Sell me on Kane or Turris

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Kane is an exceptional offensive talent and has hockey sense out the ying yang. He sees the ice incredibly well, and seems to know where everyone is. On the PP, he eats up teams because they have to respect him for his scoring ability, yet he can just as easily feather a pass straight through the defenders. In terms of pure offensive ability, you could argue he's the best in the draft class, although Cherepanov's 18 Russian Super League goals can atest. As for the rumors of skating and defensive liability that surround Kane, it remains to be seen. From what I've seen, it's there, especially the skating, and while he isn't one of those super speedsters, he certainly would have skating adequate of the NHL level very soon. In terms of defense, he does backcheck, and while he doesn't do PK, he gets back effectively, and is far from a defensive liability. Then again, a team who needs him only needs him to be okay in his own end, because he'll be so busy filling the net with pucks.

Kyle Turris showed he can live up to the hype through his play in the U18, but the fact that he doesn't play Major Junior A, and the fact that he dominated, but didn't overpower his opponents, leaves me a bit skeptical. Of course, Turris is a more well rounded player than Kane (at least for what he was required to do), and so he isn't as offensively gifted. If a team is looking for offense, they should pass on him, but if they want a well rounded, two way player that could probably be comfortable in all situations, and of course provide some grit that is almost exclusive to Canadians (almost), then they should pick him. Sure, my knoweledge of Turris isn't great, as I've never seen him play, but its clear he has what it takes to be a quality NHL player. At the same time though, I would probably have him at the bottom of the Top 5 forwards...

Wetcoaster

Here is what his coach, former NHL D-man Rick Lanz has to say:

“He’s very dynamic individual. He creates offensive situations basically from nothing. And that’s his ability to see the game, anticipate and he’s just got a brilliant mind for the game. Along with his athleticism, it’s a pretty amazing package.â€

“Well, yeah he’s amongst the best, no question. I had the chance to coach Scott Gomez and there are a lot of similarities between the two. In some cases I would say that maybe, at this time in their careers, I would say that Kyle is a little more dynamic than Gomez was. It’s just the level of talent that he brings to the table. He’s at the top, in this league, within his peers. His ability to play the game at a high level, and do the things he does, really separates him from his peers.â€

"Pound-for-pound the talent level of Kyle is something that comes along only once in awhile. I had Scott Gomez in Surrey, and Kyle is equally or potentially better in terms of skill set. I would definitely group him in with Kariya, Gomez and such. I think Kyle is in a slightly different bracket with those guys…he's got that extra ability to see the game, dish pucks under duress. There is zero panic in his game, and those are all special attributes."

"He's very elusive; he's very rarely hit. He uses his peripheral vision so well."

And:
"He's got everything, he's just a little weak," said one western conference scout. "The guy's a projection, but he has tremendous upside. I think he has the most upside of any player in the draft. He's a pretty talented kid."

His major weakness? 6'1" - 170 lbs - he needs to add weight and strengthen up. This past season he put on 13 pounds with a rigorous training regimen.

He was heavily recruited by the hometown Vancouver Giants (he lives in the Vancouver suburb of New Westminster and plays for the BCHL Burnaby Express another suburb). He chose to go the NCAA route instead. Too bad he would have been an offensive dynamo on the Giants.

How awas the sales job????:D

Sybil227

Jun 16, 2004
Santa Clarita
As for the rumors of skating and defensive liability that surround Kane, it remains to be seen. From what I've seen, it's there, especially the skating, and while he isn't one of those super speedsters, he certainly would have skating adequate of the NHL level very soon.

Ask Luc Robitaille how important skating is to being an effective forward in the NHL.
9th round (171st overall) - scouting report: Can't skate

You can't teach hockey sense. Kane has it in abundance, a nose for the net, and great passing ability. As long as he can go forwards and back, I don't worry about his skating.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Ask Luc Robitaille how important skating is to being an effective forward in the NHL.
9th round (171st overall) - scouting report: Can't skate

You can't teach hockey sense. Kane has it in abundance, a nose for the net, and great passing ability. As long as he can go forwards and back, I don't worry about his skating.

In all fairness, this was a different era we're talking about. Skating is far more important now than it used to be.

