Seguin at 23 goals has surpassed what the top Bruins goal scorer averaging at 82 gms

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
This has to be a joke.

He is the best player in the NHL right now and it isn't even close. He is tearing up the league and outperforming league superstars who are on President's trophy teams, while he is on one of the worst.

I guess Crosby retired?

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Campbell TOI 12:53
Kelly TOI 15:21

Smith TOI 15:55
Marchand TOI 16:44

This is the reason Boston can't score, because their moron coach plays their 4th line as much as their current #1 line.

A lot of people defend Julien, but he needs to go, coaches get stale and he is rotten.

DoubleDouble*

I remember reading the text from TSN when he was dealt. I was at work.

I swear, I felt a massive weight fall off my shoulders. As a Leaf fan, I cringed everytime we played the Bruins. He was so skilled, had so much potential. Although I denied it, it was the worst thing to happen to this organization in a long, long time: we gave a rival a superstar. Kessel is fantastic, but Seguin had next level talent.

Then I saw the trade. Surely Benn was involved? Multiple 1sts? Nope. Eriksson. Eriksson was the core piece going back. Smith and Morrow are nice players, but they are quarters on a dollar.

I sat back eating my sandwich in the back room and just smiled as I read through the HF thread on my phone. I remember it as if it were yesterday.

member 96824

FWIW, just because no one cared to show up and watch that god awful 2006 Bruins team, doesn't mean the rest of the league locked out :laugh:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Bruins have traded away two superstar players away in 5 years. Not often do you come out on the better end of that. Certainly didn't happen this time.

There is no doubt that Seguin would make them a better team right now and have a much larger impact than Smith and Eriksson.

Yet in the end they have the Cup and the finals etc so management would argue it was the right move.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I love Seguin and the Bruins are my second favorite team, so I can say with full confidence that this was not even close to the worst trade since the lockout.

Seguin would never have flourished like this in Boston, and he was beginning to get too comfortable with the night life scene. He wasn't a cancer, and he likely never would have been, but he wasn't what they were looking for personality-wise for their franchise player.

Regardless of all that, though, Eriksson, Smith and Morrow are all good players in their own right, and although none will ever be as good as Seguin, it's a very respectable return.

At the time of the trade, yeah, it looked like a respectable return.

Nowadays, it's absolutely horrific. Bruins are struggling heavily with offense right now. Don't you think they could use a potential Art Ross and Rocket Richard winner???

I remember reading the text from TSN when he was dealt. I was at work.

I swear, I felt a massive weight fall off my shoulders. As a Leaf fan, I cringed everytime we played the Bruins. He was so skilled, had so much potential. Although I denied it, it was the worst thing to happen to this organization in a long, long time: we gave a rival a superstar. Kessel is fantastic, but Seguin had next level talent.

Then I saw the trade. Surely Benn was involved? Multiple 1sts? Nope. Eriksson. Eriksson was the core piece going back. Smith and Morrow are nice players, but they are quarters on a dollar.

I sat back eating my sandwich in the back room and just smiled as I read through the HF thread on my phone. I remember it as if it were yesterday.

This sums it up perfect. Bruins fleeced us hard on Kessel trade, but it softened the blow 10 fold when they traded Seguin to Dallas. Feels good.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Campbell TOI 12:53
Kelly TOI 15:21

Smith TOI 15:55
Marchand TOI 16:44

This is the reason Boston can't score, because their moron coach plays their 4th line as much as their current #1 line.

A lot of people defend Julien, but he needs to go, coaches get stale and he is rotten.

Winner. And he rolls out two different 4th lines consisting of Campbell, Kelly, and Cunningham (Paille too I think) all OVERTIME. Like, when you are trying to win.

Blueland89

Dec 1, 2009
Cartersville, Ga
Most overrated player in the league. He's racking up tons of goals while his, and his teammates team play is awful. He's a dangerous sniper but he should probably be a winger considering his defensive play.

But hey, let him keep racking up huge individual numbers in a losing cause. It's what all the great ones do.

seriously? so I Imagine if a team is losing then the top scorers should start slumping as to not be the problem.

GingerNinja03

Nov 22, 2013
I think that's a bit of revisionist history. There wasn't THAT much separation between Seguin and Eriksson when the deal was done. Eriksson was a 30-goal, 70 point player for pretty much 4 years running, no one could have predicted he would have injury issues and pretty much bomb in Boston.

I think at worse most assumed Boston was trading for what many people expected Seguin to become - a consistent 30 goal, 70 point forward. I don't think a lot of people predicted Seguin would do this well. Or, conversely, that Eriksson would do this poorly.

In the lockout year Loui looked way worse than in previous years and was on pace for 50 points in an 82 game season. Stars fans saw it coming but not to this extent

Robongo01

May 13, 2013
Vancouver
Every Boston fan including me thinks it is a horrible trade, I don't see all the Bruins fans saying it was a good deal.

It all depends on what happens in the future though, if the Bruins win a Cup is it really a terrible deal if Smith/Morrow/Eriksson are a part of it in any way???

That's not true. Just a few weeks ago there were Boston fans claiming that if they had a chance to reverse the deal that they wouldn't:laugh::laugh:

Aela*

I think it's mainly the coach and the system honeslty. I think Eriksson still has value.

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
Eriksson was a 30-goal, 70 point player for pretty much 4 years running, no one could have predicted he would have injury issues and pretty much bomb in Boston.
30 goals once
70 points 3 years running, which is still a great accomplishment.
He had 29 points in 48 games in his last season, which translates to just under 50 points in 82 games.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I think that's a bit of revisionist history. There wasn't THAT much separation between Seguin and Eriksson when the deal was done. Eriksson was a 30-goal, 70 point player for pretty much 4 years running, no one could have predicted he would have injury issues and pretty much bomb in Boston.

I think at worse most assumed Boston was trading for what many people expected Seguin to become - a consistent 30 goal, 70 point forward. I don't think a lot of people predicted Seguin would do this well. Or, conversely, that Eriksson would do this poorly.

I somewhat agree. Eriksson was definitely seen as a lot better of an asset at the time, and not many people saw this kind of decline coming. But Seguin was the number 2 overall pick and had already scored 29 goals at this level and had 32 points in 40+ games when traded from the Bruins. He looked every bit the part of a super star.

So I think my point stands, to make a good deal they needed to get back an asset with the potential to be a star player, they didn't get one. Even before Eriksson began to struggle. To me they lost this trade from day one.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
it's amazing how Seguin has negatively affected three separate teams in only four years

1) Edmonton for taking Hall over him
2) Toronto for trading the pick for him
3) Boston for shipping him out of town

Not really negative. Kessel and Seguin are both similar players. Remember people considered Benn a top player even before the trade SO there is a #1 C and W together.

Kessel has Bozak (who many don't see as anything more than an average #2 C)..

The negative part of that trade is losing Hamilton as well. Having both of those guys instead of Kessel if they developed as they have would be huge for this team right now.

Regardless the leafs don't feel they lost the trade, they still got on of the best players to ever wear the blue and white.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
What a novel concept for a thread.

Don't worry - the Bruins board is extremely well aware of this.

Will be disappointed if Seguin doesn't score more than the entire Bruins roster combined. Whatta bust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->