ATL
Dqja15yX4AEHE6q

Lineup
1. Ichiro (L)
2. Wade Boggs (L)
3. Rogers Hornsby (R)
4. Lou Gehrig (L)
5. Mickey Mantle (S)
6. Mickey Cochrane (L)/Roy Campanella (R)
7. Lance Berkman (S)
8. Nomar Garrciaparra (R)
9. Pitcher

Rotation
1. Lefty Grove (L)
2. Clayton Kershaw (L)
3. Jim Palmer (R)
4. Johan Santana (L)
Bullpen
Multi-Inn- Hoyt Wilhelm (R)
Multi-Inn- Wilbur Wood (L)
Hammer- Billy Wagner (L)
Short- Tug McGraw (L)
Short- Johnathan Papelbon (R)

Depth Chart
C- M Cochrane | R Campanella (R)
1B- L Gehrig | D Ortiz (L)
2B- R Hornsby | E Delahanty
3B- W Boggs | A Sober W Boggs (?)
SS- N Garrciaparra | Jeets (R)
LF- L Berkman | E Delahanty (R)
CF- M Mantle | Ichiro
RF- Ichiro | L Walker (L)

VERSUS

Hanshin Tigers

Managed by: Terry Francona

C Buster Posey (R) 132 OPS+
1B Frank Thomas (R) 156 OPS+
2B Charlie Gehringer (L) 124 OPS +
3B Mike Schmidt (R) 147 OPS+
SS Alex Rodriguez (R) 140 OPS+
LF Frank Robinson (R) 154 OPS+
CF Ken Griffey Jr (L) 136 OPS+
RF Babe Ruth (L) 206 OPS+

Bench Willie McCovey (L) 147 OPS+
Bench Thurman Munson (R) 116 OPS+
Bench Sam Crawford (L) 144 OPS+

SP Satchel Paige (R)
SP Christy Mathewson (R) 136 ERA+
SP Three Finger Brown (R) 139 ERA+
SP Justin Verlander (R) 126 ERA+
SP Max Scherzer (R) 131 ERA+

CLOSER John Hiller (L)
RP Andrew Miller (L)
RP Bobby Shantz (L)
RP Roy Face (R)
RP Willie Hernandez (L)

LINEUP
1. Charlie Gehringer (L) .404 OBP
2. Alex Rodriguez (R)
3. Babe Ruth (L)
4. Frank Thomas (R)
5. Frank Robinson (R)
6. Mike Schmidt (R)
7. Ken Griffey Jr (L)
8. Buster Posey (R)

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
I like my chances here. His lineup is full of fantastic players, but the lack of power is going to be the difference here. There are just too many power bats on Hanshin to try to contain, and with Rocket City rolling with a 4 man rotation, the dam is bound to burst.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Vegeta, nicely put together team, but your staff is going to have to go Super Saiyan to quiet my lineup.

Your pitching staff is going to have a challenge with matchups here. All righty rotation leading into an, almost, all lefty bullpen will hand me the advantage setting lineups and making in game changes. And frankly, your bullpen doesn't offer too much stopping power against my big bats.

I don't really see the lack of power you're talking about. My 3 through 8 have an average SLG% of .554 with Campy's .500 being the lowest of the bunch. Any perceived lack of power is easily offset by the on base skills of my entire lineup, particularly 2 through 7 are all getting on base over 40% of the time. The two that only get on base at a 35-36% clip are north of .300.

Campy and Cochrane will have a nice and easy time controlling the running game, only ARod to worry about running free. Anyone else with a sniff of speed is going to be behind a base clogger or two.

I won't hesitate to go to Wagner to face down The Babe in a high leverage situation (and won't be a problem to let him face the righties behind him); Paps will be able to hold down and save opportunity that arises in that case. Hoyt and Wood will be used to throw off the timing of the hitters with their knuckle ball heavy arsenal, using them as a bridge between the starters, who have some heavy fastballs and traditional breaking stuff, to the short guys in the pen, who have some heavy fastballs and nasty breaking stuff. It's gonna be fun to "watch" these power hitters try to adjust their approaches twice a game.

This is certainly a series I would love to watch on TV... a balanced lineup vs a power heavy lineup; a pitching staff with a bit of an unorthodox plan vs a traditional staff; a team with options to mix and match vs a set it and forget it team.

Reactions: td_ice

Say Hey Kid

it's better to burn out than to fade awa
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I like my chances here. His lineup is full of fantastic players, but the lack of power is going to be the difference here. There are just too many power bats on Hanshin to try to contain, and with Rocket City rolling with a 4 man rotation, the dam is bound to burst.
Agreed. At this elite level of hitting, I think the Trash Pandas 4 starters are going to be tired after pitching an entire regular season against mostly Hall of Famers every game. That's why I used 5 starters in the regular season and then in the playoffs I sent the 5th one HoF lefty Hal Newhouser to the bullpen for long relief.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Votes are in: Hanshin takes a nip-and-tuck series 4-3...congrats on making the Finals!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->