GDT: Semifinal • Jan. 3 • Sweden 3, Russia 4 (SO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I can't see a tired team Russia holding on for more than a period and a half in this game. And with Robyn Lehner in net the Russians will already be shaking in their boots going into the game.

Here's how it's going to play out: Sweden takes the early lead a couple minutes in followed by fairly even play with Russia tying things up at the 10 minute mark. About five minutes into the second Sweden regains the lead and the game remains close until Sweden score again with about 8 minutes to go in the second. This will open the floodgates and Russia can't withstand the barrage from Sweden and the rest will be a cakewalk. Final score, 8-1 Sweden.

The Swedes will go on to decisively defeat Canada in the final and capture the gold medal. Of this I am convinced. I'm fairly certain Canada will beat USA in another classic match up but either way nobody's stopping team Sweden, Canada doesn't have the goaltending and the US team is rather pedestrian compared to last year. There's only one team that could possibly beat Sweden and that is Sweden them self.

The only Swedish WJC squad that has ever impressed me more was the 2007 team in Pardubice.

Such a nice and intelligent Finn! :) No more rivalry.

The reason why we are so good are actually the heavily influence from North American hockey the last 10 years or so and perhaps taken some sisu from Finland.

Swedish puck posession and skill mixed with offensive and physical play is a deadly mix. Not to forget, some "Jävlar anamma" (sisu). ;-)

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Oh come on, 1 bad goal. The rest were quite flukey. Lehner wasn't terrible, merely average with one bad one. Anyway I fully expect him to bounce back, he is a top prospect who works extremely hard.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I'm with those who think Bobkov is a better goalie, but the difference between the two is marginal and neither are particularly great. A lot has already been said about 17 hours between two games for Russia and Bobkov is definitely more well rested than Shikin..

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I understand that USA wants their team to play prime-time and could care less how tired Russia is, but come on...

The organizers did a crap job when they setup the Quarter final schedule. They knew that the US was the Pool Winner and if they wanted them to play in prime time, that's fine, but ALL they had to do was to swap the start times for the Quarter finals and have Canada/Swiss play the evening game on Sunday and the evening tonight against the US.

That would have made everything fair.

Fulcrum

I can't see a tired team Russia holding on for more than a period and a half in this game. And with Robyn Lehner in net the Russians will already be shaking in their boots going into the game.

Here's how it's going to play out: Sweden takes the early lead a couple minutes in followed by fairly even play with Russia tying things up at the 10 minute mark. About five minutes into the second Sweden regains the lead and the game remains close until Sweden score again with about 8 minutes to go in the second. This will open the floodgates and Russia can't withstand the barrage from Sweden and the rest will be a cakewalk. Final score, 8-1 Sweden.

The Swedes will go on to decisively defeat Canada in the final and capture the gold medal. Of this I am convinced. I'm fairly certain Canada will beat USA in another classic match up but either way nobody's stopping team Sweden, Canada doesn't have the goaltending and the US team is rather pedestrian compared to last year. There's only one team that could possibly beat Sweden and that is Sweden them self.

The only Swedish WJC squad that has ever impressed me more was the 2007 team in Pardubice.

There was a guy from Finland who said something similiar; like "Russia doesn't have a chance.." cant quite remember his name ;)

But ye, in all seriosness the odds are stacked against the Ruskies. But they were too against Finland...

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The organizers did a crap job when they setup the Quarter final schedule. They knew that the US was the Pool Winner and if they wanted them to play in prime time, that's fine, but ALL they had to do was to swap the start times for the Quarter finals and have Canada/Swiss play the evening game on Sunday and the evening tonight against the US.

That would have made everything fair.

Russia is definitely getting screwed bigtime.

Svinet

May 20, 2010
Im highly worried about this game considering the match in group play. A Russia high on confidence, adrenaline and fighting spirit combined with a more rested but perhaps less focused Sweden could mean the end to the Swedish adventure this year. I won't predict anything yet but i have an uneasy feeling, probably based on the fact that both teams have had mixed performances during the whole tournament thus this match character is hard to predict.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Shouldn't game songs in international tournaments be more folky than pop/rock-based? This is hereby Sweden's game song for this game. :)

[yt*]uPOBQKUB49U[*/yt]

Excellent choise.. However, I think Jussi would have a thing or two to say about that, and remember, this came very close to being the national anthem of Sweden back in the 'ol days.

Last edited:

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
Anyone have a stream? I'm still at my hotel in pttsburgh and they obviously don't get the nhl network... Would be greatly appreciated

MaximusT

Dec 5, 2008

a little upset from that loss last night huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad