WC: Semifinal Pre-Game Talk: Finland vs. Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Really? russia's passing looked terrible.

Russia in general was miserable - did anyone praising them see those "powerplays"? Selfish, undisciplined playing.

The problem for Finland is that they are very unlikely be that bad today...

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
Not much at stake here but Finland has an important bronze medal game against Sweden on Sunday, so this game is good practice for that. Let's just hope the Mighty Artyukhin spares at least some of our top players. Only kill Aaltonen, please. It would be funny to see "The Ogre" and Granlund drop the gloves though. Something like this...

Russia wins 7-1.

Adebisi Junior

Apr 29, 2010
Pori
I really hope Finland wins this game so it could be a Sweden - Finland final... :yo: But then it would be silver for us :help: I still think that Russia will win with a good confidence boost from last night.

TheMuumio

Nov 26, 2009
I hate the pessimism around here (and everywhere else tbh, why are we finns so damn pessimistic). Finland will compete in this game and win. I used to act like a pessimist too but being an optimist is so much nicer. Finland will also win gold this year. :handclap:
All of you are allowed to ridicule me if Finland doesn't get to final but I don't care.

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
I hate the pessimism around here (and everywhere else tbh, why are we finns so damn pessimistic). Finland will compete in this game and win. I used to act like a pessimist too but being an optimist is so much nicer. Finland will also win gold this year. :handclap:
All of you are allowed to ridicule me if Finland doesn't get to final but I don't care.

Well, I'm a big optimist actually. I just love being ironic or sarcastic in the internet and not using proper smileys. :laugh:

I think we'll have a good chance today.

(I agree with you that general pessimism sucks. I have to work with some pessimists and sometimes it gets really annoying. I try to subtly educate them about the joys of optimist thinking but mostly I just get blank stares :laugh:)

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Let's go Finland!

Watch out for Russias counter attack hockey.

Russia is one of the most frustrating teams I know to watch (sometimes even boring). Sometimes over the years we (Sweden) have been dominating them totally only to watch Russia score on a counter attack, it has happened to many times. The last game like this was the semifinals in this years WJC between Sweden and Russia (extremely frustrating). Sweden dominated most of the game but lost anyway.

The KHL has made Russias hockey more physical though (which I really like).

Finland, win! :)

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Russia is the favourite but i think Finland has a good chance. Their loss vs Finland will definately motivate them though.

I hope Russia scores the first goal so we can win. That seems to be the only thing that makes this team Finland really try, coming from behind.

My biggest concern is Ovechkin, who is probably going to step up now. He must be really disappointed he hasn't scored yet.

Also Vehanen will have a good game but will it be enough?

Kovalchuk 1+1
Ovechkin 1+0
Immonen 1+0
Ruutu 1+0
Jaakola 2min penalty

Last edited:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I hope Russia scores the first goal so we can win. That seems to be the only thing that makes this team Finland really try, coming from behind.

Sweden is like this sometimes too, extremely frustrating.

To me it's a pure coaching issue. The coach has to get them ready to play, maybe slap their faces a few times would help? ;-)

Blank

Apr 11, 2007
As long as we get to beat Swedes this year its all good.. Doesn't matter if it's in the bronze game or the finals.

I just can't imagine a WC without a Swe-Fin game.

pouskin74*

The last game like this was the semifinals in this years WJC between Sweden and Russia (extremely frustrating). Sweden dominated most of the game but lost anyway.

and again, more shots dosnt mean dominating.

svea

Feb 18, 2006
Russia has been utterly unconvincing in this tournament. In their last game against Finland some days ago they had a 2-0 lead by mid-first period, yet with all their star power they never scored again and Finland won 3-2 in the shootouts (where both Russians failed). Their game against Canada yesterday was as unconvincing as the rest.

The Russians do have a boatload of talent, but unless they can improve their game considerably, I don't see why the Finns shouldn't win.

Spawnisen

Kaapo Kakko.
Feb 11, 2010
Finland
I'm actually not so pessimistic this time, I'm gonna go and bet on Finland today and hopefully we can play as well and better as we have done this WC. I'm happy it's Russia and not Canada

3-2 OT Finland

Go Suomi!

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I'm actually not so pessimistic this time, I'm gonna go and bet on Finland today and hopefully we can play as well and better as we have done this WC. I'm happy it's Russia and not Canada

3-2 OT Finland

Go Suomi!

But Finland-Canada would have been a much more fun game to watch. ;-)

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
observerspb: Sorry ;-)

Russia has defeated Sweden in hockey to many times and I'm getting tired of it. Especially Russian defensive counter attack hockey. It's like watching Italy playing fotball.

Russia will have to prove I'm wrong and play fun offensive hockey game today vs Finland.

I've seen signs of improvement with a more physical intense hockey since KHL started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad