Value of: Seguin Trade

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
What value could Dallas get in a Seguin trade? I feel he will pull a Tavares and make it seem like he wants to stay but will leave the first chance he can get leaving Dallas with nothing.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
If he doesn’t sign by the deadline and Dallas is on the bubble or out of the playoffs I think we need to trade him and get whatever assets we can for him. Would obviously suck to lose our top line centre, but I don’t think Seguin is interest in staying on a bubble team.

If we do trade him it’s full on rebuild time meaning we look to trade Benn, Radulov, Bishop.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I still think they get him re-signed, but I'm losing confidence with every interview he does lol. I bet they eventually budge and pay Seguin what he wants. He said it's more about the "market" right now than the team anyways so it's about the money. Theyll pay him what he wants eventually so hes smart to wait it out

In his most recent interview Jim Nill made it sound like Seguin wants to test the open market if the Stars struggle this season. Nill even said he'd be okay with it because the Stars are a "good team" even without him. Lmao he is out of his mind.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
If Dallas are comfortably in a playoff spot by January I can see the negotiations going well and him signing for 11ish million.

I believe the stars will make the playoffs this year but then again, I pick them every year.

As for the hypothetical trade, difficult to gauge. On one hand, there's not a team in the league who wouldn't want him if they're in a playoff position But if it gets to that point, it's obvious he'd want to go to July 1st, so hard to guess how much that affects his value

valente317

Jun 4, 2014
A first round lottery pick and an elite prospect with allstar potential or young center with 60 point upside. That's the value I would accept at the trade deadline, if Dallas is on the outside looking in and believes that Seguin will go to market.

Alternatively, if Dallas is on the bubble come TDL, I would think long and hard about moving other assets to bring in a young-ish 2C with scoring upside. If that helps push Dallas into contender territory, then maybe it also helps them retain Seguin. If not, it helps soften the blow in the near term.

Dallas doesn't have ANYTHING at any level in the system to replace Seguin. I'd rather they didn't return to the Dark Days of Benn at 1C.

Reactions: glovesave_35

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If he doesn’t sign by the deadline and Dallas is on the bubble or out of the playoffs I think we need to trade him and get whatever assets we can for him. Would obviously suck to lose our top line centre, but I don’t think Seguin is interest in staying on a bubble team.

If we do trade him it’s full on rebuild time meaning we look to trade Benn, Radulov, Bishop.
If you guys rebuild, make sure to save Klingberg for Edmonton!

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Stamkos stayed and signed a day before free agency opened
And if he hadn't there would be the same criticisms cast on TB as there was on the Islanders. If Seguin isn't signed by the TDL, if I'm Dallas I'm looking to trade him.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I think he signs for 10ish.

With that being said, if hes available near the deadline, he will get a top 50 prospect, a 1st and a small add IMO.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Isn’t dallas tax free? Would have to leave a lot of money on the table. Not sure where the fit would be.

Toronto/isles was the perfect storm. Most players stay.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Wonder if he’d come back to Boston as a UFA.

If they launch Neely from a canon to the moon. Maybe.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Which contender would have a lottery pick at the TDL?

Colorado very well could...

Not that they're cup contenders next season. But they could very well be comfortably in a playoff position at the deadline next year and still have a potential Top 5 pick up our sleeves as well.

But that said, there's not a chance in hell I trade that pick for an unsigned Seguin at the deadline(It it really is shaping up to be Top 5). Nevermind the additions that guy thinks he'd be getting as well. Rentals, no matter how good they are, simply do not fetch very much in return. Teams will not sacrifice everything from the future for one player. It doesn't happen.

Reactions: exporta

Mar 26, 2010
I doubt Seguin leaves Dallas. He has a bromance with Benn.

IF he does leave, his trade value would be a lot! He is a legit C. If he goes to UFA he will easily get $8M +.

Could you imagine if he comes home to Toronto.

Matthews
Tavares
Seguin
Kadri

Good god!

Last edited:

brokenwolf88

Nov 27, 2017
If he does leave its not like he's chasing a cup. He won in his rookie year which almost never happens. If Dallas does end up trading him I hope he goes to Winnipeg. I would love to see them go deep again.

valente317

Jun 4, 2014
Which contender would have a lottery pick at the TDL?

Who said contender? Ideally, yes, there would be a surprise team in a strong playoff position with a previously-acquired lottery pick -- like Vegas last year, if they had owned another pick. Alternatively, they could also target bubble teams that seem to be fading, as Seguin only has a 15-team limited NTC.

I think there would be teams lining up for Seguin as a pure rental at the cost of a 1st + elite prospect. From the other perspective, I believe that after seeing the Tavares situation play out, both management and fans would be more open to moving him at the deadline.

Dallas seemed to be the only team that met with Tavares that didn't seem to have any real business there. It wouldn't be surprising if they were getting the "other side of the story" to gauge what they could be facing with Seguin next summer.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Right now, he should net a first round pick, top prospect, and maybe a middle six roster forward, youngish. That’s if they want futures.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad