Speculation: Seguin v. Panarin

Seguin or Panarin

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Copenhagen91

Jan 28, 2016
Panarin, 30, 31, 27 (with CBJ last year)
Seguin since he has been in the league:
BOS 11,39,16 (48 game schedule, translates to 27)
DAL 37,33,26,40
Seguin scored the equivalent of 77 goals in his first three seasons and 136 since.
AP scored 88 in his first three years and time will tell.

I still take Seguin. Surprisingly, he is a bit younger than AP despite his longer resume.

I think if somehow the Stars got AP and lost Seguin, they would be disappointed, but he is sure a great addition (if we can have both this year) and not a bad replacement. He probably has more highlight reel goals than Tyler
Comparing their first 3 seasons is kind of a joke. Seguin came into the league at 19. Panarin came into the league at 24/25.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Some reasons why I'd prefer Panarin:

We know he can carry a line with pretty much anyone.
Top 1% player league-wide in takeaways, successful zone exits and entries. Datsyukian-like in some ways.
Has the late bloomer intrigue - I could see him potting 100 points.
Seguin has had character issues in the past (maybe they're over with at this point).

Reactions: Taylorst

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Sequin's character issues existed only in the minds of Bruins management, who made that sorry tape to "justify" their decision.

Besides the so called partying, the big bitch was not playing D, but Hitch turned him into Modano 2 last year, which helps his value. playing D wihle scoring 40 is pretty Datsyukian-like itself.

That said, the differences between the two would rank among the more silly arguments here. Both are great. Not into nit picking.

Actually, Stars need both on their team to up their talent level to NSH or WPG in the Central. AP makes a lot more sense than Patches, EK, etc.

Reactions: BeastMode

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Panarin, 30, 31, 27 (with CBJ last year)
Seguin since he has been in the league:
BOS 11,39,16 (48 game schedule, translates to 27)
DAL 37,33,26,40
Seguin scored the equivalent of 77 goals in his first three seasons and 136 since.
AP scored 88 in his first three years and time will tell.

I still take Seguin. Surprisingly, he is a bit younger than AP despite his longer resume.

I think if somehow the Stars got AP and lost Seguin, they would be disappointed, but he is sure a great addition (if we can have both this year) and not a bad replacement. He probably has more highlight reel goals than Tyler

Your comparison is hilarious, your trying to say the guy avg x y z . PANARIN is going into his 4th year and in comparison Seguin didn't produce 89 point season in his first 3 years ? If PANARIN was still playing with Kane he and Kane would both have 100 plus point seasons in fact Kane had 100 plus points which tells you how important PANARIN is. He is a Game breaker , Seguin as good as he is when you really compare the 2 he doesn't come close . Seguin will never be that game breaker like PANARIN.

Seguin had his chance in Boston and I'm sure Boston wouldn't trade someone who can net you 30 plus goals a season considering they needed goal scoring? I do believe he had character issues .

That's something any team should keep in mind when pursuing a guy .

PANARIN I had the chance to watch him play in Chicago for 2 years and this kid is hands down from day 1 a electrify player who can break open a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: o6mopok

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Panarin for teams stacked at C (Pitt,Fla,Tor)
Seguin for teams like Carolina or Montreal.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Completely depends on the teams need imo. For example Tor would most likely have more interest in Panarin and Someone like Jets or Habs would prob pick Seguin

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Only reason you go after Panarin over Seguin is if you are set in an elite way at C already. Teams like Toronto, Pitt, or a team that isnt competing yet and wants the kids to take over like Buffalo with Mitts and Eichel. Other than that you would be a fool to not target Seguin becasue he is the better player and plays a more important position.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Only reason you go after Panarin over Seguin is if you are set in an elite way at C already. Teams like Toronto, Pitt, or a team that isnt competing yet and wants the kids to take over like Buffalo with Mitts and Eichel. Other than that you would be a fool to not target Seguin becasue he is the better player and plays a more important position.
The bolded is... highly debatable.

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
For the Flyers, I would go after Seguin. As a franchise, we like steady and dependable. Of course, the thought of watching Panarin's creativity is very enticing. Which brings me to the Rangers. They need to sell those expensive MSG seats. Panarin is their guy.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Your comparison is hilarious, your trying to say the guy avg x y z . PANARIN is going into his 4th year and in comparison Seguin didn't produce 89 point season in his first 3 years ? If PANARIN was still playing with Kane he and Kane would both have 100 plus point seasons in fact Kane had 100 plus points which tells you how important PANARIN is. He is a Game breaker , Seguin as good as he is when you really compare the 2 he doesn't come close . Seguin will never be that game breaker like PANARIN.

Seguin had his chance in Boston and I'm sure Boston wouldn't trade someone who can net you 30 plus goals a season considering they needed goal scoring? I do believe he had character issues .

That's something any team should keep in mind when pursuing a guy .

PANARIN I had the chance to watch him play in Chicago for 2 years and this kid is hands down from day 1 a electrify player who can break open a game.

Nothing hilarious about math, you infer the hilarity. Both have great numbers. As some have said, it might depend on team need. You are entitled to your opinion and it sure has some justification but no need for a demeaning post when the two are legitimately so close. It's not like I compared some goon to a goal scorer.

I do know that many teams favor more rounded players over one who just score goals. In Dallas, Benn is considered more valuable than Seguin for example. So it can be viewed many ways.

Will admit I probably only seen him play once for Columbus.

Last edited:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
PANARIN by far is the better player. His rookie year he scored 30 goals and had 89 points and has consistently put up those numbers each and every year. Seguin is a good player but he has just recently over the past few years put up good numbers.

PANARIN is also a game breaker and he is clearly a 100 point plus guy . It's a shame after 2 years Chicago traded him if he was still here you'd see him and Kane each with a 100 points.

But he is still,producing at a insane level for not having the same quality of players on his line. That shows he is the better player.

Panarin was 24 as a rookie, and put up 77 pts, not 89.

Seguin was a 19 yr old rookie who played 12 mins a night on a cup winning team.

In the last 3 seasons, Panarin's only in the NHL, both guys have been 24-26 yrs old.

Panarin 243 games, 88 goals, 233 points

Seguin 236 games, 99 goals, 223 points.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Seguin if he has matured off ice. For the Oilers he would be an elite sniping RW for McDavid or Draisaitl.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
PANARIN by far is the better player. His rookie year he scored 30 goals and had 89 points and has consistently put up those numbers each and every year. Seguin is a good player but he has just recently over the past few years put up good numbers.

PANARIN is also a game breaker and he is clearly a 100 point plus guy . It's a shame after 2 years Chicago traded him if he was still here you'd see him and Kane each with a 100 points.

But he is still,producing at a insane level for not having the same quality of players on his line. That shows he is the better player.

Panarin never hit 89 points, let alone in his first season. Not sure where you're getting your numbers from. I doubt he hits 100 points last season playing with the Hawks.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
"Kind of" stacked, Seguin would be the best player on that team hands down.

You missed their point. Stacked at center didn't mean they have the 3 best centers in the league and Seguin wouldn't be an upgrade over any of them. It meant they're covered down the middle with top talent and could use an elite winger more than an elite center.

Last edited:
Reactions: BatVader

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
You missed their point. Stacked at center didn't mean they have the 3 best centers in the league and Sequin wouldn't be an upgrade over any of them. It meant they're covered down the middle with top talent and could use an elite winger more than an elite center.
...and/or focus on fixing the defense.
If the leafs are going to spend that much on another player, regardless of if they can or not, then shouldn’t they focus on an Erik Karlsson over a Tyler Seguin.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
You missed their point. Stacked at center didn't mean they have the 3 best centers in the league and Sequin wouldn't be an upgrade over any of them. It meant they're covered down the middle with top talent and could use an elite winger more than an elite center.
If you are going to sit there and say Seguin would not be an upgrade over Kadri you shouldn't be watching hockey. He would be an upgrade over Tavares and Matthews. Prove me wrong, ill wait.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If you are going to sit there and say Seguin would not be an upgrade over Kadri you shouldn't be watching hockey. He would be an upgrade over Tavares and Matthews. Prove me wrong, ill wait.
If you're going to sit there and pretend that's what I said, or what the poster you originally responded to said, you shouldn't be reading hockey forums. Keep waiting, I guess, because what's being said isn't what you're saying.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Seguin but basically only because the OP didn't ask who was better but who would be more sought after. Being a top 20 C makes Seguin the easy choice here even though Panarin is a better all around player in my mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad