Seattle wants to hire a GM this summer

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I know there's a lot of smoke as far as Yzerman coming back, but have we really heard anything about Holland actually being prepared to leave? His contract does run through next season...

I wonder if another option is Holland being moved up to an executive role of some kind and Stevie coming in as the new GM. Sort of like a brain trust like Holland used to have with Devellano and Bowman. But just Holland and Yzerman. I'd be ok with that as long as Yzerman gets final say on decisions.

Reactions: Larkin1578

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I know there's a lot of smoke as far as Yzerman coming back, but have we really heard anything about Holland actually being prepared to leave? His contract does run through next season...

I wonder if another option is Holland being moved up to an executive role of some kind and Stevie coming in as the new GM. Sort of like a brain trust like Holland used to have with Devellano and Bowman. But just Holland and Yzerman. I'd be ok with that as long as Yzerman gets final say on decisions.

I wish the rumor of him leaving was true but my gut feeling is Seattle would be taking a massive gamble by banking on an over-the-hill Ken Holland to build a team from scratch. Now maybe becoming part of their brain trust is a possibility, but him calling the shots? In no way is that sensible. My guess is Holland gets passed over and remains with Detroit in an executive role like you're describing.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I wish the rumor of him leaving was true but my gut feeling is Seattle would be taking a massive gamble by banking on an over-the-hill Ken Holland to build a team from scratch. Now maybe becoming part of their brain trust is a possibility, but him calling the shots? In no way is that sensible. My guess is Holland gets passed over and remains with Detroit in an executive role like you're describing.

I think you underestimate the way the rest of the league views Holland. He is definitely hated by a segment of the Wings fan base, and another segment just want a change, but league wide he is pretty respected.

In all seriousness, has Holland ever said anything to imply he would be interested in the Seattle job? Have any reputable writers? Or is this just fan fiction?

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I think you underestimate the way the rest of the league views Holland. He is definitely hated by a segment of the Wings fan base, and another segment just want a change, but league wide he is pretty respected.

In all seriousness, has Holland ever said anything to imply he would be interested in the Seattle job? Have any reputable writers? Or is this just fan fiction?
Yeah I mean let's be real, the NHL is an old boys club. Countless examples of guys with much worse pedigrees than Holland getting immediately re-hired.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yeah I mean let's be real, the NHL is an old boys club. Countless examples of guys with much worse pedigrees than Holland getting immediately re-hired.
I'd be surprised if Seattle didn't view Holland as #1 on their short list of guys to hope for. As much as I dislike several of the moves he's made here, his overall body of work (including some of the most recent rebuilding decisions) has been top notch.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I'd be surprised if Seattle didn't view Holland as #1 on their short list of guys to hope for. As much as I dislike several of the moves he's made here, his overall body of work (including some of the most recent rebuilding decisions) has been top notch.
Yeah exactly, of all the guys who have found work after getting fired (and important to note Holland wouldn't even be getting fired in this scenario), few to none have had several Cups on their resume and made the playoffs for the better part of two decades (only counting his time as sole GM).

We're ready to move on because we've had him for decades and could use some fresh ideas. But out of the field of available potential GMs, hard to beat Holland.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
It would be a great career capper for Holland to build a franchise from the bottom - a fun challenge. And he would be one of the best candidates if I was the Seattle Franchise given his cup credentials here and how his last couple of drafts have gone here restocking our cupboard with prospects.

And then Yzerman gets to come home.

Would be interesting to see how much FO turnover and poaching there would be - that is my one worry with Holland going to the Seattle franchise and having to build it's FO from scratch - a lot of "promotions" to offer to take people with him.
Wouldn't that be Detroit the last few seasons?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Knowing the draft is in June, when does Yzerman's contract expire in TB? I'm hoping Stevie gets to have his hand in our draft this coming June 2019

Usually all contracts will expire at 30th June.

But if you are leaving for a promotion, like Jim Nill from Assistant to GM, on those cases it seems guy can leave earlier.

Yzerman's case is not promotion, imo.

We don't need him for the draft, if we would need somebody, it would be Al Murray.

Reactions: hkydave04

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Yeah let's stop this lol, Yzerman isn't going anywhere but Detroit.

He just left the arguable cup favourite before winning it all to be closer to his family. He's not gonna move across the country again for an expansion team that won't be good for at least a decade.

Vegas says Hi.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Vegas says Hi.

Vegas was a flash in the pan. They got some guys under the radar who had HUGE years.

William Karlsson had 2 less goals in 80 games than he had POINTS in his prior 162. He had a 23.4 s%. They're a decent team with a good foundation, but them making it to the Cup finals was a fluke, not an expectation. Also, Vegas was the first cap era expansion team. Teams are going to have more experience next time around and you know, NOT deal young guys like Jonathan Marchessault.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Vegas was a flash in the pan. They got some guys under the radar who had HUGE years.

A flash in the sense they won't be a top team, but expansions teams today (with some savvy picks) start with an excellent foundation for success out of the gate. Vegas overachieved, of course, but they have a solid team today and a great stable of young talent coming up. I guess what I'm saying is, that with the salary cap, expansion teams won't need to wallow around for 10 years. They can hit the ground running in half that time, which is about all we can hope for regarding the Wings, too.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
WDIV channel 4 here in Detroit is saying Holland is the front runner now for the Seattle GM job. I think this whole thing was worked out in the summer. Betmen knew they where getting a club, Kenny knew he was taking it, and Stevie knew he was coming home. Everyone is happy but Tampa, it really does suck for them sadly.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
WDIV channel 4 here in Detroit is saying Holland is the front runner now for the Seattle GM job. I think this whole thing was worked out in the summer. Betmen knew they where getting a club, Kenny knew he was taking it, and Stevie knew he was coming home. Everyone is happy but Tampa, it really does suck for them sadly.
Tampa should be happy they had a great GM for the last 8 years & groomed Brisebois well...Somehow I'm not sold on them (with the eye test), because of their defensive game. On paper & my pick to win (probability based) is Tampa, but my gut says 50/50% Tampa vs Nsh/Wpg, with no clear favorite. Too many small F's up front.

Reactions: Goalie guy

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Tampa should be happy they had a great GM for the last 8 years & groomed Brisebois well...Somehow I'm not sold on them (with the eye test), because of their defensive game. On paper & my pick to win (probability based) is Tampa, but my gut says 50/50% Tampa vs Nsh/Wpg, with no clear favorite. Too many small F's up front.

Tampa has always been at the forefront of the small forward revolution.

martin-st-louis.jpg

Funny story with this picture. It's from Sports Illustrated FOR KIDS. And here's the blurb.

"Martin St. Louis might be officially listed at 5' 9", but considering he's barely taller than the Stanley Cup, there's no way he's taller than 5' 7"."

Woah, calm down Kiddie SI.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Tampa has always been at the forefront of the small forward revolution.

martin-st-louis.jpg

Funny story with this picture. It's from Sports Illustrated FOR KIDS. And here's the blurb.

"Martin St. Louis might be officially listed at 5' 9", but considering he's barely taller than the Stanley Cup, there's no way he's taller than 5' 7"."

Woah, calm down Kiddie SI.
I hope Tampa wins the cup this year & SY comes home to Detroit (as GM) on a long overdue, well deserved high note...as long it's it's not at the RW's expense....we'll likely miss the playoffs so no biggie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad