GDT: Semifinals - February 23 - Canada (3) vs Germany (4)

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Clueless and ignorant you are.

Me? Media coverage has been severely lacking especially in comparison to the last few Olympic games. Part of the problem has been that the games are on at horrible times in Canada, but it's also because Canada didn't send their best players. Seriously, I've seen way way more TDL crap than anything about the Olympics.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
TSN SNET CBC and here in Montreal rds and radio canada plus newspapers all did a huge coverage.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
This makes me want Canada to win the Worlds so much more. Again it won't be our top players, but losing two major tournaments in one year would make my blood boil

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
This makes me want Canada to win the Worlds so much more. Again it won't be our top players, but losing two major tournaments in one year would make my blood boil
There's a lot of our top players there every year. Just look at some of those rosters. Most of them could compete and probably win a Stanley Cup...

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
TSN SNET CBC and here in Montreal rds and radio canada plus newspapers all did a huge coverage.

Hmmm, nothing really here in Manitoba. Very odd. Actually, I've found TSN's coverage of the Olympics in general (not just hockey) to be rather lacklustre. I keep seeing constant stories on Karlsson being traded though. But that could just be me.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
There's a lot of our top players there every year. Just look at some of those rosters. Most of them could compete and probably win a Stanley Cup...

There's top players there for sure, but it's never Canada's best possible roster. A lot of the top players are playing in the playoffs.

Reactions: robertmac43

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
There's top players there for sure, but it's never Canada's best possible roster. A lot of the top players are playing in the playoffs.
Some years there's only 4 teams left at the moment when the roster additions are last made. The 4 best teams but not always with the best players.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Nobody, not even Russian hockey fans once they win the gold, believes that this tournament means anything.

You're confusing (some) Canadians and Americans with "nobody/everybody". How typical. In reality, everyone except those Canadians and Americans realizes that this tournament indeed is a big deal – it's this year's top international hockey event, after all.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Roy did just as good in the game. Czechs had let's say 55/45 of the advantage in the 60min. of 5vs.5. But you could say we missed Sakic Kariya...the Russians missed Mogilny Zubov Ozolinsh Larionov Kozlov etc. so you see the famous "best on best" thing is really a myth...

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Some years there's only 4 teams left at the moment when the roster additions are last made. The 4 best teams but not always with the best players.

Lot of the time the teams are initially named during or before the first round. Plus, a number of players decline every year. No player ever declines the Olympics.

If you use an example where roster additions are made until the conference finals, that still leaves Canada without Crosby, Murray, Subban, Getzlaf and Perry last year.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
But you could say we missed Sakic Kariya...the Russians missed Mogilny Zubov Ozolinsh Larionov Kozlov so you see the famous "best on best" thing is really a myth...

You don't see a difference between a handful of players and the entire top league in the entire world?

It's the equivalent of a World Cup without any players from the EPL, La Liga, Serie A and the Bundesliga.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
You're confusing (some) Canadians and Americans with "nobody/everybody". How typical. In reality, everyone except those Canadians and Americans realizes that this tournament indeed is a big deal – it's this year's top international hockey event, after all.

Agreed 100%! At the end of the day it is the Olympics and that alone makes the tournament a big deal

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Nagano was great though at the time the game wasn't all about dump and chase the trap and not making mistakes, but boy the hooking clutching and grabbing was terrible...

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
If it's any consolation, I'm kinda leaning towards cheering for the Olympic Athletes from Russian... they've won very little in the Olympics this time around so they might has well have this little thing

Thank you sir. You are so generous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad