GDT: Semifinal • Jan. 3 • United States 1, Canada 4 • Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
I don't deny that on average, Canadians as a whole have an easier time finding ways to play the game affordably. That being said, IMO, those opportunites are not that significant in the development of a kid wired to play the sport. Once that's discovered, the shinny days are a blip on the radar.

Outdoor hockey does impact the overall interest of the sport for young athletes. Minnesota is the closest thing to Canada in regards to outdoor facilities. The extra ice availability brings in more kids who you do find being "hardwired" to play. Unless global warming really accelerates I see Canada always holding an edge over the US.

Incidentally you could argue with a straight face Sweden and Finland based on population are actually the best hockey countries in the world.;)

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Because those aren't the numbers you should be using... The No. of registered players is all the matters, and those are rather close in both countries but Canada as over twice as many players in the NHL.

With your ... odd mathematics then the World would probably end up being better than either of the US or Canada.

Those are the number of registered players now right?
What were the number of registered players when today's NHLers were in youth hockey?
I'm just guessing but I'd guess that the USA had significantly less registered 10-20 years ago. That's just a guess, i could be wrong.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Because those aren't the numbers you should be using... The No. of registered players is all the matters, and those are rather close in both countries but Canada as over twice as many players in the NHL.

With your ... odd mathematics then the World would probably end up being better than either of the US or Canada.

His point with the numbers is easy to understand, as a % of population you ARE GUARANTEED to get a better breed of athlete playing and when you combine that with the climate and hockey culture its easy to see why there are more than twice as many
Canadians in the NHL than US players. I can still recall the days when Tommy Williams was the only US player in the NHL. I grew up in Boston in the 60's and in many towns the WORST ATHLETES played hockey, that has changed quite a bit in hockey areas
of the US, but the US loses many great athletes in hockey areas to other sports, its just a fact Canadians can't argue.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
I respectfully disagree. As someone who has been involved in Hockey Canada, I know there are ways for a kid to get subsidized and receive financial assistance if they need it. No kid would get left out if he wants to play.

If you are good enough, you will be found.

That's my experience, but I do come from a pretty small town, I admit.

I'm sure where exactly in Canada you're from makes a huge difference. My family moved a lot as a kid but I'm refering specifically to Vancouver and Victoria where I spent my teenage years. For a lot of those kids you will not be found because the only hockey you will have ever played won't have been on ice. Just the oppurtunity to skate isn't "easy" someplaces.

EDIT: Just want to make clear to you I am NOT taking a shot at any of the individual people, mostly volunteers, involved in youth hockey. I played every year for a long time and was surrounded by some of the best people you'll find anywhere...I have.nothing but good memories in that respect. It's more a matter of being dissapointed that for some kids it's an experience they'll never have. Back to the point, some of those kids (given how many there are) would surely end up being pretty good.

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I kept waiting for the U.S. to make the necessary adjustments. I kept waiting for them to start using their speed and their skill. Eventually, I realized that it just wasn't there this year.

If not for Jack Campbell, this is the most lopsided semi-final game since the tournament adopted the medal round format for the 1996 WJC in Boston. The U.S. was completely overwhelmed in every aspect of the game. Campbell was the lone bright spot for the U.S. But the U.S. didn't rally around Big Game Jack like they did in Saskatoon last year. (You could tell the Americans wanted Campbell as their No. 1 almost from the outset of the tournament).

For whatever reason, the U.S. didn't have it this year. The transition game wasn't there. Last year they had Carlson and Fowler who made such a difference with their skill and their ability to move the puck. And last year's team had so much speed and depth up front.

Last year's team had seven forwards with at least a point-per-game. This year's team will have one: Coyle. I know D'Amigo and Morin have been hurt, but the forwards were a big disappointment. You really could tell how much they missed Stepan and Schroeder. Krieder and Palmieri were nowhere near as effective as they were last year.

I don't think last year's U.S. gold medal was a fluke. That was a tremendous team - a deep, fast, well-rounded team could supply instant offence. But you could almost tell from the outset that they weren't the same team as what they had last year. It showed at various times in the tournament. And it was really apparent against Canada.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I'm sure where exactly in Canada you're from makes a huge difference. My family moved a lot as a kid but I'm refering specifically to Vancouver and Victoria where I spent my teenage years. For a lot of those kids you will not be found because the only hockey you will have ever played won't have been on ice. Just the oppurtunity to skate isn't "easy" someplaces.

