GDT: Semifinal - May 19 - Sweden vs USA

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Canada will beat Switzerland in my opinion.

The Swedish D is great, but I wouldn't advise absorbing that much pressure again.

Full marks again to Sweden for finding a way. We know they have a strong D, but that isn't necessarily how you expect to win every game. There is a decent chance McDavid unlocks them if you give Canada as much zone time as the USA did. They had several grade A chances and couldn't find a way today, Sweden did that is why they are moving on. Canada might capitalize a little better, I think Sweden needs to concentrate on finding the effort they had against Russia, play like they did today again tomorrow and I think they are in trouble.
Hate to tell ya I told you so, but...

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
Yeah it was Grönborg.

That explains it to some extent.

But it just seems that Swedes (as far as NHLers go as well) lose the accent more quickly and more comprehensively than Finns, Czechs, Slovaks, Russians, etc.
That's because in Swedish television they show a lot of US series and movies and they are not dubbed only subtitled, so they hear American English day in and day out!

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
He got away with a minor, but it kind become the game's breaking point because Sweden scored 3 -0 in the ensuing PP.

Then scored another immediately after. Not the best timing. US was still playing well, too, so it was super selfish.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Can’t coach a terrible defense. That was going to be the US achilles heal and Sweden exposed it. Nothing to do with leadership or coaching. Martinez, Pionk, Murphy and Jensen got burned all tournament.

Good teams can and will still expose 'bad' players, obviously, but I don't see any real commitment to team defense and all five players on the ice working together, it's the same old every year with speedy, skillful teams but poor structure. So-so compete level too, to be frank.

Look at what Switzerland has back there behind Josi and compare to USA. McDavid and friends couldn't expose that, despite in some cases matching up against AHLers. Look at Vegas in the playoffs, nothing special at all, on paper. I'd just like to see USA try something different and not just go with the flow every year.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
That's because in Swedish television they show a lot of US series and movies and they are not dubbed only subtitled, so they hear American English day in and day out!
It's not only that. English and Swedish are closely related in the language tree, north germanic vs west germanic. It's an easy language for Swedes to learn. And our own syllables and intonation makes the intonation of English very easy to master.

Reactions: JFG and Frannel

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
It's not only that. English and Swedish are closely related in the language tree, north germanic vs west germanic. It's an easy language for Swedes to learn. And our own syllables and intonation makes the intonation of English very easy to master.
Yes. I didn't mean it to sound like this was the only reason... I think the intonation has a lot to do with it, too. German is also a germanic language, yet I always struggled to get my English or Swedish free of accent even after living in both countries for a year... and I learned both languages before I moved there.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
It seems the one least upset about the Gaudreau slash is Lindholm himself. "He's not very big so I didn't think he'd really slash me to death. In hockey you're allowed to hit and check and Gaudreau is not a player you can't check. If he wants to slash me I'll happily take the power play." :laugh:

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
Yes. I didn't mean it to sound like this was the only reason... I think the intonation has a lot to do with it, too. German is also a germanic language, yet I always struggled to get my English or Swedish free of accent even after living in both countries for a year... and I learned both languages before I moved there.

First of English language is closer to the Scandinavian language than German is thanks to the History of Viking invasion of GB, second of all Swedish is a hard language to speak since its a very melodic language.

But it doesnt matter accent does all Swedes have me for an exampel use alot of Ö when im speaking and im native Swedish... I call my hometown Sönsvall when people from other places of the country say Sundsvall or Bussen for an exampel we saying Bössen here.

Reactions: Frannel

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Good teams can and will still expose 'bad' players, obviously, but I don't see any real commitment to team defense and all five players on the ice working together, it's the same old every year with speedy, skillful teams but poor structure. So-so compete level too, to be frank.

Look at what Switzerland has back there behind Josi and compare to USA. McDavid and friends couldn't expose that, despite in some cases matching up against AHLers. Look at Vegas in the playoffs, nothing special at all, on paper. I'd just like to see USA try something different and not just go with the flow every year.

Agree to disagree. A coach can only do with what and whom decides to show up. Very simple for me, Sweden took advantage of a very weak American defense. I am not saying that Sweden wouldn’t have won if US had better dedenseman but I defenitely know it would have been a tighter game. That’s all.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
US had their chances early, failed on them, and Sweden took care of the ones they had...pretty simple stuff - horrible score for a game that was dominated at times by the US, but the better team won tonight, at leats the one that knows how to capitalize on their chances.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Gaudreau looks like a born loser. To slash like this is just unacceptable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad