Speculation: Second Half Predictions

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Smith's play drops off (or he gets injured and can't play). We're 30th in the league after the TDL. Smith goes on a lights-out streak to elevate us to 27th. Hanzal gets traded at the deadline for a high value because the state of the league is very few sellers and a lot of buyers.

We win the draft lottery in a weak draft year. Doan retires. Chayka gets fired but not Tippett. We make some shuffle moves prior to the expansion draft. Our relocation to Kansas City is announced on July 30th. Tucson Roadrunners move up to Phoenix and become affiliated with Las Vegas. Some AHL franchise somewhere (I don't care to cynically/sarcastically or seriously predict where it will be) gets created to serve as Kansas City's affiliate.
Yours kind of scares me, probably because it's highly plausible.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
My Predictions:

1. Smith plays like a god coming back from the All-Star break until he gets hurt in late February.

2. Perlini surges in the second half of the season with a more expanded role thanks to.....

3. Dave Tippet gets fired

4. Doan (50%) gets traded at the trade deadline to Montreal for 2017 3rd (unite the cousins for a playoff run and hopefully for that elusive Stanley Cup)

5. Vrbata + Hanzal (50%) get traded to Chicago for Kruger + 2017 1st

6. Keller signs with the Coyotes after the season ends

7. We finish 2nd to last to colorado who wins the lottery and drafts Patrick. In turn, we take Nico 2nd overall and Henri Jokiharju (RHD who plays for Portland in the W) with Chicago's pick.

Edit: wouldn't mind taking on of the Canadians goalies they have in the system (Lindgren seems to be performing very nicely in the AHL and he's not going anywhere with Price/Montoya locked up for a few years.)

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
1. Coyotes finish 29th and draft 3rd (hello Nico)

2. Smith comes back from ASG weekend and is a complete train wreck until a season ending injury in Dallas Feb 24

3. Doan announces retirement on March 1.

4. Hanzal traded to Montreal for McCarron, Plekanec (25% retained) and 2018 2nd (best of the 3 MTL has). Plekanec helps AZ reach cap floor in '17-'18, Mtl clears cap space

5. Stone (50% retained) traded to NYR for 2017 3rd and 2018 2nd (lowest of the 2 they have)

6. Vrbata and 2017 Det 3rd (owned by AZ) traded to Chicago for 2017 1st.

Hanzal has nowhere near that kind of value. At 50% retention he maybe gets McCarron alone.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Since McCarron's name seems to come up a lot on the trade board, I've looked into him a bit and I'm not sure it's unreasonable that Hanzal @50% could get more than McCarron alone. I don't think you'd get a .5 pgg center with him but you get the idea.

There are reasons why he might not either but I think those go more to how much Montreal might like McCarron and not so much pure value. Default assumption has been that Hanzal should be at least worth what Vermette got if he's healthy. That's a Late first +.

McCarron himself was a late first and I'm not really seeing what he's done to massively raise his stock other than Montreals probable position of welikeourguyittis. 1 good AHL season and a few cups of coffee.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm not sure it does. Merkley certainly has fallen but there are a good number of players in McCarron's circumstance and a decent number of them are in our prospect pool.

I wouldn't call Fabbro or McAvoy for McCarron an even swap for example, both considered by most to be top 50 prospects and were drafted in the middle of the first. You get top 50 prospects in the middle of the first pretty routinely. McCarron with a few quickie google searches doesn't seem to rank that high according to most of the recent lists.

To be fair, I haven't seen him play so maybe he's just underrated right now by the list makers. But if Hanzal is worth 30th + something minimum I have a hard time believing McCarron is worth substantially more then that when he's not even that highly regarded at the moment. Montreal might not do it because there isn't enough in it for them, but that doesn't mean someone is actually going to pay substantially more for McCarron either.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Hanzal has nowhere near that kind of value. At 50% retention he maybe gets McCarron alone.
Agreed, that's why I assumed MTL getting rid of Plekanec (negative value player with another year at $6m cap hit/$5m actual $) offset the cost. Plekanic's cap hit is double Marty's....so it'd be same as retaining 50% on Marty.

Also, I believe the Coyotes can only retain $$ on one player given they're retaining on Ribz and Vermette. Marty/$3.1m or Stone/$4m...if Stone is moved for picks then it needs to be Stone.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Smith's play drops off (or he gets injured and can't play). We're 30th in the league after the TDL. Smith goes on a lights-out streak to elevate us to 27th. Hanzal gets traded at the deadline for a high value because the state of the league is very few sellers and a lot of buyers.

We win the draft lottery in a weak draft year. Doan retires. Chayka gets fired but not Tippett. We make some shuffle moves prior to the expansion draft. Our relocation to Kansas City is announced on July 30th. Tucson Roadrunners move up to Phoenix and become affiliated with Las Vegas. Some AHL franchise somewhere (I don't care to cynically/sarcastically or seriously predict where it will be) gets created to serve as Kansas City's affiliate.

Omaha would make sense

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
1. Coyotes ownership caves to intense pressure from online fan sites and buys out Tippet. Lamb is brought up to finish the season.

2. Hanzal is bought out a month after signing an extension when it's revealed he'll miss next season for another back surgery.

3. Domi comes back and the Coyotes go on a winning streak until just two points shy of the playoffs, then lose the final game to Edmonton. We pick 12th.

4. Las Vegas signs Ribeiro, drafts Vermette from Anaheim, and in a surprise move take Bolland's and Hanzal's contracts from the Coyotes, who both say they're feeling much better. They also immediately sign Dave Tippett to a 5 year contract.

5. Las Vegas wins the cup in their inaugural season and Coyotes management files and wins a suit against the league forcing them to inscribe the entire Coyotes ownership group's names on the cup due to them having the head coach and entire center core from the cup winner under contract at the time.

Last edited:

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
Hanzal gets injured two weeks before the trade deadline. Vrbata gets traded for a 4th rounder.

Young players able to be sent down, are sent down.

Coyotes sign an undrafted college player and a washed up player out of Europe, then claim a few out of the waiver bin.

Coyotes go .600 down the stretch and finish 12th in the west, pick 6th overall.

Doan announces retirement a couple days before the last home game.

LV mostly ignores the Coyotes in the expansion draft.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Well, they clearly didn't listen to any of the NHL execs saying things like, "now they're going to do it the stupid way", so I doubt they're really listening to anybody outside their circle. They're the smartest guys in the room, and it's working out great on the ice, as you can plainly see.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
For one reason or another, Hanzal does not get traded.
Smith will be injured in the next ten games and out for the season.
Perlini will end the season with 20 goals.
Dvorak will become our top C.
Domi and Duclair will not play on the same line because it makes way to much sense.
Stone will be traded to the oilers with a pick for Eberle.
Burmi will surprise when he finally gets here.
Doan reties.
And we somehow lose way more games then we win yet somehow Colorado with its high powered offence ends up still worse and hold 1OA position in the draft while we lose the lottery to draft 4th.

rt

May 13, 2004
OEL for Reinhart, Fasching, and Guhle
Hanzal for McCarron and Desharnais
Stone (retention) for Xavier Ouellet
Vrbata (retention) for Ville Pokka
Doan (retention) for '18 3rd

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
So I read several comments mentioning this may be the last season in Arizona? Are things really that bad?

rt

May 13, 2004
So I read several comments mentioning this may be the last season in Arizona? Are things really that bad?

The ASU "deal" amounts to ASU saying "Sure, if you can raise all of your own funds, you can put your arena in our sports complex we're building anyway". And the Ice Edge Clown Posse saying "We're gonna use a special tax district!" and every important politician that would have a say in such a thing being quoted along the lines of "I have no idea where they got that idea. This is first I've heard of it. I have no interest in the use of public funds for that". Then six months have passed without a word about any of it.

The Coyotes aren't viewed as essential. Not by Glendale. Not by ASU. Not by Tempe or Scottsdale. Not by Tribes. Not by the state.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

The Tempe deal doesn't look promising, so unless IA and glendale can bury the hatchet it may be. Year to year deals while an arena is built elsewhere are possible I suppose. Still a crap shoot really, like it always has been, but when IA appears to have all their eggs in the Tempe basket, and Tempe isn't sold on the idea, it's a serious concern.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
- Perlini and Dvorak both start to see ice time increase

- With about 9 games left, we may bring up a few players like Fischer and Wood just to give them some time, see where they have progressed to

- We then send all of our AHL eligible players down to Tucson. Very strong chance that adding Perlini, Wood, Dvorak, Dauphin, and Fischer back down once NHL season is over will be enough to make a strong case for a run at the AHL title. (Side question: Chychrun is not AHL eligible, correct?)

- I am probably over-shooting, but will go with 37 points in the 2nd half here. One half of those will come in the last 15 games or so.

- Hanzal will get traded to Columbus for Zaar, 2nd and 4th round conditional picks. (Becomes a 1st alone if CBJ wins Cup)

- Z may get thrown in to a trade as an add-in retained?

- The current core stays together, but I think that the following names will be a part of trade questions, and we should politely respond with "nos": Duclair, Schenn, OEL, Strome

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Eberle huh? What pick did you have in mind? 32nd overall? Stone+AZ '17 2nd. Think EDM would go for that?
I'm not sure rt. I know Edmonton doesn't have much in the way of RHD and they seem like they are losing interest in Eberle so I'm just guessing. It seems like it might be good for both teams and both players but I don't think they are too far apart in value imho. But I have not heard anything about this anywhere so just a wild guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad