL is certainly a high level of competition, but it doesn't necessarily translate. People here tend to take more stock in what has been accomplished on NA rinks. Horton's all around game and his physicality combined with the points he's put up, makes him more proven and likely to translate into a big NHL game. This is not to say that Semin's accomplishments are anything to sneeze at either, as he is also a fantastic prospect that any team would love to have. Both have the potential to be fine players.

Semin outscored Horton. He has proven he put up less points than Semin in the NHL. Horton had trouble scoring in San Antonio. Your point would only be valid if Semin had not scored at the NHL level. Could Horton come back? Yes. I'm gonna dub him "Nathan Hurtin." Horton hears a Who? 2 years, 2 year long injuries. Not promising.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
borro said:
Semin outscored Horton. He has proven he put up less points than Semin in the NHL. Horton had trouble scoring in San Antonio. Your point would only be valid if Semin had not scored at the NHL level. Could Horton come back? Yes. I'm gonna dub him "Nathan Hurtin." Horton hears a Who? 2 years, 2 year long injuries. Not promising.

They put up the same number of points in an extremely comparable number of games. Semin did not outscore Horton. While it is arguable that given three games he may have put up more points than Horton, that is merely projection. I'm talking about proven.

Horton's proven more at this level by putting up the same points and bringing a better all around game. Assuming he continues to improve his offense, he has the potential to be a great top line player. And with his physical game, his offense should continue to improve. Even if it doesn't, Horton's size and his play without the puck make his downside a decent third liner. Also worth pointing out, historically, power forwards take longer to develop -- look at Bertuzzi, for example.

Semin on the other hand, if he doesn't continue to improve his offensive game, ends up back in the RSL. Yes, injuries will play a factor into Horton's game, and it is a concern. But the fact remains that to many, what Horton has proven makes him more likely to translate into a star in the NHL. And a good powerforward is harder to find than a good finesse scorer with defensive concerns.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Samsonov vs. Thornton anyone? I can't say I know much about Horton or Semin, but it would seem reasonable to say based on what type of players they are that Semin will get off to a better start in his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->