GDT: Semifinal • Jan. 3 • Sweden 3, Russia 4 (SO) • Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Putting down your opponent, especially right after you won by the narrowest of margin, is classless regardless whether its fact or not. That would be like telling Norway they have no busines in World Jr tournament and should stick to Division I hockey.

It may be true, but only a jackass would say anything like that. Like I said before I have never heard a coach put down an opponent like that before, especially at a Press conference in front of the world media. This guy got what was coming to him, obviously his team did not respond to him based on the flat performance in the first 2 periods.

You just backed out of our discussion earlier. This quote you were talking about, source please.

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
Yeah they said that the russian team behaved badly but I don't know if it was just Wikegård talking, didn't see it.
Props to Tarasenko though, humble kid and great in this game:
- Big thanks to the Swedish team. It is a great team. Good luck in the bronze match, Tarasenko said to SVT.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
Oh, so he shouldn't be allowed to state his opinion that another team was better in this tournament, than the allmighty Canadians??

No. He should put on a shirt, put a tie on, throw some wax in his hair and show the best smile he can fake and say: "No comment", "Great game!", "Love that Crosby fellow", "We had som lucky bounces".

And thats just when mom is calling asking him how he is doing.

Last edited:

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
so anyways, great to see Russia in the finals after a lot of people totally wrote them off when we went 0-2

Yep. Talks about Russian not producing enought young talent anymore were heavily exaggeration.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
No, most just think the coach's comments were unnecessary.
Rönnberg: “I think actually, we had tougher games against the Czechs and Russians,” Rönnberg said. “Those games were tougher for us to control. I think they play better offensively than Canada did tonight.”

So he gave his honest opinion that the other games were tactically harder to play through and that he felt Sweden was actually in good control in large parts of the game vs. Canada, which many Canadian fans agreed on. In one frigging round robin game. Crap storm ensues. Canadian sensationalist media goes crazy*, Canada not put on pedestal, despite having struggles in the actual game that was played. Canadian fans with fragile egos expected to hunt this quote for a week (probably infinitely) and sure, we can see that.

In what way has he disgraced the godly Canada? Did he say anything about the actual Canadian team? Did he say anything about their chances to win gold? Did anyone ask him about it?

Ronnberg smacks Team Canada (yeah right, thanks mr. sensationalist):
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTH/RONNBERG-SMACKS-TEAM-CANADA/6/32529

Amazing how you can form the base of an entire article based on one quote, isn't it? Nevermind what he actually meant, it's easier to form opinions of your own!:
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorho...s-were-tougher-games-?urn=juniorhockey-302193

Again... don't try to put this crap on a coach that gave his honest opinion of the round robin games. It's your attitude that's the problem here. If you can't handle Canada isn't put on a pedestal in every frigging interview regardless of the game picture, just censor the whole damn thing and stop being such hypocrites.

This is beyond ridiculous.

Last edited:

Evil Romano

Jan 3, 2011
Bassano Vicenza
No, most just think the coach's comments were unnecessary.

Unnecessary how? Because it did not boost up your ego the way you wanted? Oh wait, I guess it did. What would have been "necessary", on the other hand, I suppose would be a comment on how "Canada is tougher than Russia", and simply the other way around. Only then would this fit your dogmatic rules on what is acceptable or not. Ridiculous.

Fulcrum

Here's an idea.

As a fan I felt entertained - Great hockey game! That's what hockey is about. Russia had their share of bad luck with 2009 Semis vs Canada, no big deal- there's always another year.

Please stop the chirping. We're all adults

Simfas

Nov 5, 2008
Sweden
Meh, some guys are trolling and are either 15 years old or have a mental capicity of a 15 year old...And its as someone before me said, nothing about nationality all about jerkiness(nice new word huh?:naughty:) There are swedes that are jerks, canadians, americans, finns etc....

Anyway the game sucked(since im a swede) Not a good game at all, we hade a good OT and third but the first two periods were downright awful, just plain awful. It was sloppy, no heart, it was nothing! Russians deserved to win in regulation, they were more focused and showed a hell of alot more heart.

Something positive from Sweden was that Adam Larsson had a great game, by far his best in this tournament. Did he have 3 points? Dont remember but he played very good anyway.

I also liked Jesper Fasth, great speed and tried when I thought no one else did.

Congratulations to Russia! I hope you take the gold( It will be easier to cheer for you since im learing russian:))
Sorry for the long text

Vladiator16*

Good game Swedes, tough brake on that blown call... better luck in the next game and next year!

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Why did Sweden completely abandon their physical game in this one? That's why they were picked as favourites in this tourney, they appeared to have a great mix of physicality and skill. They didn't hit anything this afternoon, that's how you beat the Russians, the Russians have as much skill as anyone. This was either coaching or the players thought they had it in the bag. Mental breakdown either way.

The Russians were tired and the Swedes didn't make them pay physically. A lost opportunity, it was there for the taking. Bad strategy.

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
Why did Sweden completely abandon their physical game in this one? That's why they were picked as favourites in this tourney, they appeared to have a great mix of physicality and skill. They didn't hit anything this afternoon, that's how you beat the Russians, the Russians have as much skill as anyone. This was either coaching or the players thought they had it in the bag. Mental breakdown either way.

The Russians were tired and the Swedes didn't make them pay physically. A lost opportunity, it was there for the taking. Bad strategy.

I can only agree. Not sure why it happened.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Rönnberg: “I think actually, we had tougher games against the Czechs and Russians,†Rönnberg said. “Those games were tougher for us to control. I think they play better offensively than Canada did tonight.â€

So you don't see how his saying the Czechs and Russians played better offensively than us, despite the fact that they combined for less goals against his team, could be taken as unnecessary provocation?

manifesty

Dec 20, 2010
Buffalo, NY
This surprise win makes the next game a lot more interesting.

A shame the Swedes didn't show up for the first two periods, they had a very strong tournament and even with all the heart the Russians are showing I still think they would've been more of a threat.

Djurgardsjavel

Oct 29, 2010
Valhalla
Swedish "experts" telling you this was just a coincidence? Check.

Business as usual. We'll keep doing this forever. Losing when it matters.

I've got a dream. Don Cherry coaching the next generation Swedish Juniors, if nothing else but to settle a very, very old argument. All those in favour of Don as new manager of Swedish Junior hockey say yes, and pump your fist. Twice.

We want Don. Let's get a campaign going here on HF Boards and see how he responds to it.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
So you don't see how his saying the Czechs and Russians played better offensively than us, despite the fact that they combined for less goals against his team, could be taken as unnecessary provocation?

Here's what sensationalism is, he could have said just before that the Canadian D was the best so far, but the only thing the media wants to tell you is that he's criticising the Canadian team. It's pretty unbelievable how Sweden is being treated, called classless and cocky and so on, when the overwhelming majority of Swedish hockey players are of the Lidström, Sedin, Zetterberg and Bäckström-type in character. People see what they want to see.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
Rönnberg: “I think actually, we had tougher games against the Czechs and Russians,†Rönnberg said. “Those games were tougher for us to control. I think they play better offensively than Canada did tonight.â€

So he gave his honest opinion that the other games were tactically harder to play through and that he felt Sweden was actually in good control in large parts of the game vs. Canada, which many Canadian fans agreed on. In one frigging round robin game. Crap storm ensues. Canadian sensationalist media goes crazy*, Canada not put on pedestal, despite having struggles in the actual game that was played. Canadian fans with fragile egos expected to hunt this quote for a week (probably infinitely) and sure, we can see that.

In what way has he disgraced the godly Canada? Did he say anything about the actual Canadian team? Did he say anything about their chances to win gold? Did anyone ask him about it?

Ronnberg smacks Team Canada (yeah right, thanks mr. sensationalist):
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTH/RONNBERG-SMACKS-TEAM-CANADA/6/32529

Amazing how you can form the base of an entire article based on one quote, isn't it? Nevermind what he actually meant, it's easier to form opinions of your own!:
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorho...s-were-tougher-games-?urn=juniorhockey-302193

Again... don't try to put this crap on a coach that gave his honest opinion of the round robin games. It's your attitude that's the problem here. If you can't handle Canada isn't put on a pedestal in every frigging interview regardless of the game picture, just censor the whole damn thing and stop being such hypocrites.

This is beyond ridiculous.

Canadian media love to use this stuff to build up for a game and get team Canada fired up, don't take any offence of it...we know those comments weren't meant to bash team Canada in any way.

LostMyGlasses*

Please USA, beat Canada so that we can face them and beat them out of even a bronze medal.

It's a shame Sweden's gold medal drought continues. I thought this team was capable of winning it all.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus

They did, regardless of how many goals they scored. Lehner sucked against Canada - that game could've easily ended up 5-1 if he had a good game.

Is it provocation to say that two teams created more chances than another team? Or is it only a provocation when that team happens to be Canada?:sarcasm:

I'm blown away that you Canadians even see this as a provocation or insult, it was the truth, both the Czech's and the Russians created more offence against us than Canada did - what's the problem? If anything you should be pissed at your team for not performing better than those two teams. It's hardly either of Sweden's, the Czech's or the Russian's fault - it's just a fact, and anyone who actually saw the games would agree. But I guess there's some unwritten rule that states that you shall never ever say that another team has been better than Canada. Even in a single game in the damn JWC.

You are embarrassing yourselves...:shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->