Seguin at 23 goals has surpassed what the top Bruins goal scorer averaging at 82 gms

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Terrible trade for Boston. Back then, it didn't seem as bad. Loui Eriksson was thought to be this beast coming over and Reilly Smith and co were all decent pieces. As it turns out, Eriksson wasn't as good as everyone thought offensively, mostly rode the coattails of a prime Brad Richards in Dallas with bigger minutes.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
As it turns out, Eriksson wasn't as good as everyone thought offensively, mostly rode the coattails of a prime Brad Richards in Dallas with bigger minutes.

This is complete garbage. I watched all of Loui's career in Dallas and I can say without a doubt Eriksson rode nobody's coattails when he was putting up 70 points. The fact that he hasn't fit in well in Boston or really looked the same since the lockout ended doesn't change what happened before. Must have been pretty difficult for Brad to dish him the puck in 2011-12 when they were playing in different conferences.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Good to see you don't know what you're talking about.

It's not like Seguin is 15th in the league among forwards in ATOI/G, up there with the likes of other soft minute point producers like Giroux, Tavares, Getzlaf, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Kane, Pavelski, etc :sarcasm:

The "soft player/won't produce in the playoffs" thing is about the only thing some Bruins fans who remain in denial have left to cling to. Most at least are willing to own up to the fact that it was a terrible trade that looks worse by the day.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
So just trade him for spare parts? Thornton trade was bad, them winning the Cup ~6-7 years later doesn't change that.

The return wasn't great, but it was addition by subtraction. They recognized Joe wasn't a winner, not the guy to be the centerpiece of a cup winner in a salary cap world.

Primetimey*

Most overrated player in the league. He's racking up tons of goals while his, and his teammates team play is awful. He's a dangerous sniper but he should probably be a winger considering his defensive play.

But hey, let him keep racking up huge individual numbers in a losing cause. It's what all the great ones do.

This.. I .. don't.. even .. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Does Boston's suffocating style stop elite talent from reaching their offsv potential

?

For example, look at Kessel and Seguin. These two are now easily top 10 NHL forwards... even arguably top 5. IMO, had they stayed in Boston, while I truly believe they would have become more well rounded, they wouldn't have been able to reach their offensive potential like they have.

TBH, a few years ago, I didn't think Seguin would ever become good enough to be a front runner to make the Team Canada roster. Look at him now. And who would have thought that Kessel would emerge as an elite playmaker? (probably on par with, if not better than, Giroux on that front).

Look at Lou Eriksson's numbers since leaving Dallas. You can't tell me that he forgot how to play hockey. There's a strong correlation here.

Edit: Before I get bashed.

Boston has been an excellent team for years, so obviously the coach knows what he's doing. I'm just talking about this specific point.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
?

For example, look at Kessel and Seguin. These two are now easily top 10 NHL forwards... even arguably top 5. IMO, had they stayed in Boston, while I truly believe they would have become more well rounded, they wouldn't have been able to reach their offensive potential like they have.

TBH, a few years ago, I didn't think Seguin would ever become good enough to be a front runner to make the Team Canada roster. Look at him now. And who would have thought that Kessel would emerge as an elite playmaker? (probably on par with, if not better than, Giroux on that front).

Look at Lou Eriksson's numbers since leaving Dallas. You can't tell me that he forgot how to play hockey. There's a strong correlation here.

Erikson 's concussion really took a tole on him.

I am pretty sure last year there 2nd line was one of the best lines offensively as a whole last year. Seguin is a centre and there was no room for him.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
If you give up a player like Seguin in almost any trade you've made a mistake. I think the biggest problem with that deal is that if you're giving up far and away the best player in the deal, you should be getting some assets with elite potential in return. The Bruins did not get anyone with elite potential back.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
If you give up a player like Seguin in almost any trade you've made a mistake. I think the biggest problem with that deal is that if you're giving up far and away the best player in the deal, you should be getting some assets with elite potential in return. The Bruins did not get anyone with elite potential back.

I think that's a bit of revisionist history. There wasn't THAT much separation between Seguin and Eriksson when the deal was done. Eriksson was a 30-goal, 70 point player for pretty much 4 years running, no one could have predicted he would have injury issues and pretty much bomb in Boston.

I think at worse most assumed Boston was trading for what many people expected Seguin to become - a consistent 30 goal, 70 point forward. I don't think a lot of people predicted Seguin would do this well. Or, conversely, that Eriksson would do this poorly.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Bruins have traded away two superstar players away in 5 years. Not often do you come out on the better end of that. Certainly didn't happen this time.

There is no doubt that Seguin would make them a better team right now and have a much larger impact than Smith and Eriksson.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Most overrated player in the league. He's racking up tons of goals while his, and his teammates team play is awful. He's a dangerous sniper but he should probably be a winger considering his defensive play.

But hey, let him keep racking up huge individual numbers in a losing cause. It's what all the great ones do.

Just sounds like your jealous you don't have him. Without Seguin, Dallas sucks even more than they do this season. Every team needs an elite offensive guy

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
I think that's a bit of revisionist history. There wasn't THAT much separation between Seguin and Eriksson when the deal was done. Eriksson was a 30-goal, 70 point player for pretty much 4 years running, no one could have predicted he would have injury issues and pretty much bomb in Boston.

I think at worse most assumed Boston was trading for what many people expected Seguin to become - a consistent 30 goal, 70 point forward. I don't think a lot of people predicted Seguin would do this well. Or, conversely, that Eriksson would do this poorly.
I seem to remember before Hall and Seguin were drafted they were looked at as future superstars.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Every Boston fan including me thinks it is a horrible trade, I don't see all the Bruins fans saying it was a good deal.

It all depends on what happens in the future though, if the Bruins win a Cup is it really a terrible deal if Smith/Morrow/Eriksson are a part of it in any way???

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
it's amazing how Seguin has negatively affected three separate teams in only four years

1) Edmonton for taking Hall over him
2) Toronto for trading the pick for him
3) Boston for shipping him out of town

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I seem to remember before Hall and Seguin were drafted they were looked at as future superstars.

Frankly there's about 200 prospects seen as future superstars before the draft every year...

Nail Yakupov was seen as a future superstar. Maybe he still will be one, but there are a lot of questions around him now and Edmonton would probably have a hard time getting fair value for him if they traded him. Seguin's case wasn't as extreme as Yakupov's (he still put up a 60+ point season with Boston) but he had question marks too. The shine had come off his "future superstar" status a bit the same way it's rubbed off of Yakupov. And Eriksson was seen as a lock.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
it's amazing how Seguin has negatively affected three separate teams in only four years

That's hardly the issue in Edmonton. They're fairly comparably awesome players, I wouldn't say Edmonton needs a re-do on that of all things.

member 147413

Also amazing how he has not positively affected any team in the league. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->