Value of: Seguin Trade

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Fair post. A stud #1 C always has way more value than a winger. That is a fact.

Seguin is one the premiere C in the NHL today. I am sure there are a line up of GM's willing to pay him $10M AAV. I just don't see a deal with Trouba (#2-3 D man) being the center piece coming from Winnipeg that would entice Dallas to go for it. Seguin would command a PK Subban D man return. He is that good!
Genuinely curious if bringing in a PK Subban type makes sense for Dallas at this point. If anything, I would think they’d want multiple younger pieces to build around the upcoming wave of prospects they have in the pipeline.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Before I put down a proposal, I will say that I doubt Seguin leaves Dallas, but I do believe he plays on three teams for low money before retiring like NYR, Toronto and a team I least expect for him to sign with but for now I'll just say Columbus.

Hypothetically speaking, any team I see interested in bringing in Tyler Seguin, I would probably think Calgary, St. Louis, Philadelphia, NYR or Columbus would be super interested in not only wanting him but also need him, heck maybe even Vegas. But for now I'll say the Flames because they're heading down a road of contention, but we'll just pretend they signed Tkachuk to a good contract extension.

Calgary:
Tyler Seguin

Dallas:
1st 2019
1st 2020
2nd 2019
2nd 2020
Sam Bennett
Mikael Frolik
Michael Stone

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Seguin-Lindholm

Winnipeg might bring him in as a rental because the Jets not only have the assets to acquire him, but they're interested in contending and Seguin walking away from Winnipeg won't even hurt.
Monohan isn't better than Seguin lolz. Tyler would instantly be 1c for the Flames.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
O yes you are right. Dallas should trade a #1 Dman on a really cheap contract for several years for peanuts. Edmonton has give something valuable if they want Klingberg. Draisaitl has to involved if you want a #1 Defensman.

I'd need a better 1D coming back if the cost is Draisaitl. Klingberg is a fine player, but he'said not very strong on D.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think it’s somewhere in the middle. I don’t think it makes much sense for Dallas to take on two players who could potentially walk at the end of the season.

Maybe a Seguin (unsigned)+Dellandrea for Trouba (unsigned)+Connor/Roslovic+1st makes sense? As of today there’s much more value for Connor after his 31 goal rookie season. But, centers are naturally more valuable and underlying numbers suggest Roslovic could be the better player. Some believe Connor was partially gifted such a great rookie season by playing with Scheifele and Wheeler, although its hard to dispute he has some talent. If, as projected, Roslovic performs on the same level as Connor by the trade deadline, I’d happily include him in the package instead given the premium on C’s over wingers.

Trade values aside......these two central teams will not do any big trades with each other........any Seguin trade would be massive thus a virtual impossibility between them. Not to mention the cap impacts would be huge on the Jets (Seguin would want a huge raise at year end).

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Lots of teams could potentially be interested. I'd wonder about Carolina, at least from the perspective that they need a 1C. Don't know what they are doing though these days.

Yes, lots of team would be interested in Seguin if they can sign him to a long term deal

I was just commenting to the ability to get a lottery pick at the TDL. That's all.

If he is willing to sign a long term deal with a non contender, I am pretty sure Dallas can get the lottery pick+ for him and it doesnt have to be at the trade deadline.

Mar 26, 2010
Genuinely curious if bringing in a PK Subban type makes sense for Dallas at this point. If anything, I would think they’d want multiple younger pieces to build around the upcoming wave of prospects they have in the pipeline.
Pk is 29 yo, but still has some good years left in him with 4 years left on his contract. That puts him at 33 when it expires. He is a legit stud #1 D.

Seguin in only 26, I would think if he is going to Winnipeg... it will take Laine going back to Dallas. Also, would Seguin even sign an extension there?

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
That would be pretty amazing, and honestly I could see it if the Isles have a successful season and they get the arena figured out.
The arena is figured out but it would be perfect sence of Justice for feeling dragged to free agency and ultimately betrayed by a former potential all time great

Also seguin fits the modern nhl more than Tavares does

Reactions: Snowman

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
To be honest I can see him going to Montreal either in a trade then sign situation or in free agency.

Could see Montreal giving him 14m a year to finally get that legit #1 center.

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
Pk is 29 yo, but still has some good years left in him with 4 years left on his contract. That puts him at 33 when it expires. He is a legit stud #1 D.

Seguin in only 26, I would think if he is going to Winnipeg... it will take Laine going back to Dallas. Also, would Seguin even sign an extension there?
The only core piece involved in this trade would be Trouba

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB

That’s fair about Subban’s contract and its value... but I still think if their hand is forced and they choose to deal him rather than get hosed come FA, Dallas’ whole game plan goes south and it wouldn’t make sense to pick up assets for now. Go for emerging players around 20-22 yo, and high draft picks if your alternative is aging assets (who, although good) don’t have the supporting cast to make much of a difference on their own.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
In his most recent interview Jim Nill made it sound like Seguin wants to test the open market if the Stars struggle this season. Nill even said he'd be okay with it because the Stars are a "good team" even without him. Lmao he is out of his mind.
I also read something like "If he's not signed by the start of the season, fans shouldn't be worried" and "we still will have a good year from him". Kinda eh?

Mar 26, 2010
The only core piece involved in this trade would be Trouba
There is no way Trouba gets you anywhere near Seguin. Dallas would laugh.

There are 30 other GM’s in the NHL that would offer much better.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
There is no way Trouba gets you anywhere near Seguin. Dallas would laugh.

There are 30 other GM’s in the NHL that would offer much better.
Are you talking about signed Seguin or 1 year rental?

Mar 26, 2010
That’s fair about Subban’s contract and its value... but I still think if their hand is forced and they choose to deal him rather than get hosed come FA, Dallas’ whole game plan goes south and it wouldn’t make sense to pick up assets for now. Go for emerging players around 20-22 yo, and high draft picks if your alternative is aging assets (who, although good) don’t have the supporting cast to make much of a difference on their own.
Very true. If Dallas’s back is against the wall and they absolutely have to trade Seguin, they will try for a young elite player with draft picks.

That being said, Dallas is not going to get high draft picks from Winnipeg. They are way too good and most likely go deep into the playoffs again. Would you trade Laine for Seguin?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Before I put down a proposal, I will say that I doubt Seguin leaves Dallas, but I do believe he plays on three teams for low money before retiring like NYR, Toronto and a team I least expect for him to sign with but for now I'll just say Columbus.

Hypothetically speaking, any team I see interested in bringing in Tyler Seguin, I would probably think Calgary, St. Louis, Philadelphia, NYR or Columbus would be super interested in not only wanting him but also need him, heck maybe even Vegas. But for now I'll say the Flames because they're heading down a road of contention, but we'll just pretend they signed Tkachuk to a good contract extension.

Calgary:
Tyler Seguin

Dallas:
1st 2019
1st 2020
2nd 2019
2nd 2020
Sam Bennett
Mikael Frolik
Michael Stone

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Seguin-Lindholm

Winnipeg might bring him in as a rental because the Jets not only have the assets to acquire him, but they're interested in contending and Seguin walking away from Winnipeg won't even hurt.

Oof that's steep. If he resigns it's absolutely worth it.... otherwise I'd probably take out one first or both seconds.

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
If Dallas was willing to deal with Nashville and an extension can be made, maybe something around Turris, Fiala, smith, and maybe a 2nd/3rd?

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
I'd need a better 1D coming back if the cost is Draisaitl. Klingberg is a fine player, but he'said not very strong on D.
Well this would never happen. But I am willing to bet your GM would trade Draisaitl for a top 10 NHL defensemen. Klingberg is a top 10. But that is why you won’t get that coveted defenseman you need.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Well this would never happen. But I am willing to bet your GM would trade Draisaitl for a top 10 NHL defensemen. Klingberg is a top 10. But that is why you won’t get that coveted defenseman you need.

Might have just drafted what we need. Wait and see. Certainly not trading out of desperation like 2015 2016

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
If Dallas is trading Seguin, the thing they'll need more than anything will be a #1C to replace him, and since it doesn't make much sense for any team to trade a current #1C for a different #1C, the Stars are going to want a young center who looks like he'll be a #1C in the next couple of years.

Draft picks from playoff teams aren't good enough because rarely do #1C's come from the bottom half of the first round any more (especially if it's Dallas making the pick :pullhair:). Defensemen, wings and goalies don't work because they don't replace the gaping hole in the middle. Centers who are already 22+ and still struggling to break out (like Bennett) aren't going to cut it - the summer when Seguin was 22, he'd just finished a 37 goal/84 point season. Someone with that sort of potential (like Point or Barkov last summer) is who they're looking for - that 20-21 year old center who had a 45-55 point season and looks like he's about to break out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taluss and Kcb12345

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->