Selling alcohol products such as Wine and Vodka at sports events

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
Screw beer leagues. Wine leagues are where it's at.

Perhaps French and Italian players that can, one day, aspire to the NHL draft have played in wine leagues as kids.

It would have to be IceWine for hockey games.:yo:

Hope the Leafs (and the Habs as well) have stocked enough icewine for their bars. If either team go into the playoffs they may not have enough icewine to last until the SCF.

What about steak?

Most arenas also have restaurants where fans can eat steaks either pre- or post-game.

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
Most arenas also have restaurants where fans can eat steaks either pre- or post-game.

Yeah I know...but that's not nearly the same thing. I'm talking about a steak you can eat at your seat while watching the game.

Alas, the dream will probably never come true. *sigh*

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
Yeah I know...but that's not nearly the same thing. I'm talking about a steak you can eat at your seat while watching the game.

Alas, the dream will probably never come true. *sigh*

The only arena that I know that does on-seat à la carte food is the ACC, and your order must be placed before the end of the 2nd period. For this reason the ACC lower bowl has often been likened to a fine dining restaurant during Leafs games. And yes, there is steak on the ACC's on-seat menu. The ACC probably has the best on-seat food in the NHL.

However, can anyone confirm that only golds, platinums and luxury boxes can use that service?

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
The Garden has a bar that serves everything that you listed (wine, vodka, whiskey, rum etc). Which arenas are you talking about?

Edit: I could be wrong but I think it has to do with the liquor license(s) of the arena management and the contracts that they are legally able to sign with alcohol distributors.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
It's hard to imagine people drinking wine in the general seating area. It just doesn't fit the experience. Typically you would expect to at least have a table if you're drinking wine or mixed drinks, which is why most arenas have a bar of some sort somewhere in the building.

But hey, if you really want to sit there and sip chardonnay while screaming "ref you suck", who am I to stop you?

There was this very genteel lady who came to all the games in Nashville. Sat on the glass. Usually she and her husband had grandchildren (or maybe great grandchildren--hard to tell their age) in tow, but their parents sat in a different area. From the moment she got them she was slugging down wine cup after wine cup (politely, of course, that was her way). Only when the parents came to get the kids to take them home did she stop. She'd have never uttered the words "ref you suck" and, indeed, rarely wore a jersey, but she never missed a game and always stood and cheered for goals. Boy did she like her wine.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Some stadiums sell wine but there always some lower-class guy saying that it's destroying the games because wine attracts more wealthy and women people. Vodka doesn't seem to be sold at any sports events from what I've known.

What are your opinion of selling more alcohol outside of the traditional beer market? I would support it since I enjoy vodka and wine more than I do for beer. Rum and whisky should be sold at sport events too.

I guess lower class guy would prefer a sausagefest?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah I know...but I'm talking about a steak you can eat at your seat while watching the game...

Like with linen & silverware, mushrooms, a baked potato & mebbe asparagus tips during the game in general seating?.:biglaugh:

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
Like with linen & silverware, mushrooms, a baked potato & mebbe asparagus tips during the game in general seating?.:biglaugh:

Yes, you're hired!

Seriously though, I cant imagine not having a beer while watching the game. What I don't support is $10 for a beer! Good thing I come prepared with a couple pre-game beers for the parking lot.

And I would like to keep the women people at the arena. Just the cute women people though.

Edit: There used to be these things called pocket shots at a nearby liquor store which i cannot find anymore. Basically, it was a shot in a plastic bag and you just tore the top off and would shoot it. Conceals perfectly.

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
The only arena that I know that does on-seat à la carte food is the ACC, and your order must be placed before the end of the 2nd period. For this reason the ACC lower bowl has often been likened to a fine dining restaurant during Leafs games. And yes, there is steak on the ACC's on-seat menu. The ACC probably has the best on-seat food in the NHL.

However, can anyone confirm that only golds, platinums and luxury boxes can use that service?

Holy macaroni, you're right!
http://www.theaircanadacentre.com/foodandbeverage/quickservice/InSeatMenu.asp

Anyone know the price of a steak there?

YUMMM

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
There used to be these things called pocket shots at a nearby liquor store which i cannot find anymore. Basically, it was a shot in a plastic bag and you just tore the top off and would shoot it. Conceals perfectly.

Are you a senior?

Ogopogo*

Why do people need to drink alcohol to make it through a sporting event?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Are you referring to eveyone or just Leafs fans?... If the latter, I should think the answers rather obvious Ogopogo. You spot them in bars from Malibu to Moncton. Sitting in the corners gunning down straight shots of Jose Ceurvo, looking tragic and despondent, angry some might say, dying for a smoke, and were not even allowed that little comfort in public anymore.

Last edited:

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
Are you referring to eveyone or just Leafs fans?... If the latter, I should think the answers rather obvious Ogopogo. You spot them in bars from Malibu to Moncton. Sitting in the corners gunning down straight shots of Jose Ceurvo, looking tragic and despondent, angry some might say, dying for a smoke, and were not even allowed that little comfort in public anymore.

your avy scares me

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I didn't vote because I can vote yes or no. I don't mind venues selling wine/vodka, but it seems weird if it's not in the bar area of the venue.

Ruslan Zainullin

Aug 2, 2011

i am not much of a drinker, but i like to have a couple of rum and cokes at a hockey game (by a couple i mean two). its one of the few places i actually like to drink a little bit, it just adds to the experience for me. (ample beverage choices are made available at flames games, so your vodka is in there). I certainly agree that there is no need to drink to excess in that environment especially with young fans around but a drink or two adds to the experience for me.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
At the Tank, HP Pavilion....

Wine and full bar has always been available to club level folks.

The Sharks converted one of their main concourse merchandise stands into a full service bar, as well as offer Sharkaritas and a few other mixed drinks.

Also, there's a microbrewery or two that supply beer (on tap) as well as a wide variety (read international flavor and domestic) of bottled beer available around the concourse.

That was a bit of a shock for me the first time I ever went to a game at the Tank. Where I came from (Washington State) booze wasn't sold to the general public at games.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
At the Phillip's, they have a club level with a fully stocked bar sitdown bar, obviosuly exclusive to club level tickets. On the lower level, they also have several liquor stands to get a rum/bourbon & coke, margarita, vodka/gin tonic, etc open to anyone of age. They also have a pretty good beer selection, compared to most stadiums. You can get craft beers there, and it's not hard to locate. Never sat upstairs much, but I know they have one pretty big bar up there, also with a full liquor selection. That was open for every game, though. Not sure on stands throughout the upper concourse.

Personally, I normally do a beer per period. My main thing with drinking too much at a game, is that I'll kill myself if I have to get up mid-period to take a leak. If I want to get hammered, I'll do it before or after the game. No need to do it while paying $10/drink.

grabovski4norris

Feb 3, 2011
Originally Posted by Ogopogo

A lot of people think that being buzzed/drunk makes things better.

To each their own. Myself, I don't like to drink at games because I can't pay attention as much with a buzz. I don't want to miss anything when I go to a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->