Confirmed with Link: Seidenberg extended 4yrs/16m

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I like Seids but not sure what PC is doing. Especially the NTC is mind numbing

Bartowski is ready to play. Not as strong defensively but definitely brings more to the table in terms of skating and offensive capabilities.
That may be true but when it comes to defensive capabilities, Bart isn't in Seidenberg league,just yet.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
People tend to overvalue Seidenberg slightly and undervalue Boychuk slightly, IMO.

Hopefully, if he goes, it's somewhere out West.

Dude, if it comes down to Boychuk leaving (I kinda get the feeling it will), I won't be happy about it. I just don't think one can justify paying him more than Seids for the roles both are expected to play in this lineup.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 31s
Seidenberg extension in Boston. 4 years, $16 million. No-trade clause included. #TSN

Fantastic. Fantastic. Fantastic news. :handclap::cheers:

:phew:

Who's getting traded down the road? Gotta think it's JB.

He deserves to be a 1-2 somewhere else and get paid for it. Move'n on...Move'n up. We better be well compensated.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Fantastic. Fantastic. Fantastic news. :handclap::cheers:

:phew:

Who's getting traded down the road? Gotta think it's JB.

He deserves to be a 1-2 somewhere else and get paid for it. Move'n on...Move'n up. We better be well compensated.

Probably let McQuaid walk if the kids don't take the spot from Boyhchuk, far easier to replace a 15 minute a night guy than it is to replace a 21+minute a night guy.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Chia : Dennis, lets talk contract.
Dennis : Sure
Chia : You can probably get 5 to 6 mill out on the open market from some team like Fla,
or North Carolina. Remember what it was like playing for them?
Dennis : 5 to 6 is nice, but playing for them was like playing in hell. What can you offer?
Chia: How about 4 mill for 4 years, on a stacked team, that has the core signed for several more years, and players like to play here and come here.
Dennis: Where do I sign.

Those who think he is aging, who isn't ?

Those who think he is old, how old are you ? I'm betting 24 and under.

Dennis: I hear what you're saying, Chia...Pretty good pitch...I'm on-board, but if you want a discount, I'm going to have to get a NTC.

Chia: That's hardly ever a problem with me, Dennis. I'll always take the discount.

Dennis: What a relief. Happy to be here. Hand me the pen.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Probably let McQuaid walk if the kids don't take the spot from Boyhchuk, far easier to replace a 15 minute a night guy than it is to replace a 21+minute a night guy.

I think Bart can do it. I was ready to trade JB for a top ten pick at the draft, if we could get it. That's what I think of the kid.

JB has the most value on the market. I wouldn't mind going real young, real talented in exchange for Boychuk. Pay it forward.

I know few have the kind of faith in Bart I do at this time...I just see a younger, less stout, Seidenberg-in-the-making. I expect him to only get better.

Last edited:

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I really like Seidenberg's game, but he as been fading offensively for a couple of years now...and he has lots of mileage on his tires. Don't hate the deal the more I think about it though.
.He is supremely fit, so that might by him an extra year of effectiveness but I don't like the deal. I do not hate it because he is a solid player, person and known quantity but at worst it buys Chia time to replace him I guess.

Yeah, 5 years is plenty of time to find a replacement. :laugh:

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Maybe, but McQ makes less than half of what JB does. I'd love to keep JB in our top four if at all possible.

Talk about a great contract! Look at the guys that make the pennies that McQuaid makes. It's laughable. ...and McQuaid is under contract, at that steal of a deal, for a good period, if I remember correctly...It's hard to find that kind of value/quality combination...and it's priceless to your overall cap...

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I think this is a good deal-he could have gotten lots more from teams in need of more defense.

My guess is he wanted to stay and the NTC was to get a lower hit. Any word on whether it is a full or limited? Chia does need to be careful with those.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I really like Seidenberg's game, but he as been fading offensively for a couple of years now...and he has lots of mileage on his tires. Don't hate the deal the more I think about it though.
.He is supremely fit, so that might by him an extra year of effectiveness but I don't like the deal. I do not hate it because he is a solid player, person and known quantity but at worst it buys Chia time to replace him I guess.

Also with the kids coming up-coaches may be able to lower his minutes-the man can easil eat 30 minutes-if they shift him to fewer minutes he may be more effective. IMO he still has some good years left.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
How do you feel about it now?

It's a great deal. I still worry that it might mean the (eventual) end for Boychuk in Boston, but I guess if that happens it will be because Hamilton has become all Johnny Boychuk is and more.

EDIT: Maybe not...

I'm assuming the B's don't want to spend $3m on a third pair defender when Adam McQuaid does the job well and has such an affordable contract. BUT, maybe they think Boychuk could sort of be what Andy Ference was? Let me explain... When Ference signed his deal, folks were outraged that PC was willing to spend $2.5m on a guy who spent most of his time in the third pairing. But over the course of that contract, Andy showed he was much more than a 3rd pair guy, he stepped up in the playoffs and showed he was capable of playing top4 minutes when needed. Point is, the B's were willing to pay 2nd pair money to have an overqualified 3rd pair defenseman. So, if they were willing to spend $2.5 on a $60m cap for Ference, maybe they're willing to spend $3.3 on a $70m cap for Boychuk?

Last edited:

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Love the signing. Would have probably preferred one less year but you really can't complain about this

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
It's a great deal. I still worry that it might mean the (eventual) end for Boychuk in Boston, but I guess if that happens it will be because Hamilton has become all Johnny Boychuk is and more.

I'm assuming the B's don't want to spend $3m on a third pair defender when Adam McQuaid does the job well and has such an affordable contract. BUT, maybe they think Boychuk could sort of be what Andy Ference was? Let me explain... When Ference signed his deal, folks were outraged that PC was willing to spend $2.5m on a guy who spent most of his time in the third pairing. But over the course of that contract, Andy showed he was much more than a 3rd pair guy, he stepped up in the playoffs and showed he was capable of playing top4 minutes when needed. Point is, the B's were willing to pay 2nd pair money to have an overqualified 3rd pair defenseman. So, if they were willing to spend $2.5 on a $60m cap for Ference, maybe they're willing to spend $3.3 on a $70m cap for Boychuk?

I think what helps the B's here is the drop off in salary between Chara and the rest of our D.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Dude, if it comes down to Boychuk leaving (I kinda get the feeling it will), I won't be happy about it. I just don't think one can justify paying him more than Seids for the roles both are expected to play in this lineup.

Agreed, I don`t think anyone here wants to see JB move, or anyone whom we have made a connection with during this time as a Bruins fan. I love JB, but at the end of the day, I think it`s clear that Chia and Co view Seids as a guy that is needed and I have no issues with the deal, nor the length, and if not mistaken, the NT moves to partial NT in the last year and a half?? Hardly handcuffing if his game tails off.

Too many worry about the cap here (funny, not our money;)), or the NTC (yeah, never seen anyone traded/moved with one in place:shakehead) or the length of term, yet, from the coach to the GM, there appears to be absolutely little concern about either.....think I`m gonna trust their judgement

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
This is great news, what an amazing contract; I thought he was going to get 5 million or more per year.
And I don't think this necessarily means the end of Johnny Boychuk, with both guys being under contract, it gives the B's another year to see what they have with their kids and then look at options closer to the deadline, or beyond. Nice to have options.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Agreed, I don`t think anyone here wants to see JB move, or anyone whom we have made a connection with during this time as a Bruins fan. I love JB, but at the end of the day, I think it`s clear that Chia and Co view Seids as a guy that is needed and I have no issues with the deal, nor the length, and if not mistaken, the NT moves to partial NT in the last year and a half?? Hardly handcuffing if his game tails off.

Too many worry about the cap here (funny, not our money;)), or the NTC (yeah, never seen anyone traded/moved with one in place:shakehead) or the length of term, yet, from the coach to the GM, there appears to be absolutely little concern about either.....think I`m gonna trust their judgement

Speaking only for myself, when I express cap concerns it has nothing to do with whether it's our money being spent or not...They spend to the cap, so it's all being spent. The topic is how it's being spent and distributed, and on which players.

In other words, if they spend un-wisely, they could end up with a top-heavy team, as opposed to the deep team we've all come to know and love!

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
perhaps the strongest person on the team, and would fetch over 5mill open market.
As said here before, in 2 years that contract will be ludicrous.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
This is great news, what an amazing contract; I thought he was going to get 5 million or more per year.
And I don't think this necessarily means the end of Johnny Boychuk, with both guys being under contract, it gives the B's another year to see what they have with their kids and then look at options closer to the deadline, or beyond. Nice to have options.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself but if the team needs to address any needs at the deadline it is going to be really difficult with our current cap situation. Trading away a piece with some Salary like Boychuk could return something with some salary. Not that I want to trade JB by any means but I'm not sure what our other options would be.

Love the the Dennis deal. Could have got a lot more money on the open market.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
That may be true but when it comes to defensive capabilities, Bart isn't in Seidenberg league,just yet.

bart is way to valubale offensivly to not have in there. The outlet passes were very avg yesterday. I hope he get the nod in game 2 and we will see the difference. I bet Hamilton sits...

EspositoScoresOTR

Jul 4, 2013
Somerville, MA
Such a steal, way below market value. I was convinced they'd need to move on based on what Seids is worth if he went to free agency. Of course I'd rather not have the NTC, but this deal is incredibly cap friendly and will only get better as the cap goes up in the next few years. I love that the bruins D is getting more offensive minded, but I love that they can continue to pair Seids and Chara with those young defensemen.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I don't think Boychuk at $3.3M/yr is an option, Bill. He's making more than that now.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I don't think Boychuk at $3.3M/yr is an option, Bill. He's making more than that now.

JB has really grown on me, but I agree with you MMB. With the young guys that are already NHL ready, and players like Trotman and Morrow potentially ready soon, someone has for to go. By signing Sides to a 4 yr deal with an NTC, I think Boychuk is likely the guy. If Hamilton continues to grow and is what the B's think he is, JB becomes expendable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->