Second and final attempt at mock draft

Iceman78

Jan 6, 2006
Bayonne, NJ
I revised my previous mock draft to fix some of the complaints given. Pittsburgh trades down with Phoenix, picking up perhaps Keith Ballard. The career potentials are my prediction of each player's capacity should they ever reach 100% of their projected strengths. The style similar to gimmick is just to give the reader a better understanding of the player; I do not in anyway believe that each pick will become the epitomized player or have a career as renown as the given player.

1. St. Louis Blues: Erik Johnson, D
Erik Johnson will become the anchor to the Blues' organization for the next decade. He is the prototypical franchise defenseman in the mold of Chris Pronger and Scott Stevens. There is no flaw to his game, and he will only get better.
Career potential: Franchise defenseman
Style similar to: Chris Pronger

2. Phoenix Coyotes (From Pittsburgh): Phil Kessel
The Coyotes trade up to select Kessel hoping that he will live up to the projection as a phenom. They overlook his slightly disappointing second half since they believe he will become their #1 center.
Career potential: Franchise center
Style similar to: Mike Modano

3. Chicago Blackhawks: Jordan Staal
With Kessel off the board and Tuomo Ruutu's health in question, the Blackhawks take Staal believing he will translate his game into a premier power forward in the NHL. If he's even 75% the player Eric is, this could be a steal for Chicago at pick no. 3.
Career potential: First line center
Style similar to: Eric Staal

4. Washington Capitals: Jonathan Toews, C
Ovechkin needs a center and Toews fits the bill. His two-way instincts are second to none in this draft class. Likewise, he is a very safe pick in the top five because he is not one-dimensional.
Style similar to: In-his-prime Trevor Linden

5. Boston Bruins: Nicklas Backstrom, C
The Bruins need an offensive center to replace Thornton as well as to take the offensive load off of Patrice Bergeron and Brad Boyes. They instantly become an NHL team with a great 1-2 punch.
Style similar to: Peter Forsberg

6. Columbus Blue Jackets: Peter Mueller, C
I could see the Jackets trading down and selecting Sanguinetti or Williams, but if they remain here, they draft BPA in Mueller to complement Brule.
Career potential: First/second line center
Style similar to: Mike Peca

7. New York Islanders: Michael Frolik, RW
The Islanders hope that Frolik's previous season was a fluke and that he will regain his form that made scouts predict him as a top 5 pick last year. If he regains form, he will look great on Yashin's wing.
Career potential: First line winger
Style similar to: Miro Satan

8. Pittsburgh Penguins (from Phoenix): Jiri Tlusty, LW
The Penguins trade down with the Phoenix to grab more prospects or picks since they wanted Johnson badly. At the number 8 spot, they draft the skilled left winger out of the Czech Republic. The Pens believe Tlusty will look great flying on Crosby's wing.
Career potential: First line winger
Style similar to: Patrik Elias

9. Minnesota Wild: Kyle Okposo, RW
The Wild go with the Minnesota native and gain a great two-way forward whom they hope will gel with O'Sullivan in the future. He is a very safe pick. I don't believe he will be a first line winger, but he will bring secondary scoring to the Wild.
Career potential: Second line winger
Style similar to: Mark Bell

10. Florida Panthers: Bob Sanguinetti, D
Instead of drafting Chris Stewart to play alongside his brother, the Panthers realize that their defense prospects are suspect now and select the offensive whiz in Sanguinetti. A defense corps built around Bouwmeester, Van Ryn, and Sanguinetti will do damage in the future.
Career potential: #2 defenseman
Style similar to: Brian Rafalski

11. Los Angeles Kings: Nigel Williams, D
The Kings decide to take Williams slightly earlier than many expected. His potential and size are just too good to pass up to an organization that lacks a franchise defenseman. Not saying that Williams will ever become just that, but he should develop into a solid No. 2 or 3 defenseman.
Career potential: #2 defenseman
Style similar to: Eric Brewer

12. Atlanta Thrashers: Derrick Brassard, C
The Thrashers stop Brassard's freefall and select him believing he will be their legitimate number one center. With Savard's UFA status, the Thrashers have to look forward to hoping for Kovalchuk's setup man.
Career potential: #1 center
Style similar to: Joe Sakic

13. Toronto Maple Leafs: Bryan Little
Little drops a bit in the draft to fall into the laps of the Leafs. The OHL's awarded "best playmaker" will hopefully ease the loss of Sundin should he retire within the next 5 years.
Career potential: #2 Center
Style similar to: Scott Gomez

14. Vancouver Canucks: James Sheppard, LW
With the tier one centers off the board, the Canucks go BPA and select the power forward prospect in Sheppard. Although prone to penalties, Sheppard could become a great leader on the second line.
Style similar to: Todd Bertuzzi

15. Tampa Bay Lightning: Ty Wishart, D
With the potential of Kubina leaving, the Lightning select stalwart Wishart in hopes of solidifying their defensive corps a few years down the road.
Career potential: #3 stalwart defenseman
Style similar to: Adam Foote

16. Montreal Canadians: Chris Stewart, RW
With the best defense prospects off the board that the Canadiens sorely need, Montreal again just drafts BPA, the apparent trend of the first round. Stewart could develop into a good power forward to play with Koivu.
Style similar to: Jarome Iginla

17. Minnesota Wild: Ryan White, C
The Wild make a safe pick here, selecting Ryan White. White is almost a definite shot to make the NHL, but will never put up huge numbers.
Career potential: Second line role-playing center
Style similar to: Mike Fisher

18. Colorado Avalanche: Ivan Vishnevsky, D
The Avalanche have no depth at defense really and that could get worse if Blake leaves Colorado. Vishnevsky's offensive potential from the back-end is uncharted and he could easily develop into the next Gonchar.
Career potential: #3 defenseman
Style similar to: Sergei Gonchar

19. Anahiem Mighty Ducks: Patrik Berglund, C
The Mighty Ducks select the offensive stud Swede believing he has the potential to form a great 1-2 punch with Getzlaf in the future.
Career potential: Second line center
Style similar to: Pavel Datsyuk

20. San Jose Sharks: Alexander Vasyunov, LW
Much like they shocked the draft room by trading up to get Setoguchi last year, the Sharks make more noise this year by taking a risky selection in Vasyunov. He brings an amazing scoring touch that if he reaches his potential, will become a mainstay on the Sharks' top line.
Career potential: Hit-or-miss First line winger
Style similar to: Ilya Kovalchuk

21. New York Rangers: Mark Mitera, D
Continuing last year's winning formula of hard work, the Rangers select steady defenseman, Mark Mitera. Much like Marc Staal, Mitera excels at the defensive side of the puck, which will only augment the Rangers' future runs.
Style similar to: Colin White

22. Philadelphia Flyers: David Fischer, D
With no holes up front to note, the Flyers select a safe pick in David Fischer who could become a solid No. 3 defenseman. Fischer does not have a real strength or weakness to his game. This could make him the perfect partner for Pitkanen in the future.
Style similar to: Alexei Zhitnik

23. Washington Capitals: Dennis Persson, D
The Capitals go off the board a little bit to select the offensive-minded Persson out of Sweden. Since the trade of Gonchar, the Capitals' defense has lacked a true quarterback. The Caps hope Persson can solidify the impressive future D corps headlined by Eminger and Green.
Career potential: Power play quarterback/#4 defenseman
Style similar to: Lubomir Visnovsky

24. Buffalo Sabres: Jonathan Bernier, G
With no real holes on their team or farm, the Sabres go BPA and draft the top goalie in the draft class. With Miller in net, the Sabres don't have to rush the Quebec goalie.
Career potential: Starting goalie
Style similar to: Martin Brodeur

25. New Jersey Devils: Chris Summers, D
With glaring holes on defense in the Devils farm system, they select the best defenseman at this point in the draft. Summers could become a solid second-pairing defenseman a few years down the road. He is defensively sound and there is room for his offensive game to grow. His strong work ethic makes him the prototypical Devil.
Style similar to: Filip Kuba

26. Calgary Flames: Ben Maxwell, C
The Flames, who have arguably the best defensive corps in the NHL, select a center who is noted for two-way abilities. The Flames can afford to let Maxwell refine his game.
Style similar to: Mike Comrie

27. Dallas Stars: Joe Ryan, D
The Stars, since the departure of Hatcher, no longer have a defenseman that opponents fear. Ryan could develop into a hard-hitting stalwart that, with the right development of hard-hitting Fistric, could once again make the Stars blueline a physical force to be reckoned with.
Career potential: #4 defensive defenseman
Style similar to: Anton Volchenkov

28. Ottawa Senators: Cory Emmerton, C
The Senators draft BPA, confident that Meszaros and Lee will ease the potential loss of one of Redden or Chara. Emmerton will one day bring the Sens an offensive-minded centerman to take all of the load of off Jason Spezza.
Style similar to: Scott Gomez

29. Detroit Red Wings: Vladimir Zharkov, RW
The Red Wings are noted for finding diamonds in the rough. Zharkov's goal scoring prowess and fiery attitude could prove to be another steal for Detroit.
Style similar to: Alexander Frolov

30. St. Louis Blues: Tomas Marcinko, C
With their second pick of the round, the Blues select an offensive-minded centerman they hope can ease the departures of both Weight and Demitra in the past year and a half. If he learns to use his mammoth frame, the Blues could have a good one on their hands.
Style similar to: Jason Arnott

Last edited:

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Good mock, but Sheppard is not slipping past the nucks as far as I'm concerned. Sheppard is nothing like Bertuzzi also, he's more like a harding working Jason Arnott. Sheppard is going to be a nuck if he lasts that long.

IMO Marcinko plays alot of Bonk(when he didnt stink). Also Kessell doesn't have Modano's two way game. He is NOTHING like Modano IMO, he's much more like Kariya. Also Kessell is a winger is he not?

Iceman78

Jan 6, 2006
Bayonne, NJ
Russian_fanatic said:
Good mock, but Sheppard is not slipping past the nucks as far as I'm concerned. Sheppard is nothing like Bertuzzi also, he's more like a harding working Jason Arnott. Sheppard is going to be a nuck if he lasts that long.

IMO Marcinko plays alot of Bonk(when he didnt stink). Also Kessell doesn't have Modano's two way game. He is NOTHING like Modano IMO, he's much more like Kariya. Also Kessell is a winger is he not?

I'm glad you reminded me; I meant to change the Vancouver pick. It's fixed now.
I knew I forgot something when I finished the re-do.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Pretty good although I don't think YOUR mock should be revised or done up to please people here.

The most glaring complaint I have is comparing Jordan Staal to his brother. The only thing in common they have in style is their last name. Jordan is alot like Rick Nash.

Iceman78

Jan 6, 2006
Bayonne, NJ
Balej's Dance said:
Pretty good although I don't think YOUR mock should be revised or done up to please people here.

I welcome constructive criticism though. If other's comments refine your approach to something, I think you should listen to their comments. It's not done up to please people; I just corrected myself because many people here know a lot more about prospects than me.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
basketcase78 said:
I welcome constructive criticism though. If other's comments refine your approach to something, I think you should listen to their comments. It's not done up to please people; I just corrected myself because many people here know a lot more about prospects than me.

You'd be surprised.

You'd be surprised at how definitively people can speak about a prospect after having never seen him play.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I really don't think Kessel would be a wise choice. He doesn't seem to me like a #1 center. #1A, maybe, but not the kind of guy who could lead a team or play in all situations. He'll be a great offensive player, but not what the Coyotes need.

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
basketcase78 said:
20. San Jose Sharks: Alexander Vasyunov, LW
Much like they shocked the draft room by trading up to get Setoguchi last year, the Sharks make more noise this year by taking a risky selection in Vasyunov. He brings an amazing scoring touch that if he reaches his potential, will become a mainstay on the Sharks' top line.
Career potential: Hit-or-miss First line winger
Style similar to: Ilya Kovalchuk

Similar to Kovalchuck minus Kovy's defensive game. :cry:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Works for me as a Pens fan, I like Tlusty a lot.

There seem to be a growing contingent of people who think that the Pens will push hard to trade up, and failing that (likely), will wind up moving down for extra picks.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
PhoPhan said:
I really don't think Kessel would be a wise choice. He doesn't seem to me like a #1 center. #1A, maybe, but not the kind of guy who could lead a team or play in all situations. He'll be a great offensive player, but not what the Coyotes need.
He'd be a great Coyote. But not at the expense of Ballard and the guy the Yotes can get at 8.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
basketcase78 said:
I revised my previous mock draft to fix some of the complaints given. Pittsburgh trades down with Phoenix, picking up perhaps Keith Ballard. The career potentials are my prediction of each player's capacity should they ever reach 100% of their projected strengths. The style similar to gimmick is just to give the reader a better understanding of the player; I do not in anyway believe that each pick will become the epitomized player or have a career as renown as the given player.

1. St. Louis Blues: Erik Johnson, D
Erik Johnson will become the anchor to the Blues' organization for the next decade. He is the prototypical franchise defenseman in the mold of Chris Pronger and Scott Stevens. There is no flaw to his game, and he will only get better.
Career potential: Franchise defenseman
Style similar to: Chris Pronger

<< snip >>

30. St. Louis Blues: Tomas Marcinko, C
With their second pick of the round, the Blues select an offensive-minded centerman they hope can ease the departures of both Weight and Demitra in the past year and a half. If he learns to use his mammoth frame, the Blues could have a good one on their hands.
Style similar to: Jason Arnott

Johnson at the top of the draft is pretty much a foregone conclusion by now.

While I like Marcinko, I can't see any way the Blues reach for him at #30, when there are so many guys ranked much higher than him that would still be on the table. Trevor Lewis, Ondrej Fiala, or Codey Burki would be a much more likely choice in that spot.

P_B

:bow: :blues

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
I don't think the Lightning select Wishart to "solidifying their defensive corps a few years down the road" considering they have taken a defenseman with their first pick every year since 2002.

Iceman78

Jan 6, 2006
Bayonne, NJ
Patrick said:
I don't think the Lightning select Wishart to "solidifying their defensive corps a few years down the road" considering they have taken a defenseman with their first pick every year since 2002.

I think they'll either take a defenseman like Wishart or Bernier in goal. They really don't need more first line-caliber forwards since they've already handcuffed themselves by commiting so much money to Lecavlier, Richards, and St. Louis longterm. Offense was never the problem in Tampa Bay. It was a mediocre defense past Kubina and Boyle.

KH1

I don't like Frolik nor do I think that he will be the Isles pick. Feltrin has placed a huge emphasis on two way play, energy and leadership in the last few drafts and as far as I can tell Frolik has shown none of those qualities consistently. Tlusty is much more likely for the Isles than Frolik IMO.

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
basketcase78 said:
I think they'll either take a defenseman like Wishart or Bernier in goal. They really don't need more first line-caliber forwards since they've already handcuffed themselves by commiting so much money to Lecavlier, Richards, and St. Louis longterm. Offense was never the problem in Tampa Bay. It was a mediocre defense past Kubina and Boyle.

Riku "Fricking" Helenius!

The Tampa defense corp is there deepest pool of talent. Don't diss Ranger and Rodgers and Michalek

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Alberta Yote said:
He'd be a great Coyote. But not at the expense of Ballard and the guy the Yotes can get at 8.

Yeah, no thanks. Mara, maybe (if we deal him, I'd rather have someone who could contribute immediately), but not Ballard or Michalek.

Perhaps one of Matt Spiller, Logan Stephanson(it would hurt), Jones(I doubt it, though, what with Gretzky's crush, and all), or Yandle (I doubt this, too) if Pittsburgh is insistant on a defensive prospect.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
King Henry I said:
I don't like Frolik nor do I think that he will be the Isles pick. Feltrin has placed a huge emphasis on two way play, energy and leadership in the last few drafts and as far as I can tell Frolik has shown none of those qualities consistently. Tlusty is much more likely for the Isles than Frolik IMO.
Actually, from what I've read of the scouting reports, Frolik is more of a 2way player than Tlusty. Tlusty just has more of a mean streak, so it often becomes assumed that he is also better defensively, but from all accounts, Frolik is an excellent 2way player. As far as energy and leadership go though, I can't say.

Oceanic39*

Tampa has a hoard of dmen taken in the top two rounds that are just like Wisehart. And no one they draft at 15 is going to plug the spot Kubina left anyway.

TB has taken a stay-at-home dman with size with their first pick in the last THREE drafts, and in one of those they traded down to take two of them in the 2nd round.

Your lead-pipe lock of any mock is that TB will not take a stay-at-home dman at 15.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Patrick said:

kronwall, fischer, kindl, kuznetsov, golobovsky, wallin, detroit hasent picked anything but a dman in almost what 13 years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad