Seattle's territory

Dexter Sinister

Sep 26, 2015
Idahizzle
I'd think Idaho and Utah, but not sure, since as of right now those states are "Vegas territory". Vegas had their tour bus come through those areas before their first season started and started to grow a fan base out here. Their games are blacked out for us (Idaho) on the NHL.tv app. I'll be interesting to see what happens with TV deals and whatnot.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
I'd think Idaho and Utah, but not sure, since as of right now those states are "Vegas territory". Vegas had their tour bus come through those areas before their first season started and started to grow a fan base out here. Their games are blacked out for us (Idaho) on the NHL.tv app. I'll be interesting to see what happens with TV deals and whatnot.
AT&T Rocky Mountain has the Vegas Golden Knights games in Utah so I don't see how they could get Seattle games on a RSN assuming Seattle signs a deal with NBCS Northwest.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
What would be the area that would be exclusively Seattle NHL territory? Washington state is a no brainer, and probably Oregon. Idaho? Wyoming? Dakotas?
Depends on what we mean by "exclusively Seattle NHL territory."

For U.S. broadcasting rights? See other posts in this thread.

For anything else? Anything mentioned here is likely total speculation.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
What would be the area that would be exclusively Seattle NHL territory? Washington state is a no brainer, and probably Oregon. Idaho? Wyoming? Dakotas?

Exclusive territory / home territory: every county that has a portion of its territory within 50 miles of key arena.

TV territory, up to the NHL (BoG) to decide and they can change it in the future, or even have teams share TV territory outside their home territory if they choose to.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Washington and most of Oregon will be a given. The rest gets murky because of the way US cable companies work.

The overriding factor in Seattle is which RSN gets the TV deal, it could be Root Sports Northwest or NBC Sports Northwest.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Montana, not sure about the Dakotas(I would assume that is Minnesota, although they might just give multiple rights to the Dakotas)

I have a feeling Seattle and Colorado will share rights as well in some of the low population density states

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Montana, not sure about the Dakotas(I would assume that is Minnesota, although they might just give multiple rights to the Dakotas)

I have a feeling Seattle and Colorado will share rights as well in some of the low population density states

Root sports northwest only goes as far as Western Montana.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Root sports northwest only goes as far as Western Montana.

FWIW, in the NFL I’m pretty sure the Minnesota Vikings are typically televised on Fox in eastern Montana and the Seattle Seahawks are usually televised on Fox in western Montana. (The 506 Sports site, which has shown weekly TV coverage maps for Sunday afternoon NFL games for roughly the last 15 years, would have that information.) The Denver Broncos (usually televised on CBS) also have a following in much of Montana.

If the Seattle gets any part of Montana as part of their territory, it probably will only be the western third or so IMO.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
FWIW, in the NFL I’m pretty sure the Minnesota Vikings are typically televised on Fox in eastern Montana and the Seattle Seahawks are usually televised on Fox in western Montana. (The 506 Sports site, which has shown weekly TV coverage maps for Sunday afternoon NFL games for roughly the last 15 years, would have that information.) The Denver Broncos (usually televised on CBS) also have a following in much of Montana.

If the Seattle gets any part of Montana as part of their territory, it probably will only be the western third or so IMO.

Yep just the western part of Montana.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
We should probably transfer this over to the Seattle section, but as I think I've mentioned before on the megathread when this subject came up, the Seattle team territory will likely follow a similar line as the territory for the Seattle Mariners MLB team. All of WA, all of AK, much of Oregon (except Medford/Klamath Falls areas), most of ID (Boise/Coeur D'Alene, not Pocatello or Idaho Falls) and western MT. Vegas will probably end up losing most of their ID and MT territory to the new Seattle team.

It as noted all will depend on which network they sign with OR if they decide to do their own thing, which could happen if they attempt to bring aboard an NBA franchise. Root would be the favorite here IMO.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
We should probably transfer this over to the Seattle section, but as I think I've mentioned before on the megathread when this subject came up, the Seattle team territory will likely follow a similar line as the territory for the Seattle Mariners MLB team. All of WA, all of AK, much of Oregon (except Medford/Klamath Falls areas), most of ID (Boise/Coeur D'Alene, not Pocatello or Idaho Falls) and western MT. Vegas will probably end up losing most of their ID and MT territory to the new Seattle team.

It as noted all will depend on which network they sign with OR if they decide to do their own thing, which could happen if they attempt to bring aboard an NBA franchise. Root would be the favorite here IMO.

Not enough content for the 3rd RSN best bet would be root sports.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Just had that memory shake. We are talking NHL, right?

Thinking Sportschannel. ESPN has better reach, but the NHL has a history of going for the highest bidder instead of the best bidder.

I mean, that could still be Root (and most everything I've been thinking up until 4 minutes ago assumed Root would do the deed)... but we'll see if history creeps up and goes with its usual NHL flavor.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Just had that memory shake. We are talking NHL, right?

Thinking Sportschannel. ESPN has better reach, but the NHL has a history of going for the highest bidder instead of the best bidder.

I mean, that could still be Root (and most everything I've been thinking up until 4 minutes ago assumed Root would do the deed)... but we'll see if history creeps up and goes with its usual NHL flavor.

The only other option is comcast sports network northwest but that has limited reach in terms of household markets.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Which is precisely why I brought up the Sportschannel reference. In the 90s, they had a fraction of ESPN's reach.

Only reason why comcast sports network is limited reach is mostly to do on which tier its on for digital TV. Its not a basic digital channel like root sports is.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia

How far away are you from Vegas? I have DirecTV and they tried to black out games from Nashville (I live outside of Atlanta). A rep said that Atlanta is now Nashville's territory. I explained to them that according to their contract (DirecTV) they go by miles. Therefore I was granted all access to Nashville games.

Dexter Sinister

Sep 26, 2015
Idahizzle
How far away are you from Vegas? I have DirecTV and they tried to black out games from Nashville (I live outside of Atlanta). A rep said that Atlanta is now Nashville's territory. I explained to them that according to their contract (DirecTV) they go by miles. Therefore I was granted all access to Nashville games.
We're about 600 miles from Vegas - a good 8 hour drive or so.

doublejman

Oct 28, 2016
Seattle’s team will most likely be exclusive in Washington, Alaska and most of Oregon. I don’t think Wyoming or Utah will be part of Seattle’s territory, but they will probably share Idaho and and maybe parts of Montana with Vegas and Colorado. https://www.altitudesports.com/media/4514/altitude_service_regions.pdf Just because a team/NHL claims an area doesn’t mean a local tv provider will carry the team, Colorado’s RSN isn’t available on Cable One in Boise, ID even though Boise is in the AVS territory.

It will be interesting watching the TV deal. For several RSNs the majority of revenue comes not from advertising but from retransmission fees from TV providers. ROOT or NBC Sports Northwest will most likely want to see if they can renegotiate contracts with TV providers before bidding for the teams television rights. Comcast is the major television provider in Seattle, if ROOT has a long term contract with them that they can’t get out of NBC Sports Northwest may have the upper hand. When FS1 was starting up they had problems securing higher retrans fees from cable companies because of old contracts from the channel FS1 replaced.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Seattle’s team will most likely be exclusive in Washington, Alaska and most of Oregon. I don’t think Wyoming or Utah will be part of Seattle’s territory, but they will probably share Idaho and and maybe parts of Montana with Vegas and Colorado. https://www.altitudesports.com/media/4514/altitude_service_regions.pdf Just because a team/NHL claims an area doesn’t mean a local tv provider will carry the team, Colorado’s RSN isn’t available on Cable One in Boise, ID even though Boise is in the AVS territory.

It will be interesting watching the TV deal. For several RSNs the majority of revenue comes not from advertising but from retransmission fees from TV providers. ROOT or NBC Sports Northwest will most likely want to see if they can renegotiate contracts with TV providers before bidding for the teams television rights. Comcast is the major television provider in Seattle, if ROOT has a long term contract with them that they can’t get out of NBC Sports Northwest may have the upper hand. When FS1 was starting up they had problems securing higher retrans fees from cable companies because of old contracts from the channel FS1 replaced.
FS1 OR FS2.... BOTH were replaced double

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->