See You Later Berman !!!!!

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
from profootballtalk.nbcsports.com:

chris-berman.jpg

ESPN’s Chris Berman is retiring after the 2016 season, TheBigLead.com reported Thursday.

Berman, 61, is an original ESPN employee and the host of two of the network’s most popular NFL-related shows, Sunday NFL Countdown and Monday Night Countdown.

The report said Berman is in the final year of his contract and will retire sometime after the end of the season that starts this September and ends with the Super Bowl next February. ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz declined comment to TheBigLead.com on the report.

The report lists Trey Wingo and Suzy Kolber as potential Berman replacements. Wingo hosts NFL Live daily, and the report said there’s a “strong internal push” for Kolber to replace Berman.

ESPN has made other changes to its extensive NFL coverage in recent weeks. Ray Lewis and Cris Carter are out at ESPN, and Randy Moss and Charles Woodson are among the new analysts set to join the network’s NFL coverage.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Nice. More good news regarding ESPN's NFL coverage. Wingo, Moss, Woodson, and Hasselbeck should be a good group in the studio.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
He was great but is clearly time to call it a day.

Back, back, back.... gone.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I love Boomer. Boomer is GOAT.
This! Boomer is a gem & revolutionized the way pregame shows were done. Yeah, he may not be as good as he once was but he is still a joy for me to watch even if I hardly ever agree with "the Swami's" picks!

It should be noted that Berman's camp is denying these reports and I hope ESPN is not trying to push him out the door.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Just to add, last I read Boomer was planning on retiring in 2019 (well really after the 2020 Super Bowl) so that he could go out after celebrating 40 years at The Mothership along with covering the NFL's Centennial celebration season. So yeah, this has all the earmarks of ESPN/Disney trying to push poor Boom out the door.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Just to add, last I read Boomer was planning on retiring in 2019 (well really after the 2020 Super Bowl) so that he could go out after celebrating 40 years at The Mothership along with covering the NFL's Centennial celebration season. So yeah, this has all the earmarks of ESPN/Disney trying to push poor Boom out the door.

There's been rumors for a while now about the Mouse looking to cut costs and that he may be on the shortlist there. Unfortunate because unlike most of the ones they've pushed out so far Boomer isn't a complete jackwagon of a person. The guy actually brings a positive energy unlike a Skip Bayless type and from what I've seen isn't really all that controversial of a guy outside the studio.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There's been rumors for a while now about the Mouse looking to cut costs and that he may be on the shortlist there. Unfortunate because unlike most of the ones they've pushed out so far Boomer isn't a complete jackwagon of a person. The guy actually brings a positive energy unlike a Skip Bayless type and from what I've seen isn't really all that controversial of a guy outside the studio.

I've heard him crap on Philadelphia enough times to know that actually he is a complete jackwagon

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
This! Boomer is a gem & revolutionized the way pregame shows were done. Yeah, he may not be as good as he once was but he is still a joy for me to watch even if I hardly ever agree with "the Swami's" picks!

It should be noted that Berman's camp is denying these reports and I hope ESPN is not trying to push him out the door.

Yeah, his picks often leave me scratching my head. :laugh:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Boomer and John Madden are to football what Harry Cary was to baseball.

What I am really worried about is Kolber replacing him. That's an awful choice.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Everybody craps on Philly. It's the cool thing to do, but it doesn't make one a jackwagon. :nod:

It's different for Berman because he gets off on it. He did it when they drafted McNabb, at the time that wasn't outrageous, but then when he got traded he did it again ("you don't know what you've got when it's gone), and the coup de grace was at the US Open when they had to suspend play, he says 'it's Philly, they'll boo." The guy is an ass, and I hope someday I can say it to his face.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Berman is awesome.... thank God they replaced the guys around him

Would have liked to see Carter & Moss on set tho, even tho he said some real stupid stuff sometimes I enjoyed his enthusiasm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad