Injury Report: Sekera Recalled!!

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Can we bring Chia back for one more move? He got bent over trading Ebs and bought out Pouliot a year early so he could have like 18M of cap space in case of a Drai offer sheet. I wanna see what he would do with his back actually up against the wall to free up cap space to make room for Sek.

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
No one mentions this but by the 2018 world hockey championships sekera looked liked he had returned to his 16-17 form. Too bad eberle is gone. nuge, eberle and sekera were a dangerous trio in 3-3.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm probably in the minority here but we may as well just shut him down until next season. Have him skate and participate in practices. I'd rather have a 100% healthy Sekera come next October. This season is a write off anyways. Opening night I expect:

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-acquisition
Sekera-Bouchard/Jones/Persson
That's not a thing. If he is medically cleared to play you can't just, shut him down.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
No one mentions this but by the 2018 world hockey championships sekera looked liked he had returned to his 16-17 form. Too bad eberle is gone. nuge, eberle and sekera were a dangerous trio in 3-3.

Sekera was gud at the end of last season. First 20 games he was pure trash though.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Absolutely need him to, but what are the chances for an athlete in his 30s to come back after 2 major injuries in consecutive years?

Off the top of my head

Markov missed 181 games in 3 years, and returned at 33 as a 45-50 point top pairing dman.

Weber just missed almost a full season at 32.

Sami Salo had 40+ injuries in his career and was a top 4 dman well into his 30s

Not saying he will, but it does happen

Last edited:

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Seems like they used aLTI conditioning stint instead of a regular conditioning stint.

So they didn’t have to activate him yet. But if he’s healthy enough to prove he can lay down there we will need to activate him very soon in which case the team will need to be putting a couple guys on waivers or making some trades.

..."if he's healthy enough to prove he can lay down there..."

I thought we were talking about Rej not Russell!

(Sorry - just came from the 'a little humour' thread!!)

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I’m looking forward to how Sekera is next year. I think he can still be an effective guy then, but not hoping for too much this year.

Panthera

Sep 25, 2017
Man I would love for him to be able to come back and be even in the same league as what he was before he got hurt. I know it's pretty hard to fully recover after so much missed time when you're in your 30s, but on the other hand...at least he doesn't have to be all that close to his best to be one of the top defensemen on this team

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Can we bring Chia back for one more move? He got bent over trading Ebs and bought out Pouliot a year early so he could have like 18M of cap space in case of a Drai offer sheet. I wanna see what he would do with his back actually up against the wall to free up cap space to make room for Sek.

18mil for Drai:laugh: Amazing how many ppl defended that trade as logical for cap reasons. Even now you get that rationale

Reactions: Jamin

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
18mil for Drai:laugh: Amazing how many ppl defended that trade as logical for cap reasons. Even now you get that rationale

Maybe it was more like 14M, I forget, but he freed up a crazy amount of cap space for really no good reason. Drai got signed, we had something like 8M of space left, and is basically stayed like that all year. Wasted McDavid's last ELC year with, based on capfriendly, 8.6M of unused cap space. Genius. It's like we were pretending McDavid was already making 12.5M last season.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Maybe it was more like 14M, I forget, but he freed up a crazy amount of cap space for really no good reason. Drai got signed, we had something like 8M of space left, and is basically stayed like that all year. Wasted McDavid's last ELC year with, based on capfriendly, 8.6M of unused cap space. Genius. It's like we were pretending McDavid was already making 12.5M last season.

Ya I don't remember the exact #'s either. I just know I got into many a debate w/ ppl saying it was a"strategic" cap move....even tho it was the furthest thing from

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Man I would love for him to be able to come back and be even in the same league as what he was before he got hurt. I know it's pretty hard to fully recover after so much missed time when you're in your 30s, but on the other hand...at least he doesn't have to be all that close to his best to be one of the top defensemen on this team

Ya we don’t even need the #2 dman he was. If he’s a #4 who can still move the puck, we’re back to having a pretty solid defense.

It at least made sense at the time when it sounded like we were going to spend to the cap last year, with some short term players, and then have the extra cap open for Connor’s extension this year. Then we just sat on the capspace and did nothing... it became really hard to defend when we wasted the cap flexibility

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016

Ya I don't remember the exact #'s either. I just know I got into many a debate w/ ppl saying it was a"strategic" cap move....even tho it was the furthest thing from

$6,400,000 or somewhere abouts comes to mind.

I think player bonuses were a factor on not spending it. I think Chiarelli should have spent it and dealt with the overage penalties this year. The team desperately need a replacement for Sekera. And not doing so sealed the teams fate.

After the World Cup of Hockey tournament and the playoffs the team might have been pretty gassed and lead to the team struggling last season. Idk, would have really helped to have a good extra defender to slot in for Sekera.

Nice cap management Chiarelli ..|..

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Excellent. I don't think we'll ever see the 2016-17 Sekera ever again, but if he's even half that player, he's still a top 4 guy on this team

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Andrei Markov back then got hit with a lot of injuries but he eventually came back to be just as good. He was also ~32 when all his injuries occurred. Crossing my fingers Sekera comes back and plays at a high level. He was a great D man.

Inserting a healthy Klefbom and Sekera is like having 2 massive trade deadline boosts, hopefully it sparks the team

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Crazy to think that if Sekera comes back healthy and Klef finally isn’t broken that we actually could have a good D lineup.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Ya we don’t even need the #2 dman he was. If he’s a #4 who can still move the puck, we’re back to having a pretty solid defense.

It at least made sense at the time when it sounded like we were going to spend to the cap last year, with some short term players, and then have the extra cap open for Connor’s extension this year. Then we just sat on the capspace and did nothing... it became really hard to defend when we wasted the cap flexibility

It made no sense. It never made sense. Even when that dumb F came out and tried to justify it, saying it was a move to free up cap for an "offersheet" that rarely happen, but the cap was fine that year anyways

Eberle was a proven 60 point player at the time, so where were they going to spend this extra cap? In FA,? To get another 60 point player?

The only ppl it made sense to was the faithful who wanted to run Ebs outta town, and by some misguided/blind logic, felt his secondary scoring(not to forget his corsi and ability to create prime scoring chances) was gonna be easily replaced w/ a few mediocre players peppered in

Here you have a market that nobody wants to be in, and we trade away a player that produces w/ multiple centers and on the 2nd pp. It was ioditic. Especially when the moron telling us it was a strategic cap move planning for years ahead, yet that moron is arguably the worst capologist in the history of the game

If the cap was tight that year..it made sense. If they actually had a realistic FA it made sense.

Losing him a year prior w/ no plan and a terrible excuse such as an "offersheet", months prior, dictating to the world, and more specifically his agent, the bank is open for business, no sense whatsoever

Last edited:

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
That's not a thing. If he is medically cleared to play you can't just, shut him down.

Coach can choose to not dress him and to have him in a non contact jersey the rest of the year.

Oilers would be wise to let him stay in Bakersfield for the full conditioning stint but they want playoffs so I wouldn't be surprised if he's rushed back if he looks strong this weekend.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Coach can choose to not dress him and to have him in a non contact jersey the rest of the year.

Oilers would be wise to let him stay in Bakersfield for the full conditioning stint but they want playoffs so I wouldn't be surprised if he's rushed back if he looks strong this weekend.
I think they will put the ball in Sekera’s court.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->