GDT: Semifinal • Russia vs. United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

Privet

Sep 25, 2015
Victoria, BC
I predict Russia will fold against Finland tomorrow. Russia has a tendency to play their gold medal game in their semi-finals when beating Canada or USA, and then playing lazy/tired in the gold medal game.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Russia has now won a Medal in 11 of the last 12 World Juniors. That's crazy consistency.

It's very impressive. Good systems and bringing over rosters full of 19 year olds is a good model. I always enjoy watching the Russians play even though they are Canada's biggest rival.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
I predict Russia will fold against Finland tomorrow. Russia has a tendency to play their gold medal game in their semi-finals when beating Canada or USA, and then playing lazy/tired in the gold medal game.

Why would the fold now???? As far as I'm concerned, I think Russia's going to win.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Russia was clearly the better team: it's always scary when they play disciplined team defence - the individual skill and speed will always be there but without coherent team play they don't count for that much in the end. This is one scary Russian team this year.

Bingo. All of those guys on that Russian team are so skilled. Better team won today.

Thought Boeser and White struggled for USA. Matthews and Tkachuk weren't great but they had puck possession most shifts and were very noticeable. When those two weren't out there, US looked too small to beat a disciplined, skilled, big and physical Russian squad.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
I'd like to see more players like Matthews who have a late birthday to go play pro hockey overseas if they graduate from USNDTP, but i understand why a 17 year old would want to stay closer to home. Playing pro hockey is so much more beneficial for a kid's development than tearing up the OHL against weak and slow 17 year olds.

Yes that is not easy and Matthews is first example- if he perfectly begins at NHL i think we will see much more those examples - Top juniors at Pro level in Europe.
Most of Russian top players are developed fully at Europe: Ovie, Malkin, Tarasenko, Kucherov, Kuznetsov and many many others. Look at Panarin -Undrafted guy who developed at pro level better than most of top 10 of his draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad