WC: Semifinal Pre-Game Talk: Czech Republic vs. Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I haven't seen the Czechs play this tourney yet but historically they are one of the very best teams in the world on the counter attack. Incredibly lethal. The way Sweden has dealt with them in the past is to play a solid, defensive puck possession game and even then it's usually quite close.

However, current coach MÃ¥rts all out offense gives up soooooo many odd man rushes, playing to the strengths of the Czech team. I'm not sure this is a good matchup for Sweden.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Well, it's very difficult to predict the capacity young teams may have, we will see now.

I have no idea what to expect this time but they for sure need to step it up and play full throttle ice hockey, using their speed and technical skills.

Czech are clear favorites both based on their play so far in the tournament and the fact that Swedes is a pretty young and unexperienced team.

Also it was a long time ago I've seen Jagr play like this in the national team.

Jagr is simply leathal, probably one of the 5 best players ever in the world, all time, and if we pay to much attentian to Jagr they have other great players too, Elias only being one of them.

We do have some swedes though who feel pretty confident facing Jagr because they have met him 8-9 times in the KHL.

This is also a game which may decide the future for our goalie Fasth, an E X T R E M E L Y important game for his career. Another success and he will play for a NHL team next season, I'm sure. A total failure could complicate things.

Everlasting

Jun 5, 2010
Somwhere in time
The key to winning against Chech Republic is the deffence. Sweden MUST play ALOT better deffence. There were too many wrong passes against germany and the marking sucked. Unless Fasth has a monstergame the chech will be more effective then germany and score when they get good chances.
Will Sweden play flawless deffence and not give Chech Republic any good scoringcahnces Fasth will shutout them.
Tho something tells me that the deffence wont be that good...

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
This is a 50/50 game. If Sweden can play the puck possession game without individual mistakes I'm not worried. Problem is that I think they won't. I also believe they will take stupid penalties that will work against them.

Maybe it's 60/40 against the Swedes ..

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
Swedes have always been a tough matchup for us. Czech team looks great this year, but I don't expect an easy match...I just hope Havlat will be able to play.

My hopes and cheers go to Czechs in this one. Good Luck mighty Czechs:)
By the way,do you think there is a Chance to see Jagr end his careerer back in Kladno?
That would been GREAT

PS Are the Slovaks nice neighbors and support you to?

Last edited:

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Sweden have a young and pretty unexperienced team, I have no idea what to expect but they need to step it up.

It would surprise me if we (Sweden) win but I for sure hope so!

We were lucky vs the Germans, it could have been tougher. Fasth was lucky too and didn't impress me very much he will also have to setup up.

Anyway, I will enjoy watching a living legend play, Jaromir Jagr.

I'm very impressed by David Rundblad so far, wow. Congratulations to Ottawa, he looks like better talant than Larsson in my eyes.

Berglund is impressive too but can do even better.

Nilsson can always do better (with all his talent). ;-)

Offensively, yes, defensively and over all, no. Larsson is the superior talent by quite a lot.

For every amazing thing Rundblad does, you also get a stupid mistake fit for a beer leaguer.

wikked

May 9, 2011
My hopes and cheers go to Czechs in this one. Good Luck mighty Czechs:)
By the way,do you think there is a Chance to see Jagr end his careerer back in Kladno?
That would been GREAT

PS Are the Slovaks nice neighbors and support you to?
The situation around Kladno club (owned by Jagr senior and co-funded by his son) is unfortunately quite difficult now and future doesn't look that good so it's up in the air if there will be a place to come back to when Jagr ends his career abroad. I guess it's likely if they manage to save the club.
As for the SVKs - yeah, they're ok neighbors.. ;)

I expect a close match similar to fin/rus, hope they remain concentrated and responsible in the defense which is our advantage.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
I think Sweden takes this. 3-2.

The Czechs have a great team who have been playing well, but they are beatable.

Those forwards look scary though, especially against our defense which has looked shaky, but I'm not going to lose hope already.

Last edited:

IceBjoern

Feb 24, 2010
Stockholm
Czechs have played well all tournament long, about time they had one bad game and they usually do against Sweden. So 4-1 Sweden is my prediction.

But you never know.

Adebisi Junior

Apr 29, 2010
Pori
Sverige will win this if Professor Jagr doesn't get loose... Loui with a couple of goals and Viktor stopping the pucks nicely. Then it will be parties in Sweden if they win...

:yo:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Viktor Fasth = Fast victory :)

Today is the real test for Fasth and I hope he makes it.

He is playing for a NHL contract, simple as that.

I hope Sweden steps up the level of physical play, it's necessary. We need more intensity and grit.

They have been playing more like girls than Vikings in the first games. ;-)

Role model Douglas Murray ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3bLieLA4cw

But maybe coach MÃ¥rts don't care about the physical aspect of hockey?

Last edited:

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
I noticed Slavomir Lener - who has spent four seasons as coach in Sweden - at the Czech game against the US, and later read that he has stepped in as the Czech GM this season. Has Lener brought any notable changes to the team?

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
I noticed Slavomir Lener - who has spent four seasons as coach in Sweden - at the Czech game against the US, and later read that he has stepped in as the Czech GM this season. Has Lener brought any notable changes to the team?

Lener has been focused mainly on improving our youth system. He hails the Swedish youth development program as our role model every other day.:D

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
This is not good for us, Lener knows swedish icehockey better than all other Czech coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad