GDT: Semifinal • Jan. 3 • United States 1, Canada 4 • Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilma

Sep 4, 2006
Here's hoping Canada comes out like they did in the second/first!

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
OT: Is Andrew Luck 100% coming out early? Is it nearly a lock or is the result of this game going to factor into his decision? Might as well comment on this since most US fans have stopped watching and it's intermission.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
sportsguy33 Bill Simmons
This junior hockey game is further proof that we just need to sell Buffalo to Canada. Get it over with already.

sportsguy33 Bill Simmons
What about a blockbuster in which we get Vancouver and Canada gets Buffalo + other goodies? I'm hitting the Trade Machine.

sportsguy33 Bill Simmons
OK, here's my final offer: Buffalo, Detroit, 50% of Montana, three No. 1 picks + $3 million for Vancouver + Steve Nash.

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
From the last thread: "Question for Americans: how do teams qualify for bowl games? i.e. why are Stanford and VTech playing?"

It's funny you should ask:

A breakdown of the ranking components:

I. Harris Interactive Poll (1/3rd)
Replaces the AP Poll. The first poll will be released October 10, then weekly through December 5. A team's score in the Harris poll will be divided by 2,825, which is the maximum number of points any team can receive if all 113 voting members rank the same team as Number 1. Example: 2,825 / 2,825 = 1.0. If a team receives a total of 113 voting points, an average of 25th place, their BCS quotient of this component would be .04. (1.0 / 25 = 0.04).

II. Coaches Poll (1/3rd)
A team's score in the USA Today poll will be divided by 1,475, which is the maximum number of points any team can receive if all 59 voting members rank the same team as Number 1. Example: 1,475 / 1,475 = 1.0. If a team receives a total of 59 voting points, an average of 25th place, their BCS quotient of this component would be .04. (1.0 / 25 = 0.04).

(Better understanding the polls: In both human polls, voting members fill out their own top 25 rankings ballot. Each team receives 1-25 points in reverse order of the way they are ranked. The 25th place team on each ballot receives 1 point, 24th place gets 2 points, 23rd receives 3 points... first place receives 25 points. This inverse point order is also applied to the computer rankings.

In the Harris Interactive College Football Poll and USA Today Coaches Poll, a team will be evaluated on the number of voting points it receives in each poll. The number of actual voters, which can vary, is figured into the computation on a weekly basis in stating each team's percentage of a possible perfect score.

III. Computer rankings (1/3rd)
The computer rankings percentage is calculated by dropping the highest and lowest ranking for each team and then dividing the remaining total by 100, the maximum possible points. (Example: the 6 rankers have Team A ranked 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, and 4. Take away the 2 and 4 which leaves an average of 3rd place. The BCS quotient of this component would be 0.92. (23 / 25 = 0.92).

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
they should be kissing Campbell's goalie skates between periods...he's kept this game from being 6-0

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Games probably out of reach but I hope the team at least shows same damn pride in the 3rd. It's not going the way you hoped. No kidding. But give it your all and hope you get a break or two and change the flow but if not, at least you can hold your head high.

milhouse7

Oct 17, 2010
sportsguy33 Bill Simmons
This junior hockey game is further proof that we just need to sell Buffalo to Canada. Get it over with already.

sportsguy33 Bill Simmons
What about a blockbuster in which we get Vancouver and Canada gets Buffalo + other goodies? I'm hitting the Trade Machine.

sportsguy33 Bill Simmons
OK, here's my final offer: Buffalo, Detroit, 50% of Montana, three No. 1 picks + $3 million for Vancouver + Steve Nash.

wtf dude? trade beautiful vancouver for dump towns of buffalo and detroit. let me gues no one is beating down your door to be a GM of any team.

JBIZ14

Nov 22, 2007
Lethbridge
sportsguy33 Bill Simmons

sportsguy33 Bill Simmons

sportsguy33 Bill Simmons
Canada hangs up laughing...
:laugh:

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
So this thread is for the USA/Canada WJC semifinal game, and we're talking about the Harris Poll?

Canadians don't care that we love football, baseball and basketball. Hockey is their #1 sport and the WJC to them is like the BCS to us.

And we don't care that they love hockey :wink:

slimkay

Mar 20, 2009
Montreal
If USA wins: Hahaha take that you cocky Canadians we beat u at ur own sport. America **** yeah!

If USA loses: Nobody cares :cry: I'm going to watch football

If Canada wins: OMG, WE THE BEST.

If Canada loses: LOL. It's only 1 year. Plus, we have 123214 1st round picks, and we had future-HOFers eligible but did not play (Hall, Skinner, Seguin, etc.).

It can work both ways. Cut the arrogance. Canada wins it but it's their sport. Kind of expected. Like the USA would likely own Canada at anything else.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
This will either be a great comeback or a sad, sad period for the US. Hopefully the first one.

huge*

i wanna watch the orange bowl so bad. love college fb about as much as hockey. huge gator fan. i flew down to miami 2 years ago for the national when florida beat the sooners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->