Sportsnet: Seguin "disappointed" to not have an extension yet

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
RFA VS UFA How do people not realize this... there is a massive ****ing difference. If McDavid was allowed to talk to all 31 teams and they could have offered him without compensation I would be willing to bet a decent sum of money some team would have offered north of 14 and we might have seen the first max contract.

We've already seen a max contract.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I would have been thrilled if Tavares had signed with the Sharks for $13M and I would offer the same to Seguin in a heartbeat. The Sharks only have five forwards with contracts past this next season (Couture, Hertl, Tierney, Kane (ugh), and Melker Karlsson). Karlsson is expendable. Donskoi, Meier, and Labanc will need moderate raises. Could simply let Thornton and Pavelski go and have plenty of space for Seguin.

You don’t worry about overpaying stars. Trim the margins.

Reactions: Kelly and Nizdizzle

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
And before you make a blanket comment about Seguin being the product of Benn you should do some research of your own and realize they are not exclusively on the same line. Seguin produces with and without Benn. JT played with Anders Lee and Josh Bailey who are not scrubs so this just is more evidence that you know nothing about Dallas and apparently the Islanders. Thanks for coming out.
Except the stats show that Seguin plays the majority of his time with Benn and Benn has actually outproduced Seguin in their time together. And the numbers show Lee and Bailey both performed under below a 50 point pace without Seguin and to top line production with him.

Tyler Seguin - Frozen Tools

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
"Skilled player excels when paired with skilled linemates. More at 11."

smh foh wtf lol bbq.... :help:

Cool...comparing 2 1C's that have about equal production when one gets to play with better linemates and the other doesn't is the issue here, reading comprehension is your friend...

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Only 1 player in league getting more then 10 million aav is worth it. No one else. We all know who he is.
666291902.0.jpg

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
What are the chances Seguin would consider going back to Boston as a UFA? If they had the money for Tavares you’d think they could pay Seguin but I don’t know if he would go due to his history there. Obv chiarelli is no longer in charge so that shouldn’t be an issue

SourTemplePilot

Go Stars!!
Oct 10, 2017
Dallas, TX
What are the chances Seguin would consider going back to Boston as a UFA? If they had the money for Tavares you’d think they could pay Seguin but I don’t know if he would go due to his history there. Obv chiarelli is no longer in charge so that shouldn’t be an issue

But Neeley is still there. :naughty:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Every single one of them before that contract kicked in, eh?

If the Leafs win a cup this year and Matthews makes like $20M a year afterwards, I won't even care. I can die happy.

Hawks are my #2/West team and (IMO) 3 cups in 6 years...if he's overpaid by a couple million, who cares? He (along with others) brought the franchise a tremendous amount of success.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
If the Leafs win a cup this year and Matthews makes like $20M a year afterwards, I won't even care. I can die happy.

Hawks are my #2/West team and (IMO) 3 cups in 6 years...if he's overpaid by a couple million, who cares? He (along with others) brought the franchise a tremendous amount of success.
I completely agree with the sentiment, but the technicality is that he's being paid for work on that contract year by year, and so the picture plays into an hf meme that spans years

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I completely agree with the sentiment, but the technicality is that he's being paid for work on that contract year by year, and so the picture plays into an hf meme that spans years

Toews and the Hawks won't lose any sleep over it. He has cups, medals, a conn smythe, a selke and millions upon millions of dollars. He's going to the HHOF.

Any franchise would kill to have this player. I think he'll do better this season, the Hawks have gotten some new (young) blood coming in this year.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Of all the big name 2019 UFAs, I think Seguin is the one most likely to sign with his current team. I would be absolutely shocked if he left the Stars.

Meh, if it comes to that, they'll trade him before he leaves..

I still think they'll get it done, hopefully this month. Wonder if he's given them a deadline.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Toews and the Hawks won't lose any sleep over it. He has cups, medals, a conn smythe, a selke and millions upon millions of dollars. He's going to the HHOF.

Any franchise would kill to have this player. I think he'll do better this season, the Hawks have gotten some new (young) blood coming in this year.
I wasn't trying to argue with you, but I certainly would not kill to add Toews - and at that contract I'd actively seek to avoid adding Toews.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I would have been thrilled if Tavares had signed with the Sharks for $13M and I would offer the same to Seguin in a heartbeat. The Sharks only have five forwards with contracts past this next season (Couture, Hertl, Tierney, Kane (ugh), and Melker Karlsson). Karlsson is expendable. Donskoi, Meier, and Labanc will need moderate raises. Could simply let Thornton and Pavelski go and have plenty of space for Seguin.

You don’t worry about overpaying stars. Trim the margins.

/Toews thread

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

If the Leafs win a cup this year Zach Hyman could sign for league max and Matthews could retire and start a doomsday cult in Arizona and you'd die happy. By your logic literally any player on any team that won a long awaited cup doesn't have a bad contract.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If the Leafs win a cup this year Zach Hyman could sign for league max and Matthews could retire and start a doomsday cult in Arizona and you'd die happy. By your logic literally any player on any team that won a long awaited cup doesn't have a bad contract.

How about 3 cups in 6 years? I just don't mind rewarding guys who bring success to a franchise.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
...and it prevents them from staying competitive.

I think most teams have a couple of contracts that would be defined as bad. I think Toews is maybe overpaid by a couple million, not really an issue when you consider what Keith makes.

I think what killed it more is Brent Seabrook's contract. Huge for the team during the window but they had to let him walk.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

But Neeley is still there. :naughty:

Neely was not the issue; the owners (the Jacobs family, specifically the matriarch) were. I think that there would be mutual interest, but Seguin, in the eyes of the Jacobs, will have to prove that he has matured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad