Seattle wants to hire a GM this summer

A II R

Jun 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
The timing seems perfect for KH to SEA and Stevie Y to DET

Nick Cotsonika:

Who will hire the general manager and when?

The decision will involve ownership, Leiweke and Dave Tippett, the former NHL player and coach working for NHL Seattle as a senior adviser. It probably will come after the 2018-19 NHL season.

Tippett said he does not want to be the GM or coach. He likely will have an executive title in hockey operations.

"I have a list of guys right now, and most of them are people that I can't talk to [because they are under contract]," Tippett said. "I think there would be a benefit if we're starting in '21 to hire the GM two years in advance. I really think there would be. Tod and I have talked about this. So in that realm, you'd look at the window of next summer to start to put your staff together."

The hire will be critical.

"It's the one thing that actually causes my palms to sweat a little bit, because I think it's actually the most important thing we're going to do, building out a competitive team," Leiweke said. "That's the ultimate reward to our season-ticket holders for their faith here, and so we're going to do it right."

Seattle expansion frequently asked questions

Last edited:

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
giphy.gif

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Do it Holland. We all know that you want to. What could make your legacy more than leading an expansion team to a cup? You'll be a legend. Look at how good Vegas was immediately. Just take the job and give us Stevie Y.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
It would be a great career capper for Holland to build a franchise from the bottom - a fun challenge. And he would be one of the best candidates if I was the Seattle Franchise given his cup credentials here and how his last couple of drafts have gone here restocking our cupboard with prospects.

And then Yzerman gets to come home.

Would be interesting to see how much FO turnover and poaching there would be - that is my one worry with Holland going to the Seattle franchise and having to build it's FO from scratch - a lot of "promotions" to offer to take people with him.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Does anyone really think Holland would take a job where he has to answer to Dave Tippett?

The power structure is going to drive away experienced guys in my opinion.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Does anyone really think Holland would take a job where he has to answer to Dave Tippett?

Tippett is just an adviser for now. If Holland takes the job he may want more than just a GM title, though.

Reactions: hkydave04

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

That's a good observation. Is Tippett set up for the long-term or just while Seattle is established?

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Tippett is just an adviser for now. If Holland takes the job he may want more than just a GM title, though.

Tippett seems to want to stay on board and I can’t imagine the Seattle ownership group would just discard him now that he’s helped them this long.

Plus I would imagine that Tippet will be the guy in the room interviewing GM’s with ownership. If you’re Holland do you want that shadow looming over you?

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
That's a good observation. Is Tippett set up for the long-term or just while Seattle is established?

Everything I’ve read/heard from Tippett makes it appear that he wants to stay with Seattle long term, he just doesn’t want to be a GM or Coach. Once that ship hits rocky waters though, ownership would likely lean on him to navigate through, not the GM.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
"Tippett said he does not want to be the GM or coach. He likely will have an executive title in hockey operations."

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
Watch it come down to Yzerman and Holland and they take Yzerman...leaving the Wings without or with Holland again

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Watch it come down to Yzerman and Holland and they take Yzerman...leaving the Wings without or with Holland again

Definitely Yzerman will want to travel even more between Detroit and Seattle, when even Tampa at the same time zone became a problem.

All those Western Conference specials with 5AM arrivals back home from a road game. He is GONNA LOVE IT AGAIN !:)

Reactions: Larkin1578

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
And Yzerman heads across the country again for no apparent reason.
Yeah let's stop this lol, Yzerman isn't going anywhere but Detroit.

He just left the arguable cup favourite before winning it all to be closer to his family. He's not gonna move across the country again for an expansion team that won't be good for at least a decade.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Yzerman contract ends at Tampa - summer 2019.
Yzerman will be named as Red Wings GM at summer of 2019.
Holland has 1 year left at summer of 2019 - contract will be terminated in good faith to let Holland go to Seattle
Seattle announces Holland as their next GM at summer of 2019.

This ^
And excuse the tinfoil hat on my head but I think it's already been determined behind closed doors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad