Semifinals: New York Islanders vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Series tied 2-2) Part.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
There are cap issues to be worked out, but I'd imagine that if there's a way to get it done, Lou will find a way to extend him.

however Zajac can return to Wheel of Fortune. Have to allow some youngsters to play..

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Skating with the reserves. Might be back soon.
He’ll be back when they play MTL next week (or two) and solve Price like they did with Vasilevskiy. Fully dressed and ready to go to accept his fancy ice cream dish.

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
Terrible, he hit puck first. It is time for an officiating over haul.

Bad calls every game, every team. NHL is embarrassing

It is not even about him hitting the puck first... his stick barely hit Clutterbuck. I dont think it was even a dive, it looked like CLutterbuck was already about to fall. But even at game speed it looked pretty clear that it was not a trip.

Just more proof that the refs are overly reactionary. Guy falls=must have been tripped. Guy stays down after a hit=must have been dirty. Whack.

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
Terrible, he hit puck first. It is time for an officiating over haul.

Bad calls every game, every team. NHL is embarrassing

If it is time for an officiating overhaul, that is not why. The NHL changed that rule several years ago so whether the player hits the puck first or not does not matter, it is trip either way. Under the current rule, the only thing making contact with the puck first does is prevent it from being a penalty shot.

I didn't like it at the time and still don't, but that is the rule.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Zajac and Greene will probably retire if they get rings this year. If not, they’ll get put in the Sbisa/Jan Kovar PTO category.
They both still have some game left. If they want to play, teams will want them.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
They both still have some game left. If they want to play, teams will want them.
This is true but I can’t see either going any further away then the Isles, Devils and possibly Rangers. The only other one would be Philly. Zajac only waived his NTC/NMC (forget which one he has) to come to the Islanders so he could stay close to home.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
This is true but I can’t see either going any further away then the Isles, Devils and possibly Rangers. The only other one would be Philly. Zajac only waived his NTC/NMC (forget which one he has) to come to the Islanders so he could stay close to home.
That would fall under want to play. I wouldn't be surprised if Lou (or Devils) offers one or both a minimum contract. If they want a depth role on a winning team without having to move, the job will be there.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
That would fall under want to play. I wouldn't be surprised if Lou (or Devils) offers one or both a minimum contract. If they want a depth role on a winning team without having to move, the job will be there.
I wouldn’t either. My guess is that he’ll tell them to sit tight and let him work out the cap situation. Sorokin, Pelech, Beau, Cizikas, Bellows and Palmieri will be at the top of the list among RFA/UFA for resigned players. Plus veterans like that usually sign late in the window usually. They’re typically not July 1 types of guys.

Reactions: NYSaints

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
Oh trust me they are far better than the umpires in the MLB, be glad they aren't that terrible.

Oh, I agree with that. People have been on message boards whining about NHL officiating, particularly in the playoffs, as long as there have been NHL playoffs, officials, and internet message boards.

People also do not realize that professional officials (all sports) get all sorts of "interpretations" and "rules clarifications" from their respective leagues, many of which we never hear about. In a lot of cases, the end result is the officials get criticized for things their leagues told them to call exactly the way they did.

As for MLB, they are notorious for taking rules that are pretty plainly written and interpreting them to say something else. Years ago it was the upper limits of the strike zone. At one point the strike zone was written as from the tops of the knees to the armpits, and MLB basically "clarified" that the armpits were at the belt. 50+ umpires didn't get together and decide that, but they all called it that way. What some of the umpires did do was widen the plate by several inches to make up for it!

I used to be an NCAA umpire, and at least the two conferences I worked with notified the teams when they gave us any sort of interpretation, clarification, or point of emphasis. And I don't ever remember them altering the clear meaning or the words in any rule. But MLB was sort of like the WWE. I think the NFL has gotten the same way, and while I don't watch the NBA, one of the reasons is the rules had little impact on how the game was called.

Reactions: Church Hill

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Oh, I agree with that. People have been on message boards whining about NHL officiating, particularly in the playoffs, as long as there have been NHL playoffs, officials, and internet message boards.

People also do not realize that professional officials (all sports) get all sorts of "interpretations" and "rules clarifications" from their respective leagues, many of which we never hear about. In a lot of cases, the end result is the officials get criticized for things their leagues told them to call exactly the way they did.

As for MLB, they are notorious for taking rules that are pretty plainly written and interpreting them to say something else. Years ago it was the upper limits of the strike zone. At one point the strike zone was written as from the tops of the knees to the armpits, and MLB basically "clarified" that the armpits were at the belt. 50+ umpires didn't get together and decide that, but they all called it that way. What some of the umpires did do was widen the plate by several inches to make up for it!

I used to be an NCAA umpire, and at least the two conferences I worked with notified the teams when they gave us any sort of interpretation, clarification, or point of emphasis. And I don't ever remember them altering the clear meaning or the words in any rule. But MLB was sort of like the WWE. I think the NFL has gotten the same way, and while I don't watch the NBA, one of the reasons is the rules had little impact on how the game was called.
Some of the calls though are mind-blowing

Like the non-call on that high stick that hit Perry in the other series. Apparently they spoke with the ref and he said it was a “follow through”, which is ludicrous considering the rules explicitly state swinging a stick wildly at a bouncing puck is not a follow through

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Cooper is great at adjustments and getting his team going. Tampa is going to be animals in game 5. Isles really need to play near perfect hockey. Tonight was Really good offensively for the isles. The first period there wasn’t much but they beat vasly clean twice but got the posts. Then they upped the offensive intensity and potted 3. Need to get 30+ shots off. Both isles wins they got 30+ shots.
Against the high powered offense I feel the isles with the exception of game 2 have done a really great job defensively against Tampa. At time we get away from our game and let some open chances in the D zone but if we just tighten up a bit we can be fine. Going to be a crazy finish to the series.

would love for my isles to make it to the cup for the first time in my life! And I’m in my 30’s. Just missed the dynasty.

After two periods the Islanders scored 3 goals on 21 shots so not sure how necessary it is to have 30+ shots. They need to continue to keep Tampa under 3 goals like they have in 3 out of 4 games is more like it.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
One team played on that ice what 35 times this year?

It’s a huge advantage. But the NHL has allowed Mickey Mouse operations just like it allows LTIR.

That being said good on the Islanders for creating that advantage. It’s legal to play and practice in ridiculous conditions so good for them.

Hold serve at home and we overcome the dump.

haha what a bitter fan....probably was never actually in the arena either. The fact remains that no matter where we play, the islanders hold the lightening on average to 2.25 goals a game. If we keep the lightening off the powerplay, they are beatable.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Which game did he watch is the true question? I used to be a big Yankees/Knicks/Jets fan, but over the years my passion for other sports has died out to the point where I only like hockey now. But if I felt the same way about one of those teams that I do about the Islanders, I have no clue which game I’d watch if they played at the same time.

He definitely has two TVs

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Tampa usually plays well after a loss. Isles are gonna be hungry to get the win and then have the opportunity to close it out at home. Not sure what's gonna give here. I think that is the sign of a good series here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad