Prospect Info: second round targets

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We going to pic nice player at first round , but second round excite the most . We have 3 second round pics . Sometimes Holland getting pics not belongs to this round (lil Bert) sometimes he likes to get uninspected dropouts (Veleno , Zadina). Hope we aren't wasting second round on goaltender . There are plenty great players at second round , actually the best player from 2011 was drafted by StevyY late second round
Who should we target ?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
It is going to be another Homer - Simon Holmstrom , already they compare him to Nyquist

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Here’s a copy/paste of what I posted from the Draft thread:

Since we have 3 second rounders, here are some guys I like for round 2...

C: Philip Tomasino, Jamieson Rees, Ryder Donovan, Nikita Alexandrov
W: Nick Robertson, Egor Afansyev, Brayden Tracey, Maxim Cajkovic
D: Kaedan Korczak, Marshall Warren, Ben Brinkman, Alex Vlasic
G: Hunter Jones, Mads Sogaard,
Pyotr Kochetkov

Last edited:

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan

D: Kaedan Korczak, Marshall Warren, Ben Brinkman, Alex Vlasic, Ryan Johnson
Pyotr Kochetkov

Add Kolyachonok, Doroforyev, and Blake Murray and I like this list a lot!

I could also see a guy like Arthur Kaliyev and Thomas Harley dropping to our first pick in the second, and I’d take a long hard look at both of them.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Add Kolyachonok, Doroforyev, and Blake Murray and I like this list a lot!

I could also see a guy like Arthur Kaliyev and Thomas Harley dropping to our first pick in the second, and I’d take a long hard look at both of them.

Wish I knew more about Dorofeyev. Have not seen him or Seider play this year, but I’ve heard a lot of people love them.

I doubt Kaliyev lasts to round 2 even with his issues. I believe he came in at #13 on Bob’s mid-season list and he has since hit 50 goals.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
I was really hoping we could have landed another first cause I really like soderstrom/broberg, oh well

Our 3rd rounder is pretty much a late second so it’s 4 picks to be excited about imo, I’m so hoping the islanders collapse and somehow miss the playoffs and sharks get outed first round so we don’t miss out on some potential gems ...loads to like from 32+ for me

Hoping to get Beecher with our first second and puistola and fagemo intrigue me

Drew Helleson at eliteprospects.com

Samuel Fagemo at eliteprospects.com

John Beecher at eliteprospects.com

Ryder Donovan at eliteprospects.com

John Farinacci at eliteprospects.com

Marcus Kallionkieli at eliteprospects.com

Marshall Warren at eliteprospects.com

Patrik Puistola at eliteprospects.com

Pavel Dorofeyev at eliteprospects.com

Tobias Björnfot at eliteprospects.com

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/347571/mikko-kokkonen

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/344757/simon-lundmark

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/284030/ronnie-attard

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

D: Kaedan Korczak, Marshall Warren, Ben Brinkman, Alex Vlasic
Pyotr Kochetkov

This isn't a knock on anything, but an actual question regarding Hunter Jones? I know he is the 2nd rated goalie in the upcoming draft behind Spencer Knight, and obviously I don't get to watch him play. However, just by looking at stats, he doesn't have great stats, even by junior goalie standards. We do need to go after goalies this year I believe, as we really don't have anyone exciting at all. Anyways, the question is, what kind of goalie is he?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I’d trade the lower two for a mid first if possible.

To me this is always dependent on whatever the drop off of talent is between a late 1st and earlier 2nd. If the drop isn't much, I would rather have 2 picks than just one. If there is someone you absolutely love, than I say go for it, trying to move up, as long as the cost isn't too high.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I'd would too (maybe Holland could snooker some team) but those 2 picks will probably be in the 50's range. I don't think that's enough for even a late first. Anaheim has the Blues 1st and need to re-stock so maybe there is a trade possibility.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

Given the expected value from picks it rarely makes sense to trade 2 2nds for mid or late 1st. Unless someone who you have ranked as a top 5/10 pick falls like Forsberg, Connor, Barzal, etc. It doesnt make sense to trade up.

But there's a lot of talent in this years 2nd round. It seems like there are a lot of talented players that may have size concerns that could fall to us at our 2nd/3rd round picks.

Some players that I'd like to see us target in the 2nd/3rd are: Afanasyev, Mastrosimone, Firstov, Grewe, Roberston, Rees, Brink, and Dorofeyev. I really just hope we double down on players with skill/speed/hockey IQ.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Would you trade Berggren and McIsaac for Dobson for example

I know this is intended for Shaman, but for me at this point, not a chance in hell. I was extremely high on Dobson, but the apparent theme from our draft this last year is capitalizing on other teams passing on talent. Veleno has found a different level this year. Berggren looked very good in camp. McIsaac looks to be stepping up in a big way. The chances of this happening regularly is not high at all, so it doesn't mean I wouldn't make the trade this year, but last year is not a good representation of the norm. Based exclusively on what we have seen since the draft, it feels as if we drafted 4 players who should have been first round picks, imo.

Avery Rule

Jun 1, 2010
I wouldn't mind grabbing Trent Miner or Colten Ellis, wouldn't be a second round pick but I like them both.

Not really sure in the second who i would like, wouldn't mind Nolan Foote falling into early second :D

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I'm hoping that a couple members of Yzerman's scouting staff come with him, assuming he rejoins the franchise this offseason. The org will go with what the current staff have been working on all season, but we have two 2nds and two 3rds (could be three 2nds if conditions of Nyquist trade come through) next year.

Looking back at the Lightning's drafts since Yzerman got there, a lot of players who have at least solid NHL roles come out of rounds 2 and 3. Some are franchise pieces like Kucherov and Point.

Reactions: lilidk

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Beecher and farinacci have nice upside since they’re buried on the u.s teams with hughes etc... and can have untapped potential

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
The idea of trading up is nice but in reality its pretty costly. Two late seconds might get us a late 1st. Two early seconds might have gotten us a pick around 20ish last year; certainly not the kind of pick where you can draft a dobson type of prospect.

The idea of getting another top 15 pick seems very unlikely. I don't think we would get a pick higher than 22ish even if we packaged all 3 of our second round picks together.

What does it cost to trade up in the draft?

Reactions: Oddbob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad