secret vote as per rds.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAN-HAB

Vancouver Habitant
Sep 3, 2003
West Kelowna
as per rds http://rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/170420.html
a secret vote took place Wed, the majority of players voted to return even with a salary cap.
Sorry if it has been posted already

"Un vote secret

Selon Stan Fischler, columnist à MSG Network, le joueur d’une équipe de la Ligue nationale – insistant pour garder l’anonymat – lui aurait mentionné qu’à l’occasion d’un vote secret, effectué mercredi, ses coéquipiers avaient voté en majorité pour un retour au travail malgré un plafond salarial."

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
VAN-HAB said:
a secret vote took place Wed, the majority of players voted to return even with a salary cap.

"Un vote secret

Selon Stan Fischler, columnist à MSG Network, le joueur d’une équipe de la Ligue nationale – insistant pour garder l’anonymat – lui aurait mentionné qu’à l’occasion d’un vote secret, effectué mercredi, ses coéquipiers avaient voté en majorité pour un retour au travail malgré un plafond salarial."
stan fischler? jeez i had my hopes up when i hit the link and than i saw the words stan fischler followed by a few words i remembered from high school french. the translation and i could be wrong about this is

"stan fischler a columnist at msg network made up a story that the nhlpa took a secret vote earlier this week"

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
VAN-HAB said:

"Un vote secret

Can someone translate the article. Thanks.

VAN-HAB

Vancouver Habitant
Sep 3, 2003
West Kelowna
Son of Steinbrenner said:
stan fischler? jeez i had my hopes up when i hit the link and than i saw the words stan fischler followed by a few words i remembered from high school french. the translation and i could be wrong about this is

"stan fischler a columnist at msg network made up a story that the nhlpa took a secret vote earlier this week"
no it doesn't say "made up a story" unless you are being sarcastic. I will translate the whole thing later on.

VAN-HAB

Vancouver Habitant
Sep 3, 2003
West Kelowna
As per Stan Fiscler, a writer at MSG Network, an NHL player-no name given-would have told him that during a secret vote, that took place wed, players voted in majority to return to work even with a salary cap

Oilers Ent

Aug 31, 2002
Burnaby, BC
robandgen.blogspot.com
A secret vote According to Stan Fischler, columnist with MSG Network, the player of a team of the national League - insistent to keep anonymity - would have mentioned to him that at the time of a secret vote, carried out Wednesday, its fellow-members had voted in majority for a return to work in spite of a wage ceiling. The known as player would have communicated the result of the vote to the representatives of the Association of the players and whom it would nicely have been made give to his place. The initiative taken by the known as player should not it be imitated by Bob Goodenow. Would it have courage to ask the members to take a secret vote in order to better know their state of heart? The problem in this history, it is that the player who took the initiative of the secret vote does not want that its name is mentioned. It does not want to work out more on all the step which it carried out to come to such a result. Why? Because he does not want to be the first to pose such a gesture, it says. Ca gives you a small idea of the influence which Bob Goodenow has on the members of Association.

Thanks to Google.ca

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
VAN-HAB said:
no it doesn't say "made up a story" unless you are being sarcastic. I will translate the whole thing later on.
:lol:

i was just being sarcastic. as somebody that has grown up listening to fischler rumors i can honestly say the hockey maven should stick to the new york subways and stay out of hockey.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Paraphrase translation is:

According to Stan Fishcler, a player on a NHL team organized a secret vote amogst his teammates. The result was a majority wanted to start playing again with a salary cap.

This player tried to communicate the results of the vote to representatives of the player association, but what rebuffed by the NHLPA. Goodenow doesn't want these sorts of votes taking place, and won't embark on a league wide player vote.

Now, the player who initiated this vote doesn't want to speak out, due to the rammifications that will have. The article insuiates that this is because of the current atmosphere at the NHLPA.

Now, this is interesting, but essentialy meaningless. If Goodenow is getting screamed at to make a deal, even if it has a cap, to save the season, he will do so. But he won't due so until he is sure the owners won't crack (which I think we are almost at that point). It is why their will be no possible resolution until the season is either cancelled, or about to be cancelled. And it is why I *think* the next move is going to be some sort of deadline set by SOMEONE to save the season (and I think the players themselves could set such a deadline).

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
How credible is this?

If this is the case every player should come out in the media because they obviously could careless about what Goodenow has to say and maybe this will finally be resolved.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
i wouldn't be shocked if this is true. apparently many players have warmed up to the idea of the cap (as per the McGuire rumour). I feel bad for these guys if this is true. They risk a huge backlash form Goodenow if they speak up...but their silence is deafening while fans continue to lay the blame entirely on them. im sure the NHL would be fully aware of this as both sides must have insiders/snitches providing scoops from the other side.

it seems like goodenow is running them off a cliff. but, i highly doubt he'd do such a thing which would cause a revolt. he's got to be bluffing and could blink at the very last second...perhaps wanting to catch the NHL off-gaurd so as to consummate a hard cap deal with holes in it.

in any event, things are getting interesting as some players are hitting the panic button. so are GMs and scouts as its possible many people in management could lose their jobs.

Panic%20Button.gif

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Well I personally know 2 players that would work under a cap starting yesterday. The story has some credibility but Goodenow won't hear of it and the NHLPA muzzle and intimidation continues. Players are allowed to speak as long as they say what Bob wants them to say.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
eye said:
Well I personally know 2 players that would work under a cap starting yesterday. The story has some credibility but Goodenow won't hear of it and the NHLPA muzzle and intimidation continues. Players are allowed to speak as long as they say what Bob wants them to say.

So who are these 2 players that you personally know of ....

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
So who are these 2 players that you personally know of ....

I can't post their names for obvious reasons. They are friends and are scared to death of speaking out in public for fear of being black balled by some high priced vets and NHLPA execs. Same reason Pierre McGuire and Stan Fishler can't reveal their sources. Use some common sense. IMHO, I think way more than half of all players would return to work right away under a cost linkage system. From an average fans perspective what is so bad about a system that levels out the playing field or at least starts all 30 teams off on the same starting line.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
eye said:
I can't post their names for obvious reasons. They are friends and are scared to death of speaking out in public for fear of being black balled by some high priced vets and NHLPA execs. Same reason Pierre McGuire and Stan Fishler can't reveal their sources. Use some common sense. IMHO, I think way more than half of all players would return to work right away under a cost linkage system. From an average fans perspective what is so bad about a system that levels out the playing field or at least starts all 30 teams off on the same starting line.

Tell your friends that unless they do speak out, they may have to go out and get a real job that pays considerably less than their current occupation. It's over, the PA lost and they need to hear from their "lesser" members to give it proper direction.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Well Fischler has lost all credibility with me. But its amazing how many sports media people are trying to break the union and stir this stuff up. Mcguire is really irritating in this regard. Our local announcers here in Ottawa radio would stoop to any level to try and make something out of nothing or out of honest difficult thinking by the players. Its a tough issue, its natural they are going to have to make difficult decisions, this is what the owners are trying to do.

But the secret vote appears to be a sham. The players are still very united. The union cant accept a cap.

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
thinkwild said:
Well Fischler has lost all credibility with me. But its amazing how many sports media people are trying to break the union and stir this stuff up. Mcguire is really irritating in this regard. Our local announcers here in Ottawa radio would stoop to any level to try and make something out of nothing or out of honest difficult thinking by the players. Its a tough issue, its natural they are going to have to make difficult decisions, this is what the owners are trying to do.

But the secret vote appears to be a sham. The players are still very united. The union cant accept a cap.

are you trying to convince yourself?

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Son of Steinbrenner said:
:lol:

i was just being sarcastic. as somebody that has grown up listening to fischler rumors i can honestly say the hockey maven should stick to the new york subways and stay out of hockey.
I'm just surprised he doesn't write for the New York Post.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
eye said:

just a heads up...HF has a rule against claiming "inside info" without some sort of proof.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
deathbear said:
so what? it's not like he made a thread about it, he just said it in here.

"so what" is that it's unsubstantiated information, and it's no different that my coming on and saying, "i ran into gary bettman last night and he told me the lockout would end on tuesday."

there's a rule about it for a reason. there are sites like HTR for junk like that.

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
nomorekids said:
"so what" is that it's unsubstantiated information, and it's no different that my coming on and saying, "i ran into gary bettman last night and he told me the lockout would end on tuesday."

there's a rule about it for a reason. there are sites like HTR for junk like that.

that's not junk. what if he really does have those connections? it's interesting anyway, and it's not like he's shoving it down anyone's throats.

and you know what else? there's so little **** to talk about these days anyway, this is at least SOMETHING however small it may be, to whet our appetities.

case in point, i could easily get the goods on what a certain dallas stars player feels about the lockout. would i mention his name? no, for the same reason as the previous poster. does this make me illegit? i'd like to think that it certainly diminishes my credibility, but chances are there a good number of people who'd like to read about it anyway.

Onion Boy

Jan 29, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
A couple weeks ago on MSG, Fischler mentioned that he thought the NHLPA should conduct a secret ballot regarding a salary cap. I wonder if this RDS story stems from that at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->