Sedins.

Seanconn*

So if Daniel wins the Hart + Art Ross this season, will him and Henrik go down as the best brothers to have ever played in the NHL together?

or are they already?

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
Mr. and Mr. Hull might have something to say about that. However, the awards were lopsided towards Bobby. Sedin's might be the best balanced brothers. There is more history to be written though.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
As much as I'm a fan of the twins... I would have to go with

GZo23.jpg

And heck, even if the Sedins both double their career point totals, they still won't have as many points as the highest-scoring brother combination ever.... Wayne and Brent Gretzky ;)

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Maurice and Henri Richard own this category.

They are such an obvious answer, I almost forget about them before going on about how the Sedins have a long way to go to catch the
Conachers.

Seanconn*

The Pocket Rocket, and Dennis Hull were great players, but they were nowhere near equals to their siblings. If we take into account both brothers being truly great, I thin it's really hard not to give it to the Sedins.

Hypothetically... If Vancouver wins the cup this year (I hope they don't :laugh: )

We would be looking at a Hart and Art Ross each, a cup, and maybe a Conn Smythe?

Unless both of them play like total crap next year and retire, I think it's really hard to give "the best brothers" title to the Hull's or Richards, when the Sedins were both extremely dominant and won major NHL awards.

Maurice Richard and Bobby Hull are two of the greatest players to play in the game... their brothers were great players too, but not even close to the level of Maurice or Bobby. That's not the case with the Sedins, they are equals... but, I guess being identical twins helps, too :sarcasm:

Imo it's #1: Sedin's #2 Richard's #3 Hulls... and Gretzky's not even in the top 10 :laugh:

I still just find it mind blowing that If Daniel wins the Hart and Art Ross this year, his brother did the exact same thing the year before... it's really quite insane!

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm assuming that you mean brothers who played together at some point, and not just best players who were brothers. Best case scenario for them right now is that they're getting somewhat close to the Bentley brothers... which is to say they are still way behind the Richard brothers.

The Pocket Rocket, and Dennis Hull were great players, but they were nowhere near equals to their siblings. If we take into account both brothers being truly great, I thin it's really hard not to give it to the Sedins.

Hypothetically... If Vancouver wins the cup this year (I hope they don't :laugh: )

We would be looking at a Hart and Art Ross each, a cup, and maybe a Conn Smythe?

Unless both of them play like total crap next year and retire, I think it's really hard to give "the best brothers" title to the Hull's or Richards, when the Sedins were both extremely dominant and won major NHL awards.

Maurice Richard and Bobby Hull are two of the greatest players to play in the game... their brothers were great players too, but not even close to the level of Maurice or Bobby. That's not the case with the Sedins, they are equals... but, I guess being identical twins helps, too :sarcasm:

Imo it's #1: Sedin's #2 Richard's #3 Hulls... and Gretzky's not even in the top 10 :laugh:

That ranking makes no sense. In terms of absolute accomplishments, the Richards are better. Yes Maurice is better than Henri, but even if you averaged the two they would still be better than the Sedins. I can see no other legitimate criteria by which to rank them. To be honest either Sedin would be hard pressed in a comparison with Henri Richard right now as this is basically only their second elite seasons... and then the other obviously loses big compared to Maurice.

Last edited:

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
That ranking makes no sense. In terms of absolute accomplishments, the Richards are better. Yes Maurice is better than Henri, but even if you averaged the two they would still be better than the Sedins. I can see no other legitimate criteria by which to rank them. To be honest either Sedin would be hard pressed in a comparison with Henri Richard right now as this is basically only their second elite seasons... and then the other obviously loses big compared to Maurice.

Was about to say this. Henri Richard shouldn't be discounted because his brother was a top 10 player of all-time. I wouldn't have either Sedin even close to Henri to be honest.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Henri Richard was ranked 55th all time on the last HOH top 100 list and will likely go up a little bit next time as overpass and I uncovered new information about him.

The Sedins need to maintain their current pace for another couple of years and probably do damage in the playoffs to be able to be talked about like the Bentleys, let along the Richards.

steve141

Aug 13, 2009

This is the top ten point finishes of Henri Richard:

This is the combined top ten finishes of the Sedins (assuming current standings):

I think Richard's numbers are enough to consider him a great player. Sure, the Sedins peaked higher, but even if you combine their careers they have not shown the consistancy of Henri Richard.

Plus, the Richards have 19 more cups. Nineteen more cups.

Infinite Vision*

Henri Richard was ranked 55th all time on the last HOH top 100 list and will likely go up a little bit next time as overpass and I uncovered new information about him.

The Sedins need to maintain their current pace for another couple of years and probably do damage in the playoffs to be able to be talked about like the Bentleys, let along the Richards.

So they need to maintain their pace of leading the league in points for another 2 years to be talked about like the Bentleys, let alone the Richards, the best of which Maurice who never once lead the league in points?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

This is the combined top ten finishes of the Sedins (assuming current standings):

I think Richard's numbers are enough to consider him a great player. Sure, the Sedins peaked higher, but even if you combine their careers they have not shown the consistancy of Henri Richard.

