Confirmed with Link: Seguin Re-signed! (8 Years, $9.85M AAV)

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Tavares was never coming here, we made his short list but it made no sense from day 1. Teams with better support who needed a 1C more would always have the advantage there. Toronto also had the home town advantage

Pacioretty isnt the end of the world. VGK gave up a really good prospect in Suzuki. I would have probably moved Dellandrea for him but Im not too torn on that.

Karlsson was again a player we had no business being in on. Sure he would help but they werent giving him to us with Miro and we are more than fine at RD to be able to stand firm on that

Panarin isnt going to get traded this summer and even if he was I dont think we are in on him...

People are saying "Disappointing time to be a Stars fan." sure we maybe could have landed one of them but we are one fo the few teams to actually be in on most of these guys. Thats damn exciting. Knowing players of that caliber would want to sign in DAllas is amazing. I would be way way way more torn on missing out on these guys if we didnt have and Elite LW, C and RD already.

Its not great but we are way better off than a lot of teams. I hope Nill circles back to Ottawa and asks about Stone and Duchene

Sorry I just can't agree with that kind of mindset.

We've made the playoffs 2 times in 10 years. 1 one of those we made it passed the 1st round.

Sure it's great to have Seguin, Benn, Radulov, Klingberg, and now Heiskanen. We still missed the playoffs last year when it should have been our strongest season yet. I want results, not this "glass half-full" bullshit we keep falling into.

Can you think ahead for a bit and tell me what your reaction will be if we stay with this group and either:

A.) Miss the playoffs again (very likely)
Or
B.) Get knocked out in the first round, again, and have no high draft pick that Nill can't swing and miss on like he always does?

A lot of you trying to spread positivity, are trying to help. And I get that. But this is why Nill has kept his job this long and why keep getting the same results.

Theres 0 accountability for the stupid shit that has been done to get us put in this mess.

I'm sick of it. I pay a lot of money every year to go to Stars games, watch every game on DirecTV, and buy merchandise. I'm not doing that this year. If they shit the bed again this year and Nill is still GM I'm done with the Stars until he is.

Reactions: Ajacied

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Sorry I just can't agree with that kind of mindset.

We've made the playoffs 2 times in 10 years. 1 one of those we made it passed the 1st round.

Sure it's great to have Seguin, Benn, Radulov, Klingberg, and now Heiskanen. We still missed the playoffs last year when it should have been our strongest season yet. I want results, not this "glass half-full" bull**** we keep falling into.

Can you think ahead for a bit and tell me what your reaction will be if we stay with this group and either:

A.) Miss the playoffs again (very likely)
Or
B.) Get knocked out in the first round, again, and have no high draft pick that Nill can't swing and miss on like he always does?

A lot of you trying to spread positivity, are trying to help. And I get that. But this is why Nill has kept his job this long and why keep getting the same results.

Theres 0 accountability for the stupid **** that has been done to get us put in this mess.

I'm sick of it. I pay a lot of money every year to go to Stars games, watch every game on DirecTV, and buy merchandise. I'm not doing that this year. If they **** the bed again this year and Nill is still GM I'm done with the Stars until he is.

Im not trying to spread positivity... Im trying to put these things in perspective and how we werent really ever a likely destination for most of the things you are mad about us missing on. If we didnt have Seguin Tavares would have been 10 times more likely, if we didnt have Klingberg adding Miro for Karlsson would have been 10 times more likely, Patches is an opinion but Im not a fan of his age for the price paid (We straight up dont have a Suzuki level prospect)

So you say we missed on these things but if you take a step back the 2 biggest fish this offseason were Tavares and Krlsson and play positions we already have filled. So yeah it would have been nice to get but Nill doesnt have to sell the farm for them because we are good at their positions.

Im not trying to make this sound more Positive but I 10000000% think we straight up were never a legit consideration for Tavares. He left 2 million AAV on the table to sign with Toronto. Its pretty damn clear he was set on TO.

Reactions: Bfantz

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Seguin signed for 9 more years
Benn signed for 7 more years
Bishop signed for 5 more years
Radulov signed for 4 more years
Klingberg signed for 4 more years

Core locked up long term now officially. Heiskanen on that 3 year ELC helps too.

Major problem is no long term guys past our 1st line at all. Hope Nill can fix that this season/next off-season's free agency. Duchene would be perfect but there will be more options available

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Im not trying to spread positivity... Im trying to put these things in perspective and how we werent really ever a likely destination for most of the things you are mad about us missing on. If we didnt have Seguin Tavares would have been 10 times more likely, if we didnt have Klingberg adding Miro for Karlsson would have been 10 times more likely, Patches is an opinion but Im not a fan of his age for the price paid (We straight up dont have a Suzuki level prospect)

So you say we missed on these things but if you take a step back the 2 biggest fish this offseason were Tavares and Krlsson and play positions we already have filled. So yeah it would have been nice to get but Nill doesnt have to sell the farm for them because we are good at their positions.

Im not trying to make this sound more Positive but I 10000000% think we straight up were never a legit consideration for Tavares. He left 2 million AAV on the table to sign with Toronto. Its pretty damn clear he was set on TO.

What are you talking about? This makes no sense.

So because we have Seguin we didnt want Tavares? Because we have Klingberg we dont want Karlsson? You're acting like a position being currently occupied is the basis for making trades.. that's patently ridiculous.

Toronto had Matthews
San Jose has Burns and Vlasic.

I fail to see how your opinion has any logic behind it at all.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Oldsters like me recall signing Turgeon when we had Mo and Niewy. Even Soezza moving to wing was a disaster. Positions matter a little bit.

Agree would have been nice to get EK, not so much JT. Probably only interested if Tyler left.

On to Panarin, I guess. Or everyone's favorite scorer, a guy named "Internal Improvement."

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Not sure I get all the pessimism and those downgrading Seguin because of hardware crack me up. In the past five years, he’s tied for second in goals in the entire NHL. The two guys in the same breath - Ovechkin and Crosby... and Seguin missed more time with two fluky injuries. The Stars just retained a bonafide superstar who had a breakout two-way campaign.

On top of that, they have a defenceman that is in most people’s top five prospect lists who keeps surpassing expectations and is on an ELC.

I think Nill has the team in great shape cap wise and he has a good cupboard full of kids. I also firmly believe Hitch wasn’t his mistake and he has an exciting plan. The Stars weren’t in the running for guys like Tavares and Karlsson by accident, either.

They may not have won on those guys (and did SJ really win if Karlsson doesn’t sign?) but Nill will do what he does. I see him using that cap space as leverage to fill holes and I imagine he’ll pry someone out of somewhere no one knew a player was available.

I get the frustration with lack of playoff success and with drafting - though I think that’s been a Stars problem long before the current GM - but I’m optimistic right now.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Not sure I get all the pessimism and those downgrading Seguin because of hardware crack me up. In the past five years, he’s tied for second in goals in the entire NHL. The two guys in the same breath - Ovechkin and Crosby... and Seguin missed more time with two fluky injuries. The Stars just retained a bonafide superstar who had a breakout two-way campaign.

On top of that, they have a defenceman that is in most people’s top five prospect lists who keeps surpassing expectations and is on an ELC.

I think Nill has the team in great shape cap wise and he has a good cupboard full of kids. I also firmly believe Hitch wasn’t his mistake and he has an exciting plan. The Stars weren’t in the running for guys like Tavares and Karlsson by accident, either.

They may not have won on those guys (and did SJ really win if Karlsson doesn’t sign?) but Nill will do what he does. I see him using that cap space as leverage to fill holes and I imagine he’ll pry someone out of somewhere no one knew a player was available.

I get the frustration with lack of playoff success and with drafting - though I think that’s been a Stars problem long before the current GM - but I’m optimistic right now.

No he hasn't and no he doesn't.
We have no 2nd line, 3 good defensemen(Klingberg, Lindell and Miro) and 1 of them is our only prospect worth a damn (miro)
Outside of that it is bottom pairing D-men and bottom 6 forwards, most of which are at least 2-3yrs away, and he's not willing to part with bottom 6 assets to add a top 5 player in the NHL so improvement through trade isn't going to happen.
We're in a bad position, with no quality coming internal and a GM who's too afraid to part with middling prospects to improve, and a Director of Amateur scouting who has drafted 0 NHL level prospects. (no i don't count a fluke lotto win because even a 5yr old with no hockey knowledge couldn't have f***ed that up)

Also drafting under Newy's Regime turned out Tons of quality prospects, he missed in the first round, but Drafting was far from the failure it has been during Nills era

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
What are you talking about? This makes no sense.

So because we have Seguin we didnt want Tavares? Because we have Klingberg we dont want Karlsson? You're acting like a position being currently occupied is the basis for making trades.. that's patently ridiculous.

Toronto had Matthews
San Jose has Burns and Vlasic.

I fail to see how your opinion has any logic behind it at all.

No im saying we are less likely to be all in on them because we have a player in that position already and we dont NEED them. Sure they would help but depth scoring is a bigger priority. Teams that actually NEED a 1RD and a 1 C are way way more likely to offer a better deal to make sure they get that piece. For example if we dont have Klingberg we likely dont have Miro off the table for KArlsson because we would be missing that 1RD spot.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
No he hasn't and no he doesn't.
We have no 2nd line, 3 good defensemen(Klingberg, Lindell and Miro) and 1 of them is our only prospect worth a damn (miro)
Outside of that it is bottom pairing D-men and bottom 6 forwards, most of which are at least 2-3yrs away, and he's not willing to part with bottom 6 assets to add a top 5 player in the NHL so improvement through trade isn't going to happen.

I would argue that Stephen Johns is also a good NHL defenceman and I think a healthy Marc Methot can help. Maybe Julius Honka can thrive in Jim Montgomery's system. I'm not as high on him as many here were, but to me the D-core is adequate.

I can see the discussion about the second line being not good enough because, you're right, it's not. A lot hinges on Spezza showing that he still can be effective there. Time will tell. I'm not Nichushkin's biggest fan, but I think he's a decent depth upgrade and looking at the available free agents, Blake Comeau was among the better points producers in a poor class. Those are good additions to Janmark, Faksa, and Pitlick. I also think Shore will be better if he's not pigeon-holed on the off-wing all year.

The organization's new approach with youth also could vault the likes of Dickinson and Hintz into that mix too.

We're in a bad position, with no quality coming internal and a GM who's too afraid to part with middling prospects to improve, and a Director of Amateur scouting who has drafted 0 NHL level prospects. (no i don't count a fluke lotto win because even a 5yr old with no hockey knowledge couldn't have ****ed that up)

Go back through history and you'll see a few teams who have screwed up high picks like the Heiskanen one. The first few Nill drafts, I'd agree there were a number of busts. I see quality in guys like Jason Robertson, Adam Mascherin, and Ty Dellandria. Albin Eriksson may make someone look very smart. The goaltending depth in the system is the best it's been. I may sound too optimistic, but I'm not ready to panic.

Also drafting under Newy's Regime turned out Tons of quality prospects, he missed in the first round, but Drafting was far from the failure it has been during Nills era

His first round busts were spectacular and some say even his own scouts didn't back a few of those choices. That said, I'm willing to say he gets unfairly maligned by many. The ownership was a gong show and I think that weighed a lot on the way the team was run. I wouldn't have been disappointed had he stayed on, but wished they cleaned house more in scouting.

Reactions: Karitimes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad