Sell me on Brassard

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Potential the Isles' 1st round selection in next weeks draft. I've seen him play maybe 8 or 9 times mostly on TV. Will PHX scoop him before #7? If not, why does it make sense to draft him as the next best prospect available?

Upside:

Skating is above average. Not outstanding but very good. His first step and top-gear speed are not mind numbing but very good. His lateral movement and speed when handeling the puck are top notch.

He's a highly skilled Center wlth outstanding puck control and stickhandling skills. His vision combined with his playmaking ability will really create open ice for teammates at the NHL level.

Very accurate shot.

Since he was cut from the Canadian World Junior squad, he admits that he needs to compete every shift and not take things for granted. He has become a real competitor.

Downside:

Really needs to improve his upper and lower body strength. He has indicated this is his greatest opportunity for improvement.

More quick and shifty than super fast so he can appear explosive at times.

Almost a year older than other draftees.

Last edited:

Alouette_19

Jul 21, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
bossy22 said:
Potential the Isles' 1st round selection in next weeks draft. I've seen him play maybe 8 or 9 times mostly on TV. Will PHX scoop him before #7? If not, why does it make sense to draft him as the next best prospect available?

Upside:

Skating is above average. Not outstanding but very good. His first step and top-gear speed are not mind numbing but very good. His lateral movement and speed when handeling the puck are top notch.

He's a highly skilled Center wlth outstanding puck control and stickhandling skills. His vision combined with his playmaking ability will really create open ice for teammates at the NHL level.

Very accurate shot.

Since he was cut from the Canadian World Junior squad, he admits that he needs to compete every shift and not take things for granted. He has become a real competitor.

Downside:

Really needs to improve his upper and lower body strength. He has indicated this is his greatest opportunity for improvement.

More quick and shifty than super fast so he can appear explosive at times.

Almost a year older than other draftees.

The only mistake of Sutter, this guy is awesome......he deserved to be with Team Canada but I understand they want maybe more toughness.....

For have watch Brassard this season at Drummondville, he is a real competitor against Gatineau in playoff he was the best player.....

The only question mark I have for him is the size for be a center.....but he can be a very good winger.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I love Brassard, but I like Sheppard more than him. IMO in the end Sheppard ends up better than Brassard.

KH1

Selling Bossy on Brassard

Elite playmaker, absolutely dominant in the Q. Good skater. Older than most prospects and could probably contribute in the NHL sooner than most of his peers in this draft. His greatest flaw is strength, which is a relatively easy problem to solve.

Bottom line: He's gonna be an Islander more likely than not, so learn to love him ;)

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Skating: He has excellent agility with the puck and lateral movement which is the best indicator of a guy's skating ability especially if he needs work on his lower body strength. Once his leg strength get's up to par his quickness and top speed which are now only avg will be probably greatly improve.

Strength: He needs to fill out but nobody is questioning attitude so will very likely but in the time needed. Not a real concern for me.

Scoring: He had his arm broken this year and still but up excellent numbers. Also he came back strong from the injury and almost imediately began dominating games again, which is a promising sign of just how tough a kid he is.

Your going to have to cross your fingers on this pick and hope everything turns out all right but if it does you've basically got a bigger faster Marc Savard type player.

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
I think he could be a good mix of Daniel Brière & Jason Pominville. He's the kind of guy that makes players around him better. Don't worry. This guy's gonna score everywhere he will goes and at any level he will plays.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
His skating is elite. His speed though isn't but he has the technique to improve it. I can really see him fly one day but that's not really his game.

Bégin is the bestest*

Brassard should be gone once the Islanders will draft, it would be a steal if he's still available at #7, he's better than Kessel, Toews, Mueller and maybe Backstrom.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Marc-E- said:
I think he could be a good mix of Daniel Brière & Jason Pominville. He's the kind of guy that makes players around him better. Don't worry. This guy's gonna score everywhere he will goes and at any level he will plays.

Both those players are better skaters than Brassard. His skating will need to improve alot before it's a great comparison (which it still can).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->