Not to mention that Henri got relatively little PP time and was arguably the best shut down center in the league (probably along with Keon and perhaps Kelly) when he put up those numbers.

Infinite Vision*

That wouldn't have a little to do with the fact they played in a 6 team league, and played for the greatest dynasty in that six team league would it?

Seanconn*

okay, I'm starting to think The Richard's should be clear cut number one... I really know nothing about Henri Richard other than my late grandfather telling me about how he was the "pocket rocket" when I was a little kid.

I've never heard of the Bentley's before, but I looked them up, and they put up some pretty impressive numbers. Max won the Art Ross twice and Hart once and three cups, and Doug won the Art Ross once.

Sedin's are almost there though! and if they go on to win a cup together, which only the Richards have done, I don't see why they wouldn't be comparable to the Richard's, Bentley's, or Hull's.

Especially when the Sedins have been the two best players on the Canucks for the last 4-5 seasons. So maybe they aren't top 2, yet, but they definitely could be considered #2 or even surpass the Richards if they continue to play so well for another 4-5 seasons.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Sedins need to maintain their current pace for a decade and become two of the best playoff players ever to match the Richards. Highly unlikely. Passing the Conachers and Bentleys is going to be tough, but is possible.

Infinite Vision*

Because I'd like to think we are more sophisticated than counting Art Rosses, or else Iginla is as good as your boy Forsberg.

Sorry for not realizing how sophisticated you were, and what does (my boy?) Forsberg have to do with anything?

Iginla may as well be ranked higher than him anyway considering Henri Richard actually is and is apparently going up in rankings, while I wouldn't be surprised if Forsberg was going down. Not that it matters anyone with a pair of eyes and a good hockey mind can see Forsberg was better than most of the guys in your top 50.

If they go on to lead the league in points the next 2 straight years they're the best brother duo is history without question. Unless the rest of their careers are absolutely abysmal, which I don't expect them to be. That would mean for 4 straight years they lead the league in points? I mean it's not like they're horrible defensively, they're definitely above average. The only advantage we would be able to give the Richard's would be playoffs and cup wins in a 6 team league on the greatest dynasty in history, and do I really need to explain how dumb that would be?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
on the other hand, the sedins have destroyed rich and ron sutter and patrik and peter sundstrom on the all-time best twins to play on the same line list.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
It's off topic, but there is no way iginla makes the list, and inwould guess that forsberg rises a bit, though unfortunately he will still likely fall short of Dickie Moore

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Regarding the Sedins being close to the Richards, lets take a look at top ten scoring finishes, assuming that the Sedins finish where they currently are.

Sedins: 1, 1, 4

Richards: 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7, 9, 9, 9, 10

That is a massive gap. Even though the Sedins have played in a larger talent pool, it isn't near enough to make up for the fact that these are only their respective second elite seasons. They have a combined 4 elite seasons. Maurice alone has three times that number. Even those top ten point finishes likely underscore the lead the Richards have, considering that Henri was an elite defensive player and Maurice was an exceptional playoff player (Henri is no slouch either), and I'm not talking about Stanley Cups won. I'm not big on comparing playoff performances of players in radically different situations, but you can clearly see that the Richards were much better in this area as well, as the Sedin's have been pretty underwhelming thus far in their careers. Overall it is not close.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Are we assuming that the two brothers had to be teammates? If not, then Phil and Tony Esposito are #2 behind the Richards in my opinion. Phil led the league in scoring 5 times, Tony was named the league's top goalie 3 times. Even with less competition, that total of accomplishments would trump 2 Sedin Art Rosses in my opinion.

It is a very unique situation the Sedins are in though. While the Richards were 15 years apart in age and only teammates for five years, and the Espositos were on different teams playing completely different positions, the Sedins are teammates in their prime and both among the elite top forwards in the game. The only other situation comparable to that in any sport in the last 60 years would be the Williams sisters in tennis.

Last edited:

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Sedins need to maintain their current pace for a decade and become two of the best playoff players ever to match the Richards. Highly unlikely. Passing the Conachers and Bentleys is going to be tough, but is possible.

^This.

....and that is without taking into consideration the Espo Bros.

IggyFan12

Jul 26, 2010
Sutter Brothers and almost 5000 games say Hello. I think the Niedermayer brothers are also higher than Daniel and Henrik. Richards are the clear cut number 1. If you look at the Sedins record before last year it wasn't all that impressive. I respect the Sedins (as much as a Flames fan can) but they still got a long way to be considered the best brothers.

As for Forsberg and Iginla mentioned earlier.....Not to derail the thread but I respectfully disagree. I would much rather take a player like Iginla over Forsberg any day of the week. I was the biggest Avalanche fan growing up because of Sakic and the Avalanche don't win a single Cup if you take away Sakic but they won a Cup without Forsberg. The point is Forsberg was able to put up huge numbers while playing on a team with 2 of the best lines in the league. Iginla has and continues to put up huge numbers while being basically the only threat. If you replace Forsberg with Iginla on the Avalanche I think they win another Cup. Hey I could be wrong we will never know thats just my 2 cents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->