EDIT: Just want to make clear to you I am NOT taking a shot at any of the individual people, mostly volunteers, involved in youth hockey. I played every year for a long time and was surrounded by some of the best people you'll find anywhere...I have.nothing but good memories in that respect. It's more a matter of being dissapointed that for some kids it's an experience they'll never have. Back to the point, some of those kids (given how many there are) would surely end up being pretty good.

Very true, I suppose. I live in Saskatchewan. Everything is affordable here. The fees for an annual family skating pass at our local arena is $190.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
His point with the numbers is easy to understand, as a % of population you ARE GUARANTEED to get a better breed of athlete playing and when you combine that with the climate and hockey culture its easy to see why there are more than twice as many
Canadians in the NHL than US players. I can still recall the days when Tommy Williams was the only US player in the NHL. I grew up in Boston in the 60's and in many towns the WORST ATHLETES played hockey, that has changed quite a bit in hockey areas
of the US, but the US loses many great athletes in hockey areas to other sports, its just a fact Canadians can't argue.

Much like Americans can't argue that China loses many athletes to other sports and could easily dominate basketball, baseball or American football if they really wanted to.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I kept waiting for the U.S. to make the necessary adjustments. I kept waiting for them to start using their speed and their skill. Eventually, I realized that it just wasn't there this year.

If not for Jack Campbell, this is the most lopsided semi-final game since the tournament adopted the medal round format for the 1996 WJC in Boston. The U.S. was completely overwhelmed in every aspect of the game. Campbell was the lone bright spot for the U.S. But the U.S. didn't rally around Big Game Jack like they did in Saskatoon last year. (You could tell the Americans wanted Campbell as their No. 1 almost from the outset of the tournament).

For whatever reason, the U.S. didn't have it this year. The transition game wasn't there. Last year they had Carlson and Fowler who made such a difference with their skill and their ability to move the puck. And last year's team had so much speed and depth up front.

Last year's team had seven forwards with at least a point-per-game. This year's team will have one: Coyle. I know D'Amigo and Morin have been hurt, but the forwards were a big disappointment. You really could tell how much they missed Stepan and Schroeder. Krieder and Palmieri were nowhere near as effective as they were last year.

I don't think last year's U.S. gold medal was a fluke. That was a tremendous team - a deep, fast, well-rounded team could supply instant offence. But you could almost tell from the outset that they weren't the same team as what they had last year. It showed at various times in the tournament. And it was really apparent against Canada.

There's a lot of fingers to point, but in the end I think the main difference maker was Canada came to play and imposed it's will on the U.S. team. Keith Allain was either unable or unwilling to change the face of the team to meet that challenge. Granted, that's hard to do in a seven game series much less a single-elimination game, but it is what is. Congrats to Canada.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Much like Americans can't argue that China loses many athletes to other sports and could easily dominate basketball, baseball or American football if they really wanted to.

You are missing my point entirely, I'm talking about losing US athletes in hockey regions where the interest and infrastructure exist. I've seen this in my own state of Massachusetts and I'm not talking only about kids that never played the sport, but kids who were multi-sport athletes (played hockey also) who chose to concentrate on other sports, like Tom Glavine (Baseball HOF/NHL Draft Pick) & recently Matt Antonelli who has appeared with San Diego Padres and in 2002-2003 HS year was the best athlete in the state of Mass. He was a very good HS hockey player, a great baseball player and terrific football player. In fact he was a football/hockey teammate of San Jose's John McCarthy. I'll guarantee you this happens far less frequently in Canada.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005

You are correct. China would dominate in any sport they chose to give special consideration to.

The rest of the day I'll be over at CFboards.com letting some 16 year old Indian kid tell me how the U.S. sucks at Cricket and how we have no heart.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
You are correct. China would dominate in any sport they chose to give special consideration to.

The rest of the day I'll be over at CFboards.com letting some 16 year old Indian kid tell me how the U.S. sucks at Cricket and how we have no heart.

Exactly. I'm just saying, anyone who is saying Canada is only superior at hockey because the USA doesn't try needs to take a look in the mirror.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad