Olympics: Semi-OT What it costs to be an Olympian

• Thread starter Granlund2Pulkkinen*
  • Start date

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
Surprised that hockey is among the cheapest on the list. Considering you can make a much better living doing that than any of the other sports (and there are many more jobs available internationally), I wonder what makes people shell out up to $30,000 a year for fringe sports. Most of them can't even land decent sponsorships or endorsements after a successful Olympic Games.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
Surprised that hockey is among the cheapest on the list. Considering you can make a much better living doing that than any of the other sports (and there are many more jobs available internationally), I wonder what makes people shell out up to $30,000 a year for fringe sports. Most of them can't even land decent sponsorships or endorsements after a successful Olympic Games.

You know. Love of the sport and all that.

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008

The thing about hockey compared to the other sports is that it is a team sport, hence the cost is usually shared between 15 to 20 families, whereas most other sports are individual.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad