GDT: Semifinal • Jan. 3 • Sweden 3, Russia 4 (SO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude67

Nov 15, 2010
Russians had more chances to goal than Swedens in theyr first match-up, so dont see any reason why would it be different this time. Talking about brains???UHH :shakehead

What i mean is this when u get really tired in this game the first sign of that is bad decisions and that comes from lack of oxygen in brains.

Russian played a hard game against the Finns a couple of hour ago how they recover from that?

Russian will work much harder if they going to beat Sweden that is for sure

Is nothing to do with how smart u are is about how overall fit u are and have Russian one more gear as team to play against Sweden in back to back games

paradeofwolves

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto
This is one of those games where I'm not going to be actively rooting for a particular team, but with the show that was put on last night, I can't help but look forward to an underdog win.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

great, Canada place it's 1/4 before us and semi after us, is it fair or what?

The team barely dragged it's feet in the end, I dunno how can they recoup in 17 hours....But we are Russia and god is with us!

You do know that the United States can pick their time slot and they decided to go with all the primetime hours... Ah, those ****ing Canadians "FORCING" the US to pick the primetime slots !!!

We should be going to relegation cause of that.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
after yesterday's miracle, I can definitely see Russia winning this one. Sure, they may be tired, but the confidence they gained may be huge.

Plus, now they don't have that big of a burden on their shoulders. Had they lost yesterday, it would have been considered a failed tourney. Now, even if they lose, they won't be blamed much.

BlackAces*

It really is a shame that Russia has basically zero recovery time for such an important game. It is one thing for the NHL to do it in game 53 of the regular season, but it is not acceptable with a single knockout elimination style tournament.

It is hard enough playing two games in two days, let alone two games in less than two days, especially an emotional one that went to OT.

Canada vs Switzerland should have been the late game, terrible organization.

Sweden catches a huge break.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
It really is a shame that Russia has basically zero recovery time for such an important game. It is one thing for the NHL to do it in game 53 of the regular season, but it is not acceptable with a single knockout elimination style tournament.

It is hard enough playing two games in two days, let alone two games in less than two days, especially an emotional one that went to OT.

Yes it is a bit unfair I would say.

But anyway I wouldn't say that Sweden caught a huge break. Sweden has won over both Russia and Canada and should deserve to be in a better spot than them. I am not saying that it is good as it is as it is. But with the Schedule done as it is and transparent for each to exercise tactics on before the tournament I see it as ok.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

But anyway I wouldn't say that Sweden caught a huge break. Sweden has won over both Russia and Canada and should deserve to be in a better spot than them. I am not saying that it is good as it is as it is. But with the Schedule done as it is and transparent for each to exercise tactics on before the tournament I see it as ok.

That's true. Sweden had to win games to deserve this advantage.

BlackAces*

I am not blaming Sweden, I think the organizers of the tournament ****ed up on this one.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
I am not blaming Sweden, I think the organizers of the tournament ****ed up on this one.

I agree but this kind of stuff happens every tournament. The US was in the same situation in the 2007 semi-final against Canada as Russia is now and I'm sure several other teams have been as well. I would change the rules about this kind of stuff if it was up to me.

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
What is it 17-18 hours since the russians last game?
I do agree that this is way too little break between the games.
I would be a little pissed off if I was a russian fan, but actually Im a little pissed off as a swede too because this could've happened to any team. The IIHF planning of the schedule sucks.

If sport fairness had been the leading parole, then the US-CAN game would have been the early game today. That way, both Canada and Russia would have got the same time to recover between quarterfinals and semifinals. I know that the reason is that they want US to play the evening game and as hosts they get to influence the schedule, but sport fairness is more important, IMO.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
hmm..

so had USA finished 2nd in their group and were forced to play the quarter finals, they would've been the ones playing Russia last night and the game would still be at 7:30 as it's prime time and if Russia won that game, they would still be playing the semis at 3:30 today..

not good scheduling indeed

BlackAces*

I agree but this kind of stuff happens every tournament. The US was in the same situation in the 2007 semi-final against Canada as Russia is now and I'm sure several other teams have been as well. I would change the rules about this kind of stuff if it was up to me.

Yeah I know and I agree. I just wanted to make a point of that the bad system is equal to all at least.

It shouldn't be too hard to sit back on Friday night and figure out by Saturday morning the best way to set this up, and still have the US playing in prime time as the host country. Canada should have been the late game.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
You do know that the United States can pick their time slot and they decided to go with all the primetime hours... Ah, those ****ing Canadians "FORCING" the US to pick the primetime slots !!!

We should be going to relegation cause of that.

if your trying to paraphrase my previous post - u did a good job (as far as the prime-time goes). :laugh::laugh::laugh:

In reality had it been some other team than Canada - I would have said the same, so please, deal with your complexes, but not at my sake. Thank you.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Swedens winning this one folks.

4-1 Sweden I think it can get alot uglier then that though.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005

Yeah the tournament schedule has been a total joke so far. They did this to the Czechs as well during the round robin, and I think they went on to play the Swedes as well!

Just because of the bad scheduling I'm gonna cheer for Russians, because they're the clear underdog now.

rushockey

Oct 4, 2010
Calgary
www.rushockey.com
Well, I can definitely agree that 17 or so hours is just not really enough time to recover but looking at the recent history Russia played fairly well against Canada in the semifinal 2 years ago, they also had only about 20 hours of rest. As a matter of fact that was one of the best recent games by Russia, too bad they couldn't hold on to the 5:4 lead.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

if your trying to paraphrase my previous post - u did a good job (as far as the prime-time goes). :laugh::laugh::laugh:

In reality had it been some other team than Canada - I would have said the same, so please, deal with your complexes, but not at my sake. Thank you.

What you and certain other posters are not getting is that the host teams has the final word on when their games will be played. Being that this tournament is in Buffalo (USA), the Americans decided that all their games would be aired in order to get as many viewers as possible.

It's the way the schedule is made and is was printed before the tournament, stop crying over something you don't even understand and get your facts in order.

Deal with your complexes.... give me a ****ing break :laugh:

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
What you and certain other posters are not getting is that the host teams has the final word on when there games will be played. Being that this tournament is in Buffalo (USA), the Americans decided that all their games would be aired in order to get as many viewers as possible.

It's the way the schedule is made and is was printed before the tournament, stop crying over something you don't even understand and get your facts in order.

Deal with your complexes.... give me a ****ing break :laugh:

you obviously have some comrpehension difficulties, and here I am thinking that as a non-native speaker that would have been me. Read over the thread, clearly see what I had written about the prime-time way before you - calm down, work on the complexes. I know devils having a tough one...Come to Boston - have a beer on me.

Last edited:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Yakushev72

Sweden is really an outstanding team, and it would be a huge accomplishment to beat them under normal circumstances. You can't blame the US for selecting a time that is most advantageous to themselves, and Canada obviously had nothing to do with it, but still, they ought to fix it for the future so that advancement to the Gold Medal game won't be decided by a team that has had 17 hours rest.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if Russia is inspired by their comeback last night and refuses to let the lack of rest hold them back. They have to make fewer mistakes than they made last night to have a chance against Sweden!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->