That said, Kane's skating isn't going to be a problem. His coaches in the AHL and NHL will help him improve that drastically, although at this point I don't think it's a problem anyway.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
None of them. You should pick Esposito..............okay bad joke. Personally Kane's offense looks just too hard to pass up. Its one thing to put up 145 points in the OHL but he did very well against the best in the world at the WJC. Not to mention he did well in the OHL playoffs. He seems to just score all the time.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I have seen Kane over 40 times this season--believe me he doesn't back-check well at all...BUT the question is ,is that because he wasn't asked to back-check hard in the London attack system? (ie. they wanted his greatest energy saved for the attack,and others were expected to cover for Kane's weak back-ckeck--also not a big worry to London since against most teams they had the puck 70% in the other guy's zone) ---OR because he couldn't back -check well ? IF it is because he couldn't do it well (ie. his stright-line speed to recover once beaten on a transition really is not that good,OR perhaps hs lack of strength in not being able to check a guy off the puck,or perhaps bot reasons,made Kane look so fuile in those situations) --THEN you have a big concern about him playing lots of 5x5 minutes in the pros--for IFf he CAN"T improve in this aspect,THEN this weakness willbe exposed much more in the NHL than it was in jr. UNLESS he has another good team to work with to cover for him -at least initially,that cannot be the case,since he will go to a bottom feeder --ie. if the "fragile" blackhawks take him #1--who will cover for him defensively--the current Hawks are not a premium 5x5 defensive elite team,nor even as god a cast of support offensively as he had in London...therefore he willbe asked by the coaches to be defensively responsible too,or at last not a liability 5x5,unless they want him just for the PP --but if he plays only limited 5x5 minutes--then why take him in the 1st place?

The questions-ESPECIALLY for Chicago is: IF we risk his defensive liability for his offensive promise.Can we design cover for him and make it work? OR willhe learn better defense in time without hurting his offensive upside? Is his seemingly lack of "straight-line speed without the puck " real or just because he doesn't put as much energy to it as he does on attack? IS he a one dimesional player only,and if so,can we live with that?

WOTR

Jul 26, 2003
IS he a one dimesional player only,and if so,can we live with that?

No. I don't think the Blackhawks will take him if he can't learn to play complete hockey.

It is the number 1 overall. I think it is a little absurd that you assume the projected number 1 pick can't play 5x5 without being a liability.

He isn't slow, certainly not slower than Handzues who is a defensive stalwart.

The only other bias you can have is his size, which is a joke if you think size has to do with pokehecking or stealing the puck (both huge defensive skills)

I even add that although size can have an effect on the ability to crush someone or knock them off the puck, look at Karl Stewart, he spent half the season as our gritty defensive agitator. He is small, but hit big.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
No. I don't think the Blackhawks will take him if he can't learn to play complete hockey.

It is the number 1 overall. I think it is a little absurd that you assume the projected number 1 pick can't play 5x5 without being a liability.

He isn't slow, certainly not slower than Handzues who is a defensive stalwart.

The only other bias you can have is his size, which is a joke if you think size has to do with pokehecking or stealing the puck (both huge defensive skills)

I even add that although size can have an effect on the ability to crush someone or knock them off the puck, look at Karl Stewart, he spent half the season as our gritty defensive agitator. He is small, but hit big.

Handzues has a lot more size and greater reach than Kane, and yes that can help, not to mention defensive awareness. There are many small players that play physical but Kane doesn't play with that mentality.

Solid defensive play can be coached and mainly requires effort. I doubt Kane every becomes a great defensive player but I doubt its much of a factor over his career and I am very confident he'll be an offensive factor.

WOTR

Jul 26, 2003
Handzues has a lot more size and greater reach than Kane, and yes that can help, not to mention defensive awareness. There are many small players that play physical but Kane doesn't play with that mentality.

Solid defensive play can be coached and mainly requires effort. I doubt Kane every becomes a great defensive player but I doubt its much of a factor over his career and I am very confident he'll be an offensive factor.

Indeed. Zues isn't a comparison to Kane for sure. My point with mentioning Zues was how someone without speed uses other assets to define his game because someone mentioned how Kanes lack of speed would effect his ability to play defense.

Where as I think I agree with you. Defense can be learned. I also don't think Kane will ever be a defensive guru,. But certainly, whatever he has been lacking defensively, will be polished by any NHL team. And the only thing that would prevent Kane from learning is willingness. Effort will be a big factor.

Tallon drafts on willingness, so if Kane shows any signs of being unwilling to be a complete team player, we won't be seeing Tallon calling his name at the podium.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->