Sebastian Arvidsson-Kallinge/Ronneby SWE-2

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
It's rumored that Sebastian Arvidsson is coming over on a tryout contract to play for Grand Rapids in the AHL. I assume this is Detroit trying to find another Swedish diamond in the rough.

From what I understand this guy plays in a VERY low level in Sweden (Sweden 2nd division)..but is there anyone out there that has seen him play or that knows anything about him?

http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=4656

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
There's a link at the bottom of the eliteprospects profile under rumours. It has an intervew where he talks about coming to grand rapids to try out.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Arvidsson?

sebastian_arvidsson.jpg

Are you sure you don't mean Chris Osgood(with long hair)?

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Actually, the division he's playing in would be Swe-4.

SEL
Allsvenskan
Div. 1
Div. 2

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
I can't read the full article as I'm on my phone, but does it specifically mention the Draft? I would imagine that despite this going public, no team would feel comfortable taking a kid from Div 2. I would guess he's more earmarked by the Wings as a post-draft signing during the week of 2011 undrafted free agency, with the understanding he will be loaned back to Sweden in the fall.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I can't read the full article as I'm on my phone, but does it specifically mention the Draft? I would imagine that despite this going public, no team would feel comfortable taking a kid from Div 2. I would guess he's more earmarked by the Wings as a post-draft signing during the week of 2011 undrafted free agency, with the understanding he will be loaned back to Sweden in the fall.
He's not eligible to be drafted anymore since he's over a European over the age of 22.

It says that he's going to sign a try-out contract with Grand Rapids.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Is there any other teams in grand rapids? :) Playing in the 4th highest level in Sweden thats basicly a beer league. Seems outlandish that he'd get to play in the AHL. And he wasn't actually dominating SWE-4 either :P

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Johan Franzén was also playing in the 4th tier at one point, although he was younger than Arvidsson is when he did it.

Not saying that there is any comparison between the two, just that what level a player plays at has very little relevance when it comes to judging if they have NHL potential or not.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
then again i dont think anyone thought franzen had any NHL potential when he was playing Div 3, when the Wings drafted him he was already a very good player in SEL, playing for the NT and whatnot

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Theres several NHL-players that have played in SEL-3 at a early stage of their career. But to go from SEL-4/SEL-3 to AHL as a 22-year old is kind of unheared of.

The closest thing might be Fabian Brunnström that was 21 when he put up 73 points in SEL-3 and ended up in NHL as a 23-year old. This kid Sebastian Andersson doesn't even have impressive stats at any level, so Detroits interest is kind of strange.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad