Selänne VS Räikkönen

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Selänne, AINEC. Hockey is a followed by a wide variety of people in Finland, while Formula 1 is more of a fringe sport nowadays. Mika Häkkinen was a fairly popular figure though, his popularity was comparable to hockey players.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Popular as in more well-known? Neither is more well-known than the other. They are both extremely famous and the undisputed representatives of their respective sports.

If you mean popular as in more likeable then it's definitely Selänne. Räikkönen has a lot of haters due to his somewhat arrogant personality while Selänne is very well liked by everyone.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
F1 is sort of country-wide where every Finn can support Kimi no matter which team he's driving for since people mainly support the drivers, not the teams, whereas Teemu has certain hockey teams related to him that people might dislike (Jokerit, Anaheim) on a personal level. Hard to say who's more popular of the two, but I think it's safe to say that they're in a class of their own.

Also funny how these two happen to be the exact polar opposites of each other when it comes to reputation in their respective sports.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Räikkönen obviously is more popular worldwide and most well known Finn and he is maybe the most popular driver in F1 when looking his fanbase in different GPs. His attitude is loved and hated.

I'd say in popularity they are pretty much even in Finland but Teemu is more liked.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Also funny how these two happen to be the exact polar opposites of each other when it comes to reputation in their respective sports.

And yet neither of them have any problem whatsoever to show up in humor-based ads laughing at themselves for businesses that certainly can't pay the rates you would expect a star of their caliber expect... I mean really, do they both have some friend in advertisement (?) business that they like to help out?

DNA, Makia and whatever that net shopping thingy was that bought Teemu in a special sale for their backwood league and brought in in a crate...

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
And yet neither of them have any problem whatsoever to show up in humor-based ads laughing at themselves for businesses that certainly can't pay the rates you would expect a star of their caliber expect... I mean really, do they both have some friend in advertisement (?) business that they like to help out?
Might be...though I think Kimi was a Makia fan first and then got connected with them.

Rekin

Feb 23, 2014
Warszawa
Maybe it should be Kimi vs. Olli? ;)

After all Teemu is about as old as Mika Häkkinen and as such already more of a legend.

Tissotti

Apr 30, 2011
Helsinki
Räikkönen is certainly much bigger of a global star than Selänne and both are just as known in Finland.
Though who is more popular, as in generally liked? Selänne without a doubt. Family man that's just all around nice guy. While Räikkönen is a much more polarizing character, why he also has his global fanbase in F1.

Häkkinen back in the end of 90's and start of naughties compared to Selänne would be a better comparison.

Last edited:

Kharkov

Jun 28, 2013
Yeah Selänne is more liked. Though there are some Selänne-haters, dunno why. I too have that feeling that Selänne vs Häkkinen would be more even questision. Why Häkkinen is more likable than Räikkönen?

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Why Häkkinen is more likable than Räikkönen?

I'd imagine that the fact that you can only watch F1 on paid channels anymore has something to do with that. Before the change, when Mika was still driving, many people used to watch it.

Kharkov

Jun 28, 2013
It is one thing for sure. Although I follow F1 still I must admit it (at least to me) did have more "feeling" back then when watching Mika driving. Nowadays not so much.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I'd imagine that the fact that you can only watch F1 on paid channels anymore has something to do with that. Before the change, when Mika was still driving, many people used to watch it.

They still have to show by contract at least a delayed shortened version of the qualifications and the Gran Prix on a freeview channel, MTV3 in this case, and Kimi features heavily on their Sports News too. As a Karjala-capper I would say there are much bigger chances for the ordinary people to regularly see Kimi doing some actual sportsing than Teemu, who usually features only in the morning-hours pay channel programming.

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
They are both universally known, respected and well-liked in Finland. Selänne is the golden boy and Räikkönen the rockstar, a more controversial character.

The media coverage Räikkönen gets during the F1 season is absolutely ridiculous, though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad