Sell me on Brassard

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by bossy22, Jun 17, 2006.

View Users: View Users
  1. bossy22

bossy22 Registered User

Potential the Isles' 1st round selection in next weeks draft. I've seen him play maybe 8 or 9 times mostly on TV. Will PHX scoop him before #7? If not, why does it make sense to draft him as the next best prospect available?

Upside:

Skating is above average. Not outstanding but very good. His first step and top-gear speed are not mind numbing but very good. His lateral movement and speed when handeling the puck are top notch.

He's a highly skilled Center wlth outstanding puck control and stickhandling skills. His vision combined with his playmaking ability will really create open ice for teammates at the NHL level.

Very accurate shot.

Since he was cut from the Canadian World Junior squad, he admits that he needs to compete every shift and not take things for granted. He has become a real competitor.

Downside:

Really needs to improve his upper and lower body strength. He has indicated this is his greatest opportunity for improvement.

More quick and shifty than super fast so he can appear explosive at times.

Almost a year older than other draftees.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  2. Alouette_19

Alouette_19 Registered User

Home Page:
    The only mistake of Sutter, this guy is awesome......he deserved to be with Team Canada but I understand they want maybe more toughness.....

For have watch Brassard this season at Drummondville, he is a real competitor against Gatineau in playoff he was the best player.....

The only question mark I have for him is the size for be a center.....but he can be a very good winger.

3. Russian_fanatic

Russian_fanatic Registered User

I love Brassard, but I like Sheppard more than him. IMO in the end Sheppard ends up better than Brassard.

4. BelovedIsles

BelovedIsles Registered User

Professional Islander Fan
    Hmmm...looks like there's not much selling...encouraging indeed!

5. Rahan

Rahan Registered User

Home Page:
    I could get shot for that but here's my try:

He's gonna be a Simon Gagné with better playmaking skills.

6. Wally112pac

Wally112pac Registered User

Home Page:
    He sounds a lot like Tanguay.

7. KH1

KH1 Registered User

Editor
    Home Page:
    Selling Bossy on Brassard

Elite playmaker, absolutely dominant in the Q. Good skater. Older than most prospects and could probably contribute in the NHL sooner than most of his peers in this draft. His greatest flaw is strength, which is a relatively easy problem to solve.

Bottom line: He's gonna be an Islander more likely than not, so learn to love him ;)

8. jcpenny

jcpenny Registered User

Home Page:
    "Brassard meet GYM, GYM meet Brassard..."

9. West

West Registered User

Programmer Analyst
    Home Page:
    Skating: He has excellent agility with the puck and lateral movement which is the best indicator of a guy's skating ability especially if he needs work on his lower body strength. Once his leg strength get's up to par his quickness and top speed which are now only avg will be probably greatly improve.

Strength: He needs to fill out but nobody is questioning attitude so will very likely but in the time needed. Not a real concern for me.

Scoring: He had his arm broken this year and still but up excellent numbers. Also he came back strong from the injury and almost imediately began dominating games again, which is a promising sign of just how tough a kid he is.

Your going to have to cross your fingers on this pick and hope everything turns out all right but if it does you've basically got a bigger faster Marc Savard type player.

10. Marc-E-

Marc-E- Registered User

I think he could be a good mix of Daniel Brière & Jason Pominville. He's the kind of guy that makes players around him better. Don't worry. This guy's gonna score everywhere he will goes and at any level he will plays.

11. Form and Substance

Form and Substance Registered User

His skating is elite. His speed though isn't but he has the technique to improve it. I can really see him fly one day but that's not really his game.

12. Brassard should be gone once the Islanders will draft, it would be a steal if he's still available at #7, he's better than Kessel, Toews, Mueller and maybe Backstrom.

13. West

West Registered User

Programmer Analyst
    Home Page:
    Both those players are better skaters than Brassard. His skating will need to improve alot before it's a great comparison (which it still can).