Seattle's territory

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It'd make a hell of a lot more sense for Western Montana to get the Seattle games than the Colorado games that they currently do. Six years of living in Western Montana where the Colorado teams were considered the 'home' team and I never met once met a Colorado fan actually from Montana (plenty of Seahawks fans, though).

doublejman

Oct 28, 2016
It'd make a hell of a lot more sense for Western Montana to get the Seattle games than the Colorado games that they currently do. Six years of living in Western Montana where the Colorado teams were considered the 'home' team and I never met once met a Colorado fan actually from Montana (plenty of Seahawks fans, though).

In Boise its split with Broncos and Seahawks fans but most people in the area are fans of the area colleges/minor league sports or fans of teams with national interest (Lakers, Yankees etc)

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
In Boise its split with Broncos and Seahawks fans but most people in the area are fans of the area colleges/minor league sports or fans of teams with national interest (Lakers, Yankees etc)

Boise is an island in more ways than one. This is one reason why I think placing an AHL team there will be counterproductive. Hey, I did live there for tw... er, about 10 more years than I should have.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

From time passing through Western Montana I noticed that most of the broadcast stations I got were the Seattle locals anyway, so I figured that part of the state would go to Seattle.

The West is crazy, man.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
We should probably transfer this over to the Seattle section, but as I think I've mentioned before on the megathread when this subject came up, the Seattle team territory will likely follow a similar line as the territory for the Seattle Mariners MLB team. All of WA, all of AK, much of Oregon (except Medford/Klamath Falls areas), most of ID (Boise/Coeur D'Alene, not Pocatello or Idaho Falls) and western MT. Vegas will probably end up losing most of their ID and MT territory to the new Seattle team.

It as noted all will depend on which network they sign with OR if they decide to do their own thing, which could happen if they attempt to bring aboard an NBA franchise. Root would be the favorite here IMO.
Why is Medford, Oregon not Seattle territory?

I also don't get why Vegas would get ID or MT now, shouldn't that be Abs or Flames?

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

I also don't get why Vegas would get ID or MT now, shouldn't that be Abs or Flames?
Idaho at least, is closer to Nevada I think, and Canadian teams never get any piece of US territories for whatever reason.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
Idaho at least, is closer to Nevada I think, and Canadian teams never get any piece of US territories for whatever reason.
Advertisements. They are useless when the businesses and products don't even exist within your country.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

Fairly sure Montana and Idaho are split with Vegas and Colorado now.

Avs make sense since everyone groups northern states around the Rockies with Colorado, Vegas has the Jello Belt/LDS connection with Utah/Idaho/Montana (and I assume) Wyoming.

Don't think there's any examples of territory crossing the international border, though. Last I saw, even Windsor, Ontario was Leafs country due to TV contracts and carriage.

doublejman

Oct 28, 2016

Utah Jazz, Sac Kings and The Bay area teams minus the Sharks basically claim the southern 2/3rds of Oregon. The Mariners do claim the whole state.

Vegas shares Idaho and Montana with Colorado. Vegas was able to get on the same Root Sports sub feed that airs the Utah Jazz in Idaho and Montana.

As long as the local tv providers carries the RSN why shouldn't Vegas/NHL claim places like ID or MT?

Last edited:

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Are we talking fan base or legally?

I don't see how a team can encompass a territory legally outside its respective regional boundaries. Meaning Vegas is Nevada and Seattle is Washington.

In terms of fan bases though it's clearly Oregon and Idaho.

I wouldn't include Montana, as Billings is way closer to Calgary and Denver.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Don't think there's any examples of territory crossing the international border, though. Last I saw, even Windsor, Ontario was Leafs country due to TV contracts and carriage.

In terms of TSN? Yeah. But Red Wings games will be shown in bars off ABC or NBC or whatever US network is carrying them and I would not expect many merchandise sales for the Leafs in that area. London, Ontario 2 hours east is tilted way more towards the Wings than Leafs for the same reasons.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Clearly the best case scenario is Root, and they might actually offer the most money... NBCS has commitments to the Blazers while Root has nothing after the Ms season ends.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I expect their AHL affiliate to be in Idaho.

Kinda OT for this thread.

(But to reiterate what was in that other thread, Dave Andrews has confirmed Seattle looking to put its AHL affiliate in the AHL "Pacific Division" footprint. And Idaho ain't in there. Speculation is it might be Palm Springs.)

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Kinda OT for this thread.

(But to reiterate what was in that other thread, Dave Andrews has confirmed Seattle looking to put its AHL affiliate in the AHL "Pacific Division" footprint. And Idaho ain't in there. Speculation is it might be Palm Springs.)

Idaho is till part of the pacific northwest so i would count it as part of the pacific division foot print. And last word from the team they looked at Boise and Palm Springs. There hasn't been anything new update wise since.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Do the Dakotas belong to any team? My wife's family is from there and from watching the news when we visit they show Wild highlights, but there's never any games blacked out.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
In terms of TSN? Yeah. But Red Wings games will be shown in bars off ABC or NBC or whatever US network is carrying them and I would not expect many merchandise sales for the Leafs in that area. London, Ontario 2 hours east is tilted way more towards the Wings than Leafs for the same reasons.
For sure. I'm not questioning whether fandom crosses borders, that's definitely Wings country. I was just saying that there's not going to be a Wings TV rights deal that will cross into Canada making parts of Ontario Wings "territory." So unless you've got an extended hockey package though your provider or nhl.tv, you're not going to see the Wings in Windsor unless they're playing a Canadian team or they're broadcast over the air on a local affiliate.

PurpleMouse

Apr 27, 2014
Buffalo did have a tv contract in southern Ontario a few years ago, so there is precedent for tv rights crossing borders.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Buffalo did have a tv contract in southern Ontario a few years ago, so there is precedent for tv rights crossing borders.
I'd definitely be interested in learning more about it.

If it was just an American network that happened to be carried on Southern Ontario cable or satellite due to proximity, it would be a lot like us getting hockey on CBC here in Seattle. Since we can get Vancouver TV broadcasts here over the air (and we get CBC out of Vancouver on a lot of basic cable packages,) I think they can carry it on the cable/satellite. I don't think a local Seattle station could decide to carry Canucks broadcasts, though. It has to be an over-the-air broadcast channel that can be picked up with an antenna or something.

This is all me operating on my understanding of the situations though, I'm not an expert. I definitely don't think you would see a Leafs/Wings game blacked out in Canada to support a Canadian station's Red Wings broadcast over a national Canadian Maple Leafs broadcast.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad