Speculation: Seattle NHL Franchise

What is more likely to happen with the Seattle NHL franchise:

• Total voters

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Similar success to Vegas because I don't have faith that the GM's around the league will be any better at protecting key players.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
If the somehow get Gillis and Gilman they will be successfull real fast. Don't think it will happen but still would be awesome.

I would bet on Gilman being at the top of the candidates list. I've heard/seen quite a few Insiders speak about how highly regarded he is among those in the offices around the NHL.

He was part of making the expansion process go smoothly and that along with his knowledge of the cap I'd wager he's hired by them.

GloveSaveFuhr

Feb 13, 2018
None of the above. Seattle will get the same deal as Vegas and whether they go heavy with side deals or simply BPA, they'll ice a competitive team. Nothing like Vegas, alot of things went right for them.More along the lines of St. Louis.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
You'd think the GM's would learn from their Vegas mistake, but let's be honest, most of them aren't that great at their jobs.

Reactions: PM and Ryp37

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Who knows. About the only thing I'm sure of is that Seatle will likely win the Cup before Vancouver.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think Seattle will get a very good team, but not as good as Vegas. Partly because I think other teams will consider a little harder making moves to protect players, but I also really think Vegas has caught lightning in a bottle with their group.

As for their colours and name - those Totems mock ups are beautiful, and would create nice synergy with the other Seattle franchises. But their artwork for the Key Arena and fans were red and black the other day, which had some speculating on Twitter that they may go with that for their colour scheme.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I think Seattle will get a very good team, but not as good as Vegas. Partly because I think other teams will consider a little harder making moves to protect players, but I also really think Vegas has caught lightning in a bottle with their group.

As for their colours and name - those Totems mock ups are beautiful, and would create nice synergy with the other Seattle franchises. But their artwork for the Key Arena and fans were red and black the other day, which had some speculating on Twitter that they may go with that for their colour scheme.

I tend to agree with this...The more teams added, the more watered down the talent becomes. Vegas is the extreme outlier when it comes to expansion franchises, and i think it has less to do with their level of talent as much as it is excellent coaching and management.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I assume most people know that Seattle was the first american team to win a stanley cup, with the Portland rosebuds the first to contest the cup a year earlier .... Which by the way is a great trivia question ....

Reactions: Ryp37

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I assume most people know that Seattle was the first american team to win a stanley cup, with the Portland rosebuds the first to contest the cup a year earlier .... Which by the way is a great trivia question ....
You must have been away from the boards for a bit as Wetcoaster already told us of the story his father took him to his first hockey game as a child to see Seattle win the Cup.

And btw, thanks alot for reminding me that Vancouver has a LONGER Cup drought than even Seattle.:thumbd::skeptic::eek::naughty:

Reactions: DarbyHendrickson

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I tend to agree with this...The more teams added, the more watered down the talent becomes. Vegas is the extreme outlier when it comes to expansion franchises, and i think it has less to do with their level of talent as much as it is excellent coaching and management.

Agree as well, but I Vegas did so well in part because of the number of teams hamstrung by NMC/NTC clauses that cause them to make difficult decisions. Will teams structure their contracts differently knowing another expansion draft is in the near future?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I don't understand why people like the name Kraken so much, it has nothing to do with Seattle apart from being located on an ocean (which many teams are) and doesn't sound that good when it's spoken out loud. What is the plural of Kraken anyways? Krakens?

Considering that the Thunderbirds are still an existing team I say go with Totems. Seattle Totems just has a nice ring to it and could inspire some kick ass jerseys and apparel.

Green_Thunderbird_Jersey.1514995251.jpg

Love the name, logo and jersey...............good call here!!

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I think the problem whit Totems might be the First Nations, cultural appropriation risk. Other than that, it looks good, sounds good and has history.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Gotta say - this is the best thought out concept presentation I've ever seen. Lot of work went into this.

Also think the jerseys look pretty damn nice. I prefer the logo with the Needle front and center.

Behance

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

I think the colour rumour was already shot down - it was nothing more than sketch/template. Red literally makes no sense for Seattle IMO and I'd be pissed if they went that route. Doubt it happens.

Mariners, Seahawks, Sounders and even the Storm are all green. Thunderbirds have some green involved too.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Gotta say - this is the best thought out concept presentation I've ever seen. Lot of work went into this.

Also think the jerseys look pretty damn nice. I prefer the logo with the Needle front and center.

Behance

Incredible, and I'm on board with all of that.

Seattle has so many options here and I think it's hard to go wrong with name and colours.

manroth19

May 20, 2015
I heard the name a while back with the supposed “final 4” guess that was crap but I liked the name Seattle Steelhead.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville

Good God, please no more red and black.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

Behance

Wow. Great work by this guy. Also love the Van vs Sea throwbacks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad