Rumor: Seems worthy of its own thread: Sale of team imminent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
1 can only this is happening. Still they said about payroll coming close to not being met? If that was the case you'd hear about it log before now.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It's an interesting tweet to say the least, if true. I'd like to know where all the diehard Melnyk haters are who were constantly telling us how much money this team was making and how he wasn't spending any of the profits to improve the team? Now the story comes out that the financials of the team are terrible like some of us have been saying for a while and that they need NHL guaranteed bridge loans to make payroll and there's not a word?

Which one is it? Is he cheap, as you some of you say? Or is the team poor?

I don't know what to tell you, Alfredsson left to spend time with his family. Him and Melnyk are on great terms. What? Are you going to tell me that he's hoping for a new owner or something. He just wanted to stay home and fingerpaint with his kids.

Reactions: Liliaceae

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It's an interesting tweet to say the least, if true. I'd like to know where all the diehard Melnyk haters are who were constantly telling us how much money this team was making and how he wasn't spending any of the profits to improve the team? Now the story comes out that the financials of the team are terrible like some of us have been saying for a while and that they need NHL guaranteed bridge loans to make payroll and there's not a word?

The team, as an entity, is doing fine. Melnyk is not.

Reactions: Cath and bert

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
So, some unknown shmoe writes something random on twitter and the merry band of millenials here drink it like kool-aid. The guy even says he's a leaf fan. I dunno guys, some serious lack of logic going on here. No wonder Trudeau got elected, anybody can say anything they want on social media and it becomes true.

Reactions: Blotto71

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
So, some unknown shmoe writes something random on twitter and the merry band of millenials here drink it like kool-aid. The guy even says he's a leaf fan. I dunno guys, some serious lack of logic going on here. No wonder Trudeau got elected, anybody can say anything they want on social media and it becomes true.

I don't really believe this tweet, that being said what does him being a Leafs fan have to do with anything? If anything a Leafs fan would hope for the exact opposite of what he's saying.

And tbh there are situations where unknown people (especially finance related people) know things way before they get leaked.

Anybody can write anything on social media and that's kind of what you're doing right now. You're an unknown guy on a hockey forum downplaying the legitimacy of this person you don't even know.

Last edited:

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Here's to hoping. Thanks for saving us when you did Eug. It's better for everyone though if you move on by the sounds of it.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Sounds like bull, if arena workers weren't being paid , it would of leaked before now.

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013
NHL negotiated a bridge loan that's been kept under wraps until this, err, podcaster tweets about it? Sounds highly suspicious :S

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I'm so tired of being blue balled by all of these rumors. Just waiting for another statement from Bettman or #MelnykOut stating that the team is not for sale.

Reactions: Bileur

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

Melnyk has created the situation he is in through his own ham-fisted actions and self-destructive tendencies.

I'm not wildly connected in the Ottawa business world or anything even close to that, but I've heard of more than one instance in which Melnyk bought a company at a wildly inflated price largely because the seller was an attractive divorcée.

He's a bum. He's a creep. He's bleeding the franchise dry to fund his own egoistic downward spiral.

Even if Melnyk was a great owner, I would despise him. He is probably worse than any of us imagine, I even gave him the benefit of the doubt in some cases because, despite knowing of some incredibly deplorable behavior, I thought, well, the man can't be that bad.

In every such instance, I was wrong. He is that bad. Melnyk is a bad owner and a worse individual.

I hope to hell that he is out of the organization ASAP and cannot show his face in the city again. Ottawa is too good of a city for him. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Erkdajerk

Sep 11, 2010
Sorry to ruin all these punny references to the circus and cirque, but Guy Laliberte sold most of his interests in Cirque du Soleil back in 2015. I think he retains only a 10% stake. These days he's more closely associated with professional poker. Let the poker and gambling puns begin! In any case, he's only one partner and the other major player Andre Desmarais has deeper pockets. Andre was born in Ottawa and his family is deeply entrenched in Ottawa franco-ontarian history. I hope these rumours prove true. We couldn't hope for better prospective owners.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Let's get back to serious talk ok

tumblr_olc50rmqiF1qf55myo2_500.gif

Like our team being owned by circus folk.

Reactions: DrEasy

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Until something more concrete than 'random anonymous twitter source' materializes... going to lock this as it's getting out of hand and there's nothing really to speak on.

Reactions: IWantMyParade
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad