Value of: Seguin Trade

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I don't think him being in the last year of his contract on it's own means there is a big chance he won't sign.

But hasn't he made comments about wanting to test the market or am I mistaken?

It seems, if Seguin might test FA and Karlsson seems very interested in doing so, and Tavares did this year, that big time players might be entering a phase where they are more willing to run contracts down and try to cash in on the open market.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Very true. If Dallas’s back is against the wall and they absolutely have to trade Seguin, they will try for a young elite player with draft picks.

That being said, Dallas is not going to get high draft picks from Winnipeg. They are way too good and most likely go deep into the playoffs again. Would you trade Laine for Seguin?
No, not even if both were signed to $9mx8years. Jets have a 1C already, if they went after Seguin it would be purely a luxury, absolutely no need to dissect their team for it. I also don’t think swapping the best pure goal scorer since Ovi at 20yo for a top 10 center in the league makes a lick of sense.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Well if he is traded come the deadline then get ready to offer 2 1st's, NHL ready prospect and top 6 roster player.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If he does leave its not like he's chasing a cup. He won in his rookie year which almost never happens. If Dallas does end up trading him I hope he goes to Winnipeg. I would love to see them go deep again.

Wining the cup as a part time 3rd liner very different than as an All Star. I’m also sure he misses winning. If he was willing to come back (and Sweeney was very against the trade) I imagine Boston would be all over it.

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
There is no way Trouba gets you anywhere near Seguin. Dallas would laugh.

There are 30 other GM’s in the NHL that would offer much better.
I never said just Trouba

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Yes, lots of team would be interested in Seguin if they can sign him to a long term deal

I was just commenting to the ability to get a lottery pick at the TDL. That's all.

If he is willing to sign a long term deal with a non contender, I am pretty sure Dallas can get the lottery pick+ for him and it doesnt have to be at the trade deadline.

Understood - no worries.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
If Dallas was willing to deal with Nashville and an extension can be made, maybe something around Turris, Fiala, smith, and maybe a 2nd/3rd?
Gonna cost more than that especially with a division team. It start and ends with Josi IMO.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
But hasn't he made comments about wanting to test the market or am I mistaken?

Not really. He keeps talking about wanting to win. He wants to win in Dallas. Etcetera and so forth. He hasn't signed but he hasn't come out and said he wants to test the market. They definitely need to get him signed by like Thanksgiving if there's any chance of him staying IMO.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'm 50/50 on what Seguin does. If he leaves I see him going to the Blues in free agency. Him and Tarasenko together would be awesome.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
O yes you are right. Dallas should trade a #1 Dman on a really cheap contract for several years for peanuts. Edmonton has give something valuable if they want Klingberg. Draisaitl has to involved if you want a #1 Defensman.

He's right tho, calm down Homer

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I doubt Seguin leaves Dallas. He has a bromance with Benn.

IF he does leave, his trade value would be a lot! He is a legit C. If he goes to UFA he will easily get $8M +.

Could you imagine if he comes home to Toronto.

Matthews
Tavares
Seguin
Kadri

Good god!

LOL Seguin is on par with Tavares and he took a pay cut down to 11M in the UFA market to sign with Toronto. Is Seguin goes UFA he gets 11M if he wants a contender or 13M if he wants money

Reactions: KirkW

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
As much as I’d love to get a huge return for Seguin if we are trading him it means he doesn’t want to re-sign with us. In which case I think the return would look something like a 2019 1st, top 3-5 prospect on that team, young roster player, and a 2020 2nd. Sucks but GM’s don’t want to give up massive pieces for a player that will likely walk in the summer.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Am I the only one who finds this ask for Seguin is kinda funny after pretty much every Stars fan scoffed at the mere suggestion of Heiskanen being involved in a deal for Erik Karlsson?
I dont expect a Heiskanen level prospect in a Seguin trade but I would expect a very good one. To there are 3 drafted prospect equal or more valued than Heiskanen. Those 3 are Dahlin, Svech, Petersson. The reason Dallas doesnt want to move Heiskanen for Karlsson is because they think he is on a level above just about every other prospect. If our top prospect wasnt Heiskanen level I would have 0 problem adding that player for a Karlsson trade.

So no I wouldnt expect Vancouver to trade us Petersson for Seguin (age doesnt make sense for Van anyways) but I would expect prospects on the level of Vilardi and Frost to be made available for a Seguin trade

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I'd need a better 1D coming back if the cost is Draisaitl. Klingberg is a fine player, but he'said not very strong on D.
I see you are from the school of thought where Dmen automatically suck at defending as soon as they score a lot... I know its hard to accept but Klingberg is very good in his own end. Sure he is better on the offensive side of things and isnt Doughty in his own end but he is still very good in his own end

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
To be honest I can see him going to Montreal either in a trade then sign situation or in free agency.

Could see Montreal giving him 14m a year to finally get that legit #1 center.
Seguin would never go to Montreal especially with Claude still the coach there, they did not get along very well in Boston.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Seguin is better than Panarin so Columbus adds.
Yeah but the question is, how much better?

Panarin is a PPG player who is almost as good defensively as he is on offense. I'd offer picks and Prospects but not much else.

Reactions: Fro

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Yeah but the question is, how much better?

Panarin is a PPG player who is almost as good defensively as he is on offense. I'd offer picks and Prospects but not much else.
Picks/Prospects would be fine. It's not like Seguin is far and away better than Panarin so it would take much of an add from Columbus.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Mar 26, 2010
LOL Seguin is on par with Tavares and he took a pay cut down to 11M in the UFA market to sign with Toronto. Is Seguin goes UFA he gets 11M if he wants a contender or 13M if he wants money
I would agree. That is why I had the +.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad