TV: Seinfeld will be on Netflix

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Netflix will be throwing a lot of money around now that they are losing everything Disney and Fox and...all the rest

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This is great news! Now pick up the rights to Buffy the Vampire Slayer as well.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Yeah those heavily syndicated comedy series like Seinfeld, The Office, and Friends are killer. Just so much replay value that a lot of different people can get out of those.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Great addition.

It's gonna suck to see the office gone though. Dwight schrute is a beauty.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
The widescreen cut episodes that hit syndication in the past couple years are amazing. It’s like the show was filmed this decade. Aside from the awesome 90s wardrobe.

Zeppo

Sep 8, 2006
The widescreen cut episodes that hit syndication in the past couple years are amazing. It’s like the show was filmed this decade. Aside from the awesome 90s wardrobe.
Really? I'm still on the old DVDs because of the poor transfer to widescreen. I get that the picture quality is a lot better, obviously, but I wish they'd just upgrade that and keep the original format instead of butchering the image for widescreen. That said, I haven't actually seen Seinfeld in widescreen, I'm just going by this video and the similarly poor transfers of other shows.

It annoys the hell out of me, but I'm apparently in a very confused minority.

Reactions: Beau Knows

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
The show was intended to be shown at 4:3. The widescreen doesn't really add anything meaningful to it.

A lot of the dvds I bought of tv series years ago seems like wasted money today considering what's available on streaming services. But the Seinfeld ones had lots of commentaries, features and easter eggs to make the sets worth keeping.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Really? I'm still on the old DVDs because of the poor transfer to widescreen. I get that the picture quality is a lot better, obviously, but I wish they'd just upgrade that and keep the original format instead of butchering the image for widescreen. That said, I haven't actually seen Seinfeld in widescreen, I'm just going by this video and the similarly poor transfers of other shows.

It annoys the hell out of me, but I'm apparently in a very confused minority.

I own the series in a 4:3 leather book edition which I cherish, but I find that the increase in definition and the improvement in most zoomed out scenes more than makes up for the claustrophobic effect in some zoomed-in scenes. Most of those are hallway scenes that are, well, claustrophobic to begin with.

What I do find funny is the assumption by film students that the public are unthinking consumers that simply want their screens full. The episodes often “breathe” much better in HD, and the colours pop beautifully due to the remastering. I would never replace my 4:3 copies with the new 16:9 versions, but I’d gladly supplement them.

If you want to see an outright destruction via 16:9 cropping, check out The Simpsons. Absolutely horrific.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I own the series in a 4:3 leather book edition which I cherish, but I find that the increase in definition and the improvement in most zoomed out scenes more than makes up for the claustrophobic effect in some zoomed-in scenes. Most of those are hallway scenes that are, well, claustrophobic to begin with.

What I do find funny is the assumption by film students that the public are unthinking consumers that simply want their screens full. The episodes often “breathe” much better in HD, and the colours pop beautifully due to the remastering. I would never replace my 4:3 copies with the new 16:9 versions, but I’d gladly supplement them.

If you want to see an outright destruction via 16:9 cropping, check out The Simpsons. Absolutely horrific.
I honestly never saw an improvement from abandoning 4:3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad