Semifinals: New York Islanders vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Series tied 3-3) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Game 4 was probably the best game of the playoffs, but this one was a complete pancake.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Will Roscoe, MDC or Wally see ice time on Wednesday as a replacement for a current guy in the lineup? We shall find out.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Isles will bring it game 6 and Tampa does not want to go back to tampa to play game 7. I thought game 5 would be the blood bath, I think game 6 now will be.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Once it got to 6-0, I couldn't help but be reminded of this exact same game (in essence) from the 2017 playoffs, when the ECF was tied at 2, Game 5, and the Penguins throttled the Sens 7-0 in Pittsburgh to take a 3-2 series lead. What happened next? Ottawa scraped out Game 6, tied Game 7 late in the third period, and it took into double overtime for the Penguins to finally knock off Ottawa once and for all. The point being that the Islanders surely still have a lot of fight left in them, that a loss is a loss whether it's 1-0, 8-0, or somewhere in-between, and that Game 6 is still going to be very tough. Pretty much what should've been expected no matter the outcome tonight.

It doesn't help that the Lightning don't have a rosy history when up 3-2 in this round of the playoffs. Their record in ECF "close-out" games since 2015 is 2-6. They've blown two 3-2 leads before. They won this exact game in the same circumstances in 2018 against Trotz's Capitals, and then didn't score another goal.

Hopefully this year is more like 2020, but still a long way to go and a lot they need to do to make that happen.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I see. So I guess they don't really have an ace in the hole. Probably still best to go with Sorokin for game 6. He certainly wasn't bad. I don't think Varlamov was either though.

I expect them to go back to Varlamov for Game 6. He wasn't at fault for any of the three goals tonight, and actually helped keep it from being 3-0 sooner than it was. He was removed to try and light a fire under the team. Sorokin just had to wear it once the rout was on. In that sense, Varlamov got 2/3 of a game off and it might actually help him be just a little bit more fresh in Game 6.

Reactions: Hoek

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Just like I said TB will make a statement game and turn into Championship form. Bolts in 6. Champa Bay isn't scared of another pretender.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
He got a game misconduct. The NHL will consider that sufficient and he'll be fine for Game 6.

I can pretty much guarantee that. Will be shocked if he gets suspended.
HE should but he is a Star player. Malkin did something similar to Zetterberg and got a fine and warning. The NHL has always been lenient on stars.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Much smarter game from Tampa, they played their game and it worked much better.

Looks like maybe Foote will get in if Rutta and Cernak can't go.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
They could go the Panthers route and start their Spencer Knight goaltender. Dunno if the Islanders have a young stud goalie in the pipeline. It delayed the inevitable by a game though when Knight shocked the world for one game. Hard choice to choose a goalie if you're the Islanders and Tampa just clowned on both your keepers.

Underrated take.

Trotz is ultra conservative but don't forget that both Sorokin AND Varlamov got us here.

Hunch is he goes back to Varlamov. Some Isles posters preferred Sorokin as he has excellent lateral movement and athleticism which may match up to Tampa better.

Now, when the rest of the team hangs you out to dry, it doesn't matter much. Isles could've had Carey Price and this is still a 4-0 or 5-0 game.

Tough decision facing elimination but I think it's going to be the de facto starter Varlamov.

Reactions: TBoneTRex

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Wow. The islanders post game presser might has well been a funeral

They were shell shocked.

Blank stares. They know they have a very tall ordr winning the next 2.

It didn't look like they believed it.

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
E4dK4waXoAIvOPu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad