GDT: Semifinal - May 19 - Sweden vs USA

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
PS But I don't understand how Johnny Gaudreau could do something that stupid ... that's also disrespectful to his own team mates

Well Sweden managed to kill their penalty (and score).

Sometimes you have to bail out your teammate's mistake.

Pieck

Dec 13, 2017
BC
I really wish it will be Canada in the finals (if we win this game). I can't stand watching a defensive boring Switzerland in the finals. I want an offensive, physical playing Canada. Sweden and Canada are the two best teams in the world after all.
Defensive boring Switzerland? The way I've seen it, Switzerland has relied on their offense in this tournament and their defense has been okay but not that good. Against Finland they spent a ton of time controlling the puck and played like a top nation would. Yes, they played the trap game in the second half of the third period but that's normal.

As a Canadian I obviously want Canada in the finals too though :P

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
All games live their own life and 6-0 was way too much even thought it's clear that Sweden was the better team overall and deserved the win ...

All respect to the US team, though, sometimes nothing goes your way ...

PS But I don't understand how Johnny Gaudreau could do something that stupid ... that's also disrespectful to his own team mates
Biggest difference and the main difference this evening was the goalies. Kinkaid lost focus a couple of times and the game was over. The rest of the game was actually much closer than the numbers indicate.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Biggest difference and the main difference this evening was the goalies. Kinkaid lost focus a couple of times and the game was over. The rest of the game was actually much closer than the numbers indicate.

While what you wrote is entirely True. I also believe that the swedish D was a clear step above USAs dito.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
McAvoy was awful. Kid is a good skater but seemed like he either severely lacks hockey IQ or is overconfident as hell by needlessly pressuring the puck carrier too much and allowing himself to be beaten time and again.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Holy hell, what a slaughter. US had their chances, but couldn't bury any of them. They had a post-out game, while everything went Sweden's way. Nilsson was very solid, but this is a game where I think it shines through how good Sweden is defensively, primarily from having a bunch of elite defensemen, but also by having very good two-way forwards. Most opportunities were blocked, contested by a Swedish player or saved by Nilsson.

Mike Lowry

Feb 23, 2018
So much for all those points in meaningless games for Kane. Another big ZERO when it matters. Not a single championship when he wasn't riding Toews' coattails.

Comical

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
McAvoy was awful. Kid is a good skater but seemed like he either severely lacks hockey IQ or is overconfident as hell by needlessly pressuring the puck carrier too much and allowing himself to be beaten time and again.
Yeah, he had a stinker of a game.

Still a real good young d-man though, just a bad game.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I'm very happy with this win.

USA lacks leadership qualities at the Worlds, and the coaches(as a Wings fan sadly) seem more concerned about enticing the star players with ice time than actually coaching them. IMO they have the talent to challenge for gold, definitely the last few years anyway, but they rarely play enough of a team game and/or has a lack of understanding how you need to play on the big ice. It's just too loose of a style once you reach these games, and it starts in the group stage. They should bring someone with a lot of experience to coach International hockey rather than take a new NHL coach every year.

Reactions: VictorLustig

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
He is a good PKer, we know that from the NHL too. Nice pass for the 3-0 goal too. But I dont think he has been one of our top three players, not when looking at the tournament as a whole.
I didn’t say he was either. I was referring to his play this game. So all in all I think he was the right choice for POTG.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
I'm very happy with this win.

USA lacks leadership qualities at the Worlds, and the coaches(as a Wings fan sadly) seem more concerned about enticing the star players with ice time than actually coaching them. IMO they have the talent to challenge for gold, definitely the last few years anyway, but they rarely play enough of a team game and/or has a lack of understanding how you need to play on the big ice. It's just too loose of a style once you reach these games, and it starts in the group stage. They should bring someone with a lot of experience to coach International hockey rather than take a new NHL coach every year.

Can’t coach a terrible defense. That was going to be the US achilles heal and Sweden exposed it. Nothing to do with leadership or coaching. Martinez, Pionk, Murphy and Jensen got burned all tournament.

Reactions: Frannel

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Can’t coach a terrible defense. That was going to be the US achilles heal and Sweden exposed it. Nothing to do with leadership or coaching. Martinez, Pionk, Murphy and Jensen got burned all tournament.
Can't argue with that. Sweden have Klingberg, Ekman-Larsson, Larsson, Ekholm, etc... US had... well... That was a huge difference.

Also, on a side note, Adam Larsson has specifically fun it has been to play for the national team, where he is given room to use his entire arsenal as a defenseman. In Edmonton, all they have asked from him is to be physical and play boards out. I think he's underutilized in Edmonton.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Can't argue with that. Sweden have Klingberg, Ekman-Larsson, Larsson, Ekholm, etc... US had... well... That was a huge difference.

Also, on a side note, Adam Larsson has specifically fun it has been to play for the national team, where he is given room to use his entire arsenal as a defenseman. In Edmonton, all they have asked from him is to be physical and play boards out. I think he's underutilized in Edmonton.

Sweden, per the usual, solid all around.

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
Anyone got a gif of that Gaudreau slash?

E: Nvm, found it.

What an idiot.

Reynys

Apr 30, 2011
So since USA has lost big to Sweden, are we going to get another "we need to reduce teams in elite division" thread? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad