Seattle Will Share Charlotte Checkers with Florida This Year (Palm Springs in 2022/23)

President of Hockey

Aug 13, 2016
Surprise it's an AHL team at the other end of the country but Western Conference teams maybe didn't want to share their AHL teams?

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Surprise it's an AHL team at the other end of the country but Western Conference teams maybe didn't want to share their AHL teams?

It is probably the only other AHL team willing to share the affiliation for the extra year or two needed to completed the Palm Springs arena. Independently owned is a rarity enough nowadays. Out of the entire Western Conference, only Milwaukee, Chicago, Grand Rapids, and Colorado are independently owned. None of them are sharing. Certainly none of the other NHL teams are willing to share.

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Likely Seattle's GM Ron Francis had a familiar connection with Charlotte from his time with the Carolina Hurricanes that he was able to leverage.

Reactions: Avsrule2022

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Likely Seattle's GM Ron Francis had a familiar connection with Charlotte from his time with the Carolina Hurricanes that he was able to leverage.

One of scouts was with the canes as well. Direct flight from there to here.

Reactions: mk80

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I guess Francis still has a good relationship with the Charlotte Checkers.

I think it's dumb considering they're going to have to fly across the country, smarter to share with the Chicago Wolves honestly or even share with the Tuscon Roadrunners. It's like Seattle is meant to fail this upcoming season.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

I think it's dumb considering they're going to have to fly across the country, smarter to share with the Chicago Wolves honestly or even share with the Tuscon Roadrunners. It's like Seattle is meant to fail this upcoming season.

Why do you think it's dumb? They're not going to have many prospects in Charlotte. They might have 5-10 players signed to AHL deals. None of their 2021 draft picks will be playing in the AHL in the fall. It actually makes a lot of sense.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
It is probably the only other AHL team willing to share the affiliation for the extra year or two needed to completed the Palm Springs arena. Independently owned is a rarity enough nowadays. Out of the entire Western Conference, only Milwaukee, Chicago, Grand Rapids, and Colorado are independently owned. None of them are sharing. Certainly none of the other NHL teams are willing to share.

Exactly...it's not like Chicago would ever being willing to share for a year or anything like that.:eek::huh::(;)

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Exactly...it's not like Chicago would ever being willing to share for a year or anything like that.:eek::huh::(;)

Considering Chicago's current position with Carolina where there is only a handful of Wolves-signed players, it wouldn't be a surprise if they didn't want to go with a one-year Seattle affiliation.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Considering Chicago's current position with Carolina where there is only a handful of Wolves-signed players, it wouldn't be a surprise if they didn't want to go with a one-year Seattle affiliation.

You do realize that the Chicago Wolves LITERALLY just finished a season where they partnered with another NHL organization to place that organizations prospects in Chicago with the Hurricane prospects? Short answer...the Wolves partnered with both Carolina and Nashville this year. So what makes you think that they wouldn't do it again?

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA

The difference in flight time is 1 hour and 5 minutes. There is a difference of one time zone (Chicago is Central time, Charlotte is Eastern). So when they get sent down players will arrive in Charlotte or Chicago at the same local time. (takes and hour longer, but they "gain" an hour in the time change), and when they get called up if they left at the same time of day they will arrive in Seattle two hours later coming from Charlotte vs Chicago. Those differences are really not very significant, except for a case where both the NHL team and AHL team are at home, and a player is needed for a quick callup on game day. That doesn't happen very often. I would think Francis' personal relationships are probably a bigger factor. He likely feels his players will have better ice time or coaching, of some other aspect. Or maybe he is just doing the Charlotte owner a favor. Either way I don't think it will be the difference between success and failure in Seattle.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
The difference in flight time is 1 hour and 5 minutes. There is a difference of one time zone (Chicago is Central time, Charlotte is E astern). So when they get sent down players will arrive in Charlotte or Chicago at the same local time. (takes and hour longer, but they "gain" an hour in the time change), and when they get called up if they left at the same time of day they will arrive in Seattle two hours later coming from Charlotte vs Chicago. Those differences are really not very significant, except for a case where both the NHL team and AHL team are at home, and a player is needed for a quick callup on game day. That doesn't happen very often. I would think Francis' personal relationships are probably a bigger factor. He likely feels his players will have better ice time or coaching, of some other aspect. Or maybe he is just doing the Charlotte owner a favor. Either way I don't think it will be the difference between success and failure in Seattle.

And that 1 hour can make the difference between a player being in the lineup or in a suit in the stands...btw they don't gain an hour in Charlotte ...they lose an hour since Charlotte is an hour ahead of Chicago.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
And that 1 hour can make the difference between a player being in the lineup or in a suit in the stands...btw they don't gain an hour in Charlotte ...they lose an hour since Charlotte is an hour ahead of Chicago.
You are right - I reversed it. They arrive later going down, and earlier going up. (must be jetlagged from flying home from Denver yesterday - I was confused all week about what time it was)
I still contend that it is rare for a player to be called up and inserted in the lineup on the same day. NHL teams generally carry extra players unless they are in a real cap crunch, and they will generally plan ahead and call someone up at least a day in advance of needing them to play. That one hour is going to come into play maybe once or twice in a season, and we are generally talking about a fourth line players or backup goalie anyway.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
You are right - I reversed it. They arrive later going down, and earlier going up. (must be jetlagged from flying home from Denver yesterday - I was confused all week about what time it was)
I still contend that it is rare for a player to be called up and inserted in the lineup on the same day. NHL teams generally carry extra players unless they are in a real cap crunch, and they will generally plan ahead and call someone up at least a day in advance of needing them to play. That one hour is going to come into play maybe once or twice in a season, and we are generally talking about a fourth line players or backup goalie anyway.

I agree...and yes there is a huge benefit to being called up as you can practically skate at home and then jump on a plane after practice and make it in time to be in the line up if needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->