Seeking Help for Season

hockey prospect

Aug 2, 2018
Hello everyone.

I am a long time reader of HF and never created an account until tonight where I seek some help on how to "put it all together" some might say.

So, a little bit of a back round, I started hockey in peewee's, picked it up really fast, and made AAA my 4th year of hockey.

I have sacrificed so much for this sport, (I'm on the ice 6-7 days a week training), yet I have never had that offensive "breakout" year yet.

I play a power forward game and am a very complete, competitive 2 way player as well.

I will be playing my minor midget year and i'm seeking help on how to have a successful year offensively as i'll be having a major role this year.

It feels like when I want to play a physical game my offense drifts off and same goes for my offensive game.

I was wandering if anyone has any pointers or tips on how to play physical while still producing offensively and kind of just helping me know what it takes to have that breakout year offensively.

Thank you

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Haven't played check hockey in a really long time, but this is what always opened up the offense for me. Go out on your first shift, and be the high guy on the forecheck. Look to devastate someone in open ice, on the breakout. Let your linemates forecheck, and hang around the blue line. Wait for that outlet pass through the middle, and smoke the guy catching the pass. The entire game changes once you do this(nobody on their team wants to catch a pass in the middle, or make that pass), and it is turnover after turnover in the offensive zone.

I wasn't the most talented guy on the team, but I pretty much always started the game, as I set the tone immediately. It also got me on the ice in pretty much every clutch situation. I wasn't a big guy, either.

Last edited:

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
You know your game better then anyone. But tell us who you think play like first...Patrick Maroon, Milan Lucic or Jerome Iginla? I see a big difference between all 3 "power forwards"

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
What province are you in? In MMAAA you have to start to be aware. Aware of teammate and opponent tendency. If you see small dmen out there (If you are a big PF.) then take the puck hard to the net by driving arm out, puck protection. Watch goalies, see how they move side to side. If they are big goalies, they generally go down early giving you up high. (Take a few seconds in warm up to see what their weaknesses look like.)

Can you give us the more specifics on your game so we can help you? (Size, style)

hockey prospect

Aug 2, 2018
What province are you in? In MMAAA you have to start to be aware. Aware of teammate and opponent tendency. If you see small dmen out there (If you are a big PF.) then take the puck hard to the net by driving arm out, puck protection. Watch goalies, see how they move side to side. If they are big goalies, they generally go down early giving you up high. (Take a few seconds in warm up to see what their weaknesses look like.)

Can you give us the more specifics on your game so we can help you? (Size, style)
I play in the US in the tier one elite hockey league. (T1EHL).

I am currently 6'0 and around 175ish at 15.

Some more specifics is I am a good skater and have really soft hands in addition to a solid shot. I play a physical game and always the most competitive on the ice. I am mostly a defense hit first kind of player but want to be a more complete goal scorer while not sacrificing my physicality and defensive abilities.

This year i'll be playing center with a large role on the team.

hockey prospect

Aug 2, 2018
You know your game better then anyone. But tell us who you think play like first...Patrick Maroon, Milan Lucic or Jerome Iginla? I see a big difference between all 3 "power forwards"
It's like a more skilled Tom Wilson game right now. Or a more physical Ryan Kesler. I aspire to be like a Jamie Benn type though

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
One thing I would consider based on what you said is to pick your physical spots. You don't need to throw a big hit every shift. If it is there, then take it but don't run around. If you are physical get to the net. A high proportion of goals happen from within 6 feet of the crease.

Reactions: HansonBro

cynicalcitizen

Feb 6, 2014
I'm no coach, so not going to be much source for advice; but I wonder if letting some of the knowledgeable hockey people here know what you do not do well, in addition to what you've told us you do well, would help someone give you an all around idea about increase use of your strengths and improving your weaknesses to be more well rounded and effective.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
work on getting yourself into scoring position, more often.

The "next step" is about understanding your teammates, and anticipating scoring opportunities.
Watch games, watch the guys without the puck. Observe them getting into open space, ready to shoot a puck. Watch how they float around the net. Get OPEN. If you play that power forward role, you still want to get in striking distance of the net, but it doesnt mean you cant get open for a pass/shot.

Start by watching the back-door option on a PP. He usually comes in and out of the goal mouth area, ready for a 1-timer or ready to crash the net and bury a rebound.
Other times, with "power forwards", sometimes you need to watch the smaller guys around the net. See how they work, get to pucks, create